Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Live Training /

Stud Hi/Lo

Old
Stud Hi/Lo - Tue Mar 06, 2012, 12:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Do any of you guys have any experience in Stud Hi/Lo?

I've played it play money and I've really enjoyed it, but I really don't know much about it..
Doyle says in "Super System" that this is usually a really profitable game with a lot of weak players. I think this still should be very true as it's not as popular as Hold'Em. I think it'd be fantastic to have a Live Training session on this game. Playing only Hold'Em day after day might get a little boring to some ( I know I feel this way sometimes ) and Stud Hi/Lo seems like a good alternative. The low variance (especially compared to the second most popular game of Omaha) and the theory that there should be weaker players in Stud sounds appealing to me as something I could play when NL Hold'Em just gets "boring". Would be nice to be able to take a break from Hold'Em once in a while and still be able to sit down and make a couple dollars while playing cards.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Luke

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 05:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer, Hand Analyzer)
Hi Luke,

I have experience at Stud Hi/Low, but the training tool doesn't support stud games only flop games. I ran a high low split poker mentor class back in the day which was basically 3 parts, hi/low split pot game concepts in general, then sections on LO8 and S8. Despite this being requested, when I put it together and actually ran it the attendance was quite low (the lowest of any mentor group I ran). Bottom line is the demand is just not there to warrant it.

As the school grows we may cover this in the future, or maybe I will put together a one-off theory class on the basics of sound S8 strategy, but ultimately there won't be a devotion to it in live training at this time.

If you are looking for good resources for S8 study, not sure how keen you might be on poker books but I would recommend Ray Zee's Hi/Low Split Poker for Advanced Players, and the Stud/8 section by Todd Brunson in Supersystem 2 is excellent.

Thanks,
Dave

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Dave - Head Trainer, Hand Analyzer

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 06:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Luke,

I have experience at Stud Hi/Low, but the training tool doesn't support stud games only flop games. I ran a high low split poker mentor class back in the day which was basically 3 parts, hi/low split pot game concepts in general, then sections on LO8 and S8. Despite this being requested, when I put it together and actually ran it the attendance was quite low (the lowest of any mentor group I ran). Bottom line is the demand is just not there to warrant it.

As the school grows we may cover this in the future, or maybe I will put together a one-off theory class on the basics of sound S8 strategy, but ultimately there won't be a devotion to it in live training at this time.

If you are looking for good resources for S8 study, not sure how keen you might be on poker books but I would recommend Ray Zee's Hi/Low Split Poker for Advanced Players, and the Stud/8 section by Todd Brunson in Supersystem 2 is excellent.

Thanks,
Dave
Hey Dave,

Yea, I understand where you're coming from. No use in a class that will have only a few people listening. It'd definitely be nice to see something like "Stud Hi/Lo Basics" done by you, but in the mean time I'm fine with just checking up on books and things of that sort. Not really in a rush to start learning a new game as I still have so much to learn in Hold'Em. Just wanted to throw the question out there to see what the situation is with this game is in a trainer's eyes. In the meantime, I will definitely check out the literature you've mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback,
Luke