Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Live Training /

VPP Restrictions on Live Classes

Old
VPP Restrictions on Live Classes - Tue Mar 13, 2012, 08:19 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer, Hand Analyzer)
Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce a change to the restrictions for attending live training for all PSO members. Effective immediately, we are changing the viewer restriction to 0+ VPP for all classes.

What this means is, everyone can attend a live training session as a viewer, regardless of how many VPP's they've earned.

In other words, let's say a member has 0 VPPs... if they go to the registration page for a class that has a 20+ or 150+ restriction on it, they still will not be able to join this class as a participant as the restriction applies to participants, however as of now they WILL be able to join as a viewer and enter the live classroom.

The only difference between participants and viewers, is that participants can type in the chat box, while viewers can not. Viewers can still see and hear everything.

We hope this change will be welcomed by members below the 150 vpp level as an opportunity to see some of these restricted classes while working on advancing their game.

If you have any questions please ask here.

Thanks,
Dave

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Dave - Head Trainer, Hand Analyzer

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 10:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2010
Thank you very much for it

very appreciate

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
A very positive move.

Well done PSO - getting back to catering for all those that really want to learn rather than just those who can afford to. Has to be good for PSO and PS in the long run. The home of future poker stars after all.

Good luck all - get in for some great quality training.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 11:23 PM
(#4)
Hi Dave,

A good move by PSO and where we would like to see them gone completely a nice compromise.

So does this mean that the restrictions in the video archives will be removed as well?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

Sextuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 11:35 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Hi Dave,

A good move by PSO and where we would like to see them gone completely a nice compromise.

So does this mean that the restrictions in the video archives will be removed as well?

Grade b
Good question Grade b!

- (Now I'm not saying PSO are not very good at joining up the dots and I am sure they have already thought of this - but as they have not specified, it is well worth asking.)

It would seem odd to be able to view live but NOT recorded. (I cannot watch live Uk broadcast TV as I don't have a UK TV licence but I can watch on BBCiplayer/4OD/ITVPlayer etc. after broadcast.)

Good luck and good training all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2011
Hi Dave thanks so much for that I really enjoy the live lessons, will this also mean we can watch the videos at the higher level too ?

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 11:39 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I think that's a pretty descent compromise to removing restrictions altogether for LT.
now at least vppless members can at least attend and soak it in. and hopefully participants can just as a plethora of questions not just for participants but viewers alike, knowing they cant ask. i'd be willing, though i type super slow good move in the right direction PSO.
may the tinfoil protect you
MT

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 11:43 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillipops View Post
Hi Dave thanks so much for that I really enjoy the live lessons, will this also mean we can watch the videos at the higher level too ?
this makes perfect sense, since you cant ask questions of a video either

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 01:33 AM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
A very welcome change.
Live Training is such a valuable resource. You may count me among its satisfied "viewers."
Thank you PSO.

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 02:40 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
As an American, I didn't even bother with the scheduled classes since the VPP restrictions applied. At least now I have the option to attend.

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 04:58 AM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2010
A very positive move, and sure to be welcomed by a lot of PSOer's.

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:31 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
As an American, I didn't even bother with the scheduled classes since the VPP restrictions applied. At least now I have the option to attend.
Only about half the classes had a VPP restriction, and those were lifted for US members, so you've been missing out unnecessarily if you wished to attend.

Now there will be an avenue for ALL members, regardless of VPP status, to attend a live session.

Dave

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillipops View Post
will this also mean we can watch the videos at the higher level too ?

This is being discussed... and you're right, viewers can't chat in the classroom, and video watchers can't chat on a video. I'm not sure this will change though, because they do want there to be an incentive to attend the live classes (and so do I tbh ). And it would require an overhaul of the video articles on the back end to change those. So my best guess at this time is no, but we'll have to wait and see. If it does change we'll announce that here.

Thanks,
Dave

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
VPPs - Wed Mar 14, 2012, 07:11 AM
(#14)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
A really good and thoughtful compromise that will allow all PSO players to view the live trainings.

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 07:27 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
So let's use "PSO logic" as I believe it to have been stated in the past. Specifically, the more VPP's you have, the more experienced you are and the more likely you will be to benefit from the "high end" material. I'm pretty sure it was also claimed that allowing players from the lower end of the VPP scale to view this material would introduce them to concepts that may confuse them and possibly harm rather than help their game.

If this is true, are they not the people that would have the greatest need to ask questions ?

Old
Restricted Videos - Wed Mar 14, 2012, 07:51 AM
(#16)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post

Grade b
Allow me to chime in here as well.

I understand that low VPP players, like myself, do not play in the same types of buy-in games, and therefore face restrictions in the video archives. These restrictions can both be argued on the basis of relevance of the level of play, and that a low VPP player contributes less money to PokerStars. However, consider these points:

What about satisfying a members' academic curiosity? If someone has viewed all the lower level videos then what is to keep them interested, unless they see what they can shoot for ultimately? Agreed that it is a very good idea to label their relevance to a player, so to serve as a caution to those of us who have small bankrolls. But what information could there be in these videos that is worth keeping a secret? There is no shortage of higher stakes videos and discussion on television and the internet. PokerStars TV is a good example of this.

Finally, I believe what PSO offers the most in its instruction is its credibility. There are other sites providing that are not as credible. I feel comfortable that the information and advice found here is top notch.

Old
Thu Mar 29, 2012, 04:32 AM
(#17)
Since: Mar 2011
Its hard to please everyone but I think PSO does a fine job as they are very flexible in their approach

I (and im sure that their are novices as bad as me somewhere) have a lot of trouble understanding the non VPP training so I personally do see a reason why (ok i will say it - muppets like me) can only view and as someone has already pointed out the cleverer/more experience ones participating will likely to ask the more relevant questions

By the way I am not saying all players with no VPP are muppets just wanted to make that clear before i get flamed

good luck everyone

rolo

Old
Thu Mar 29, 2012, 08:19 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
So let's use "PSO logic" as I believe it to have been stated in the past. Specifically, the more VPP's you have, the more experienced you are and the more likely you will be to benefit from the "high end" material. I'm pretty sure it was also claimed that allowing players from the lower end of the VPP scale to view this material would introduce them to concepts that may confuse them and possibly harm rather than help their game.

If this is true, are they not the people that would have the greatest need to ask questions ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo834 View Post
I (and im sure that their are novices as bad as me somewhere) have a lot of trouble understanding the non VPP training so I personally do see a reason why (ok i will say it - muppets like me) can only view and as someone has already pointed out the cleverer/more experience ones participating will likely to ask the more relevant questions
I'm making two assumptions here. The first is that you're referring to me. The second is that there was no great response to my post because it was misunderstood.

Having read what I posted again I can see it's a bit ambiguous. But what I was actually saying is that I believe it's the "less experienced" players that have a greater need to ask questions. If you're already at an "intermediate" level, I would expect what you see to complete your jigsaw, not cause you to ask further questions.

Old
Thu Mar 29, 2012, 11:15 PM
(#19)
Since: Mar 2011
Without even reading what you have typed..I was in no way referring to you

I was just thanking Dave the Langoilier for allowing me to watch the 20VPP (ask him if u dont beleive me ) as I mentioned it during one of his training classes)

Theres plenty of videos to watch now

Ok i go read what you said now

Ohh yes darkman true but if yor a complete novice like me then 20VPP are too advanced(actually shouldnt say this as not seen any forgot about tonights but theyprobabaly are

Everyones different .eeeryone learns at different pace(im slow) - so its hard for tutors ot instructors to teachas everyone is at a different level and understands different things - but all I meant to say was once I have seen the non 20VPP that they are now oops will be available on video the 20VPP ones i mean

Last edited by rolo834; Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: read his more so added a bit to mine lol