Poker Forum - Discuss Poker Rules, Games - PokerSchoolOnline.com

Poker Forum - Discuss Poker Rules, Games - PokerSchoolOnline.com (http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/forum/index.php)
-   Challenges & Battleground (http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   2NL to 100NL TheAwesomeNW (http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41842)

TheAwesomeNW Sat Apr 14, 2012 06:20 PM

2NL to 100NL TheAwesomeNW

Hi all, just a short intro of myself. I've been playing poker on and off based on the luck factor because I have never read any articles. Zero knowledge and fundamental. Discovered PSO really recently and this is seriously the holy grail of poker! Great people and trainers here ;)

I deposited $400 some time back to give it a shot at $25NL. But was shot down to $10NL instead lol! BR went down to $100 within a week. So, I've decided to reset myself, playing at $2NL with all the new found knowledge.

I enjoy the game a lot and like everyone here, I want to take it to the next level, making this a source of income. Inspired by Felix, this challenge of $2NL to $100NL will be the first step to success in poker. Hope to have the guidance of everyone.

P.S. Pls don't steal my blinds :cool:

Lee

Ovalman Sat Apr 14, 2012 06:29 PM

Hi and welcome NW.

I think you've realised the hard way that you need to start from the bottom up and not the other way around :)

I've been playing 8 years and I'm on many forums but this is by far the best resource you'll find. You won't be shot down if you ask a naive question and the live sessions are just amazing. Sure Pokerstars wants everyone to win and just gather the rake but they've set up a great site that not everyone will use.

I'm sure after a few weeks on here you'll learn a lot and eventually recoup your losses :thumbup:

TheAwesomeNW Sat Apr 14, 2012 06:42 PM

Just got HEM2 trial version. $2NL progress so far:

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4720/resultsbf.png

Just crossed 1000 hands. Less swings compared to playing $25NL, I must have been a noob there.

Will be updating you guys again soon. Still contemplating whether to purchase HEM2 or not!

TheAwesomeNW Sat Apr 14, 2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovalman (Post %1$s)
Hi and welcome NW.

I think you've realised the hard way that you need to start from the bottom up and not the other way around :)

I've been playing 8 years and I'm on many forums but this is by far the best resource you'll find. You won't be shot down if you ask a naive question and the live sessions are just amazing. Sure Pokerstars wants everyone to win and just gather the rake but they've set up a great site that not everyone will use.

I'm sure after a few weeks on here you'll learn a lot and eventually recoup your losses :thumbup:

Thanks I think that this is the kind of support we need to keep us alive- from people from all sorts of background and level of experience. Together everyone wins more :)

Ovalman Sat Apr 14, 2012 06:57 PM

As a STT player, HEM didn't improve my game but it did enable me to multi table.

You really need to understand the stats, something which I struggle with. It does however give me a good indication of what type of player they are (loose aggressive/ tight passive etc.) and I can adopt my STT play to them.

I find HEM of more use for re-evaluating hands and plays and consider it a good investment.

I paid for it with a $50 bonus on another site for KO'ing a player, could I suggest if you claw back $55 before the trial runs out you lift it out and reward yourself for playing well and purchase it?

TheAwesomeNW Sun Apr 15, 2012 05:21 PM

Yes Ovalman I'm working hard towards getting HM2 :)

Decided to update every 1000 to 2000 hands. As and when there are spikes I'll update too.

I was on a bad run today. Missing flops with good hands and forced into difficult situations. Bad beats affected my decision making and I was playing more hands, Cbetting and barrelling with air more often, making my profits spiral down!

Is this considered a healthy graph at 2NL?

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/7334/150412.png

Guess this is part and parcel of everyone's process. Might as well document it here. Will have a good laugh about it in the future.

TheAwesomeNW Wed Apr 18, 2012 04:47 PM

Updates, after 4500 hands!

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8536/180412.png

As seen, I went down after 2000 hands. Bad beats and variance are part and parcel of the game. But after reflection, the real loss could be contributed by these factors:

1) Tilt
I wasn't focusing, making bad decisions. C-bet and barreling through the streets with air, hoping to bluff the villain.

2) Playing with Stacks
As soon as I had some profit, I played loose, going all in PF with QQ, JJ or AK. Didn't realise that my hand was vulnerable where a coin flip could decide the fate of my 100- 200 bb!

3) Position
Just saw the video on Position by TheLangolier and I played too many hands out of position.

4) Low medium pairs / AK
Struggling with these hands. Not sure how to make them profitable.

5) Multi-Tasking
Playing 2 tables, listening to songs, watching videos, reading news, chatting and eating at one go does save time. But it certainly doesn't redeem your Bankroll!

Alright I'm using HEM2 to review my plays and leaks. So many blind spots I've missed out. Will be making adjustments to my play :)

TheAwesomeNW Thu Apr 19, 2012 06:33 PM

One of my biggest pot win. Perhaps this all-in mentality caused the variance in my winnings

[replay hand_id=248785 type=ps title_id=2 showControls=1 themePath=table_PS_560x386.jpg lang=en gameEntity=0 hash=ED747314CC]

Thought process:

I was sure no one had Aces since I held one and the flop had one. But, I was taking a risk against QQ. But i reckoned QQ wouldn't call my $0.44 PFR. So I scaled down to their ranges AK / KK.

Got lucky and paired my Ace. But didn't think they had much weaker holdings to play this big PF.

TheAwesomeNW Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:06 PM

Just crossed 7500 hands:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/392/210412.png

Finally broke even. Super slow progress. Won some big pots here and there.

Realised I tend to disbelieve that loose opponents hold the nuts and I make the call. That's when the downs happen.

TheAwesomeNW Mon Apr 23, 2012 05:36 PM

Ups and downs!

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8018/230412.png

These 2 sessions I was lucky to have been dealt several premium hands. Some downs were due to bad calls, some were bad beats.

The below 2 hands I lost to a fish who can go all in with 33 or QT. After 74 hands, he was 39/37, 3 bet 26%. He had weak holdings and often used his stack to bluff. I can't believe the 4th and 5th street were so good to him! My most recent Bad Beats!

[replay hand_id=250597 type=ps title_id=2 showControls=1 themePath=table_PS_560x386.jpg lang=en gameEntity=0 hash=156D700413]

[replay hand_id=250600 type=ps title_id=2 showControls=1 themePath=table_PS_560x386.jpg lang=en gameEntity=0 hash=5C71ACB8DE]

I think I did the right thing shoving all in because I figured the other 2 villains would not have AA from the way they played.

Anw, I feel more confident of my plays after soaking myself into poker knowledge. I still make very bad calls now and then due to curiosity but it's going to change:)

TheAwesomeNW Sat Apr 28, 2012 06:22 PM

Heys all! Updates on my progress. Crossed 14000 hands.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2710/280412.png

I'm making little profits every single day. Today I played the longest hours, right at the start took the biggest hit of -$10 from the 12500th hand, and then fighting back up again.

Somehow at the start of each session I tend to go down. But for today, it was due to complacency and chasing cards. I was also experimenting with 'Fold Equity' where I shoved all in when I had the 2nd best hand, not sure if I had the best. Apparently, I couldn't get some hands to fold, and thus I faced the huge $10 down.

I hope my future swings will not be that big. Still learning about fold equity. These few days let me learn more about reading HUDs, exploiting player types. It is indeed very important to select tables with FISH. Playing in a table full of TAGs proves non-profitable unless you're a strong LAG.

Feel free to leave any comments!

TrustySam Sun Apr 29, 2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeNW (Post %1$s)
was also experimenting with 'Fold Equity' where I shoved all in when I had the 2nd best hand, not sure if I had the best. Apparently, I couldn't get some hands to fold, and thus I faced the huge $10 down.

That mirrors my day ... it's my first weekend playing zoom, so I was hoping the tables would be softer, but gosh people were just not folding, even when I had an actual hand that was good ... on the flop ... sigh ...

I wound up tightening way up and things turned around, although my luck did too, so sometimes it's hard to tell what's what.

Interesting to hear that your weekend was different from usual for you too, especially since my graph kind of looks like yours except I've only played about 5,000 hands so far. Will be interesting to see next weekend if all weekends are like today or whether today was just funny or what. Maybe weekends require some adjustment or something, you think?

PS Some nice steady profits there - nice going!! :thumbup:

TheAwesomeNW Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrustySam (Post %1$s)
That mirrors my day ... it's my first weekend playing zoom, so I was hoping the tables would be softer, but gosh people were just not folding, even when I had an actual hand that was good ... on the flop ... sigh ...

I wound up tightening way up and things turned around, although my luck did too, so sometimes it's hard to tell what's what.

Interesting to hear that your weekend was different from usual for you too, especially since my graph kind of looks like yours except I've only played about 5,000 hands so far. Will be interesting to see next weekend if all weekends are like today or whether today was just funny or what. Maybe weekends require some adjustment or something, you think?

PS Some nice steady profits there - nice going!! :thumbup:

Never really thought about that, the weekend theory is kind of new haha. Weekend = more fish?

I think the only difference I made was to find a FISH MARKET and sit in position to the fish. When you're lucky there tends to be maniacs who always raise to $1 or shove all in. Opponents do matter a lot :)

Variance does kick in. I lost a few multiway pots today despite having the highest equity. Also lost with 99 vs 88. But as long as the decision was right, we'll still make money in the long run!

Feskprins Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:37 AM

I'm really impressed by your red line. Mine is so far down the cellar it's almost poking Satan in the ass. Although that's actually part of my game plan, because I will make obvious bluff sometimes because that helps me get paid in my big hands and it works really well (unless it's against JDean, he will just suck out on your kings with A7).

Keep up the nice pace!

....:cool:

TheAwesomeNW Mon Apr 30, 2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feskprins (Post %1$s)
I'm really impressed by your red line. Mine is so far down the cellar it's almost poking Satan in the ass. Although that's actually part of my game plan, because I will make obvious bluff sometimes because that helps me get paid in my big hands and it works really well (unless it's against JDean, he will just suck out on your kings with A7).

Keep up the nice pace!

....:cool:

Haha thanks! How do you analyse the red and blue lines? :)

TheAwesomeNW Tue May 01, 2012 10:49 PM

21000 hands

I tried 4 tables for 2 days. The reason for multitabling was because I was very impatient and wanted action, and of course profits. Had awesome results initially, making almost $10, but turned out to be horrible tilt. I was back to my old habits, opening loosely, Cbetting and bluffing too often.

There were some good reads, laying down my AKs when I ranged my opponent only shoving with premium pairs.

Bad times were part and parcel of the game. There were a few hundred hands where I just didn't flop anything. AK, KQ were costing me money whenever I played them. The rockets and KK were just not getting any action. This put me on serious tilt and I was complaining to Dr.Kauffer.

Once I was putting a villain of trips, I held a QQ overpair. He shoved, and I made the most retarded call out of curiosity. This cost me $5 to let me find out I was spot on. All these things tilt does is so sick.

Results after 4000 hands of 4 tabling:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8905/020512.png

After thoughts:

4 tabling is compressed effort and stress. Everything comes in a bundle, bad beats and also AA. Tilt doesn't just come when you had a bad beat. Anything related to emotions affecting the way you play your hands = tilt. Eg, Right from the start I got picked on by a guy and he kept reraising me, catching my semibluffs. I went on to play an emotional game.

Poker is a game of incomplete info. Multitabling guarantees us to miss out more info.

4 or 2 or 1 tabling? I'll continue 4 tabling for now to see if I can adjust, yielding more results :)

TheAwesomeNW Tue May 15, 2012 05:15 PM

33000 hands

I'm back to 1 tabling after 4 tables proved too much for me. Compressed stress and not enough observations.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/1492/150512.png

My confidence took a big hit last week despite 1 tabling as I've been losing almost everyday. At times, I don't even know if this is poker after crazy suckouts. Premium hands not getting action, not flopping etc...

I'm glad I'm back on track again. I barely touched $40 thrice, hoping to cross it again.

After reviews, my direction now is "Losing less is winning more". Managing tilt and emotions is a large part I've yet to master.

PS: 30 days have passed and I purchased HM2 although not hitting $89.99 :)

behappy621 Thu May 24, 2012 01:55 AM

Keep Going

You are getting some hands in!
Just keep at it, once you feel your game is solid, just add another table.
but you can definately can make same amount of profit from 1/2 tables than 3/4+
however if you feel you get tilted, which i did at the beginning, i found having multi
tables actually reduced my tilt because where on one table i have a tough spot,
i could be dealt a decent hand like AKs or QQ/JJ on another and easily fold a tough
spot and get more value from the other table.

Remember only get annoyed if you think you played it wrong, then just try to correct that play next time it arises. Not because you got sucked out on.

doing well as far as i can see, keep going and be Awesome :D:thumbup:

TheAwesomeNW Thu May 24, 2012 04:09 PM

Nearing 36000 hands

I feel better focusing at the game. No longer watching videos and multitasking. Now I get more excited when ranging opponents.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2097/240512.png

Must say I was on a good run coupled with several bad opponents to make the graph soar :cool:

bearxing Thu May 24, 2012 07:34 PM

Good reads

I find it is a great feeling when I have a good read on an opponent who makes a big bet when I know I have him crushed. I can come back over the top with complete confidence. Go ahead, make my day, bet again. But you can only get good reads to be certain of their hand if you have been paying attention. Not only when they are in a hand with yourself, but when they are in a hand with others. Congratulations on turning around your southward bankroll plunge.

Keep heading north
Doug