Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Women's section /

Gender-Neutral Poker Terms?

Old
Gender-Neutral Poker Terms? - Wed Dec 21, 2011, 01:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
I'm curious about something. Whenever people talk about SNG's with set entrant amounts, people often call them 9-man's, 45-man's, etc. For a few months now, I've been avoiding those terms and have been using terms like STT and 45-player torunament, etc.

I've never heard any complaints though, so I'm just wondering if anyone cares about the dfference.

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 01:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
My personal opinion is

man as in the species man not the gender man.

The same thing applies with the term man power.

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

Sextuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 02:03 AM
(#3)
I don't see that anyone will care about this except the usual "Politically Correct " brigade, grade B is right in that it is a general term rather than a sex specific term.

However I can't understand how we can have Women Only tournaments without the equivalent Men Only tournaments being available,surely this is far more sexist...............I'm going to go and hide now while everybody has a go !

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 02:20 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Ladies tournaments are intended to encourage women to play. I think adding more women can only be good for the game, because from an intellectual perspective, the women who play well would only make the game more challenging, and therefore more satisfying.

And while I (and a number of my dictionaries) agree that the word man can be used to refer to a person (generally, absent of gender), the fact that the English language defers to the masculine in the absense of gender does upset some people. It's politically correct to use gender-neutral terms for a reason. Feelings matter.

Still waiting for a woman to post in this thread, though.

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 03:54 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
It doesn't really matter to me, either term is fine. Sometimes I think we are getting a little silly with trying to be so politically correct all the time.

Old
Wed Dec 21, 2011, 05:30 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
It doesn't really matter to me, either term is fine. Sometimes I think we are getting a little silly with trying to be so politically correct all the time.

YAY!!!!!

I'm so glad a woman came in and said what I was thinking!

Thanks Joy!!

Old
Thu Dec 22, 2011, 12:58 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Grade b is spot on for me too! Good answer!

Old
Thu Dec 22, 2011, 02:41 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Cool. I've had a few college professors who hated terms like this, but I'm glad to hear that it's not a common perspective.

Old
Thu Dec 22, 2011, 04:09 AM
(#9)
I really hate political correctness.

The minority starts dreaming up solutions for people that dont have a issue with the way things are.
For example: Christmas is constantly under attack. "Merry Christmas" is always "Happy Holidays"
in the malls. I actually boycott these stores that try to dummie down Christmas. Im not religious but it is a tradition I embrace.

I did notice you using different terms and figured you had a reason for doing so and left it at that.
To each his own as long as it is not something rammed down peoples throats with out checking to see if those that are supposedly offended are actually offended.

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 03:48 AM
(#10)
One of our female members used to refer to sit n go's as boy-girl tourneys, it made me

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 04:07 AM
(#11)
Since: Dec 2010
(Supermoderator, Hand Analyzer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaxwell View Post
One of our female members used to refer to sit n go's as boy-girl tourneys, it made me
this FTW^^

I also agree with Grade b!

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Cannon - Supermoderator, Hand Analyzer, Podcast Host

Find me on: Facebook & Twitter

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 07:29 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
I believe that would be the lovely MeowSassKitty that coined the phrase boy/girl!

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 08:15 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
lol

Old
Fri Dec 23, 2011, 05:12 PM
(#14)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Just heard this again on CBC radio this morning. How ridiculous and hilarious political correctness can get....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZm0FekSWjQ

Happy holidays, all!