Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Some Advice for a Semi Noob ?

Old
Some Advice for a Semi Noob ? - Sat Nov 19, 2011, 05:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
BronzeStar
Can anyone give me some advice on how I played this hand incorrectly, and what the proper call(s) should have been:

Dealt to SkinyButPhat [Qd Qh]
john12312333: folds
NIKOLA3222: folds
luinsor72: raises 400 to 600
puhina: calls 600
sEmEnS720: folds
SkinyButPhat: calls 600
leviarkosi: calls 600
McGavinSWE: folds
escanfraga: folds
*** FLOP *** [3s 6h Tc]
luinsor72: bets 3970 and is all-in
puhina: folds
SkinyButPhat: calls 2205 and is all-in
leviarkosi: folds
Uncalled bet (1765) returned to luinsor72
*** TURN *** [3s 6h Tc] [Ad]
*** RIVER *** [3s 6h Tc Ad] [Js]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
luinsor72: shows [Jc Ah] (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
SkinyButPhat: shows [Qd Qh] (a pair of Queens)
luinsor72 collected 7290 from pot
SkinyButPhat finished the tournament in 2105th place

I feel like I made the right play, did I just get beat by a lucky turn and river ??????

Old
Sat Nov 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
*Moved*

I recognize your name as I commented on your blog Skiny. Welcome to the forum.

As you look at the forum index, you will see descriptions for each forum. I moved this to our Hands Analysis one so that our community can give you some feedback.
Personally, you want to try and provide a little more info for a good analysis, like villain types..what game is it..how long until the bubble and so on...but this looks like it could have easily been a 3-bet jam preflop..at least a raise. You want to have good credit on the flop so at least reraise and show your strength. Either way, you got unlucky once the money went in.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

edit...looking again..jam all day pre ..just unlucky because I think the villain is loose and calling.

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Sat Nov 19, 2011 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: 8-)

Old
Sat Nov 19, 2011, 06:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator, Hand Analyzer)
BronzeStar
With QQ, you absolutely must raise preflop. Calling will allow people with hands that can draw out on you to see cards cheap... which you do not want to do.

If it were me, I'm raising to 1800 preflop (or shoving) and shoving whatever's left on the flop.

You want to be the aggressor in the hand, not reactionary to your opponents moves. Take the lead in the hand when you get a monster hand and you'll be better off in the long run, as the pressure will then be on your opponent, not on you.

Old
Sat Nov 19, 2011, 07:14 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
This is a very standard 3-bet all in preflop. By the way, you really should include stack sizes at the beginning, since that is what determines the best play preflop (and post). With the raise being about 1/4 your stack this is a super easy shove. Results on this hand won't change, but the money should all have gone in pre.