Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

A close shave with a set

Old
A close shave with a set - Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi

It's a long time since I played any limit holdem but my NL game is in need of some adjustment and my hand reading skills are not up to scratch, this hand demonstrates this to some extent.

Also I am interested to hear your thoughts on the way I played the hand. Here's what I was thinking on each street.

[PREFLOP]
I'm UTG+1 with a small/mid PP and UTG has limped, I think I'll over limp and try to spike a set. So I call.

[FLOP]
Bingo!
No one showed any strength pre-flop so I think my set of 7's is good the BB's lead could mean he has 2 pair, a Q or a flush draw or he's just leading out into a limped pot. There is a potential flush draw and a Q on board. I think I'll raise to get value from 2 pair, flush draws & Qx (notice I over looked the disguised straight draw). So I bet.

[TURN]
No re-raises on the flop and the 5 looks like a brick to me (hand reading error again). I still think I'm up against Qx type hands and flush draws. I think I'll lead out for value. So I bet.

Hmmmm. 2 Callers and a raise from UTG. I think BS!! he's probably just raising AcQc or similar trying to get me off a worse Qx or has picked up a pair plus straight draw. He's only got 1 big bet left so I might as well put him all in. So I re-raise.

[RIVER]
OMG! Phew! That was a close shave, I wonder how I should have played that hand.

In general I'm not being too hard on my self for missing the straight as 63s is pretty well disguised and it is the reason I've switched to limit after all. I am keen to hear your thoughts on the hand. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by A.P.Dent42; Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 08:11 AM..

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 01:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Mentioned in: 49 post(s)
Hi Dent,

Limping preflop is fine in a loose-passive game dynamic, although in a more tight-aggressive full ring game small pairs are just a fold preflop from EP.

On the flop I'm definitely raising as much as they'd like, we almost certainly have the best hand here (almost everyone would have raised preflop with QQ).

On the turn, I think your 3 bet is good... yes straights are possible (63 and 86) but opponents will be check-raising with more worse hands than this, like lower sets and any 2 pair, and sometimes they'll be overplaying top pair+flush draw as well, or even just playing a slow played AA/KK this way (it's not good, but they'll do it). So all in all I think 3 betting for value is certainly in order. And even when they do have a straight, you still have 10 outs to improve on the river.

I like how you played this on every street (preflop assuming it's a loose dynamic).

Dave

Head Live Trainer

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
Thanks Dave!

Yes it was a looseish passiveish table and I thought the post in MP would give an extra incentive to other players to limp along.

Btw are you planning any more limit live training sessions?

Old
Sun Jan 15, 2012, 11:15 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Mentioned in: 49 post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.P.Dent42 View Post
Btw are you planning any more limit live training sessions?
Not in the immediate future, no. If you'd like to submit a session for a member review, I can try to squeeze it in though.

Dave

Head Live Trainer

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 18, 2012, 01:13 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
Think that's how I'd have played the hand throughout. Flush draw was glaring and you done well to isolate your opponent. 63s ep from your opponent is spewing chips but from his point of view I don't think he done wrong from the flop onwards. 77 is a fine limp on a passive table, always be aware who's calling/ raising behind you though as you will lose chips calling out of position with hands like 77.