Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

to steal or not to steal

Old
Wink
to steal or not to steal - Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
just over 10 BB and stove tells me A2 vs. ATC gives me 55% win!

is it justified to try or iw it the wrong spot with A rag?

Old
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
Not sure how far along we are and what stakes. How close to the money? This looks like at least 45 player, correct?

If we're close to the money, folding might be an option if you really want to cash.

If you're already in, or far from the money, folding our way past the bubble isn't an option. In that case, A2 is reasonably ahead of any random two cards (there's the 55%, I would have expected it to be more), and with a 6 BB stack, I'd say go for it and hope for the best. The guy behind could wake up with anything, and unless he finds a pair he's gonna have to draw out. You just ended up with the short end of the straw here.

PS: typo on your 10 BB? Seems you have a 1515 stack before antes, so that's a puff more than 6BB. With your 150 already in there, you've got a 5.5 BB stack left...

---------------------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:17 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
jig jig normaly the mod's respond right here or do i have to put it in a specific map for hand analysis! not sure about the new layout yet

feel free to comment any time i am the one asking not the rest !!

tnx for the comments

btw this is PSO premier after about 1.5 hours in play missed on AK and AQ earlier in the tour and stayed in because of 2 steals before. played only 5 hands or so

Old
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:24 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Hi Jig,
This post is appropriate here. This forum is for, "Discussions for all parts of tournament strategy (early, middle, bubble or late)."
Being as the op is asking about tournament strategy and not specifically HA for the hand, it fits.

All forum descriptions can be found at the main forum index. (Just hit the forum tab to get there.)

Thanks!

Old
Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator, Hand Analyzer)
BronzeStar
Hi 77wopke77!

For the league games, the goal is to survive as long as possible so that you can get a higher point total. In this situation, for a league game, if I were playing the hand, I would not have shoved here. For league games, I would not want to be all-in unless I knew I had the best hand.

In a cash mtt, I like the shove with A2, but since it's a league game, I may call or raise, but I would not want to shove without a made hand.

This is a good example of where the strategy for a league game would be different than a standard tourney.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Team PokerSchoolOnline - John - Super Moderator, Hand Analyzer

Triple Bracelet Winner