Home / Community / Forum / PSO Lounge / Off-Topic Discussions /

Enjoying a Poker win...Spending the $!!!

Old
Enjoying a Poker win...Spending the $!!! - Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:16 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
It occurs to me that a big part of the enjoyment of poker is spending the money you win.

Well last tuesday I won a small amount in a live poker league tournament. The buy in was just $50, and the total prize was just $200 ($150 profit), but any win is a good win!

To show the FUN of poker, I will continually update this with what I SPENT the money on.

ENJOY!

WEND:

$21.44 for a 19 piece family friend chicken dinner (with fries and cole slaw) at Cal's Chicken. This should hold 2 people for dinner, plus lunch tomorrow, and a midnight snack.

Cal's = yum yum! Not as good as some chicken places for the meat, but the BEST cole slaw (even better than KFC's, which is awesome!).

$150.00
- $21.44
------------
$128.56

<more to come later!>

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:28 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
so no reinvesting for remaining games?

Grade b

but now i'm hungrey

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

Sextuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 15, 2012, 03:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
I mentioned this in another thread last week and as I hadn't done it for ages it reminded me that about $15 cash out from PS gets me an 'all you can eat' Chinese buffet lunch at Jimmy Chung's on Waverley Bridge - with views of Edinburgh Castle / Princes Street / Princes Street gardens.

Having been reminded last week I went and did it on Thursday.

Now 'lunch' is basically from when they open till about 5pm. I gorged for about 3 hrs - and that really was all I could eat - believe me if I could have forced more in I would have.

I always start with ribs, and reckon I got through 20-25 of those - I counted my plates and it was a 7-course meal including the hot & sour soup.

I was always a big lad, topped 20 stone in my rugby playing days, but now I'm much older and skinnier and most of my meals are soup, bread and butter, and fruit.

The point is I do have to count my pennies, and I would rarely do that sort of thing if I hadn't had a good week or two at the tables, and a 'treat' of whatever you are into is often a good incentive to keep playing, keep improving and to try be profitable at whatever level you play. It is a challenging game and the only real measure of success is winnings, after all.

When you do win something, big or small, it's nice to get a reward out in the real world, rather than just the extra $ on your BR.

good luck all -

I shall try to control my gluttony

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Thu Mar 15, 2012, 04:26 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Yeah dude you have to have a little fun once and a while! Back in the day I made a couple small Pokerstars withdrawels from 2NL cash game earnings. First was $50 I decided to treat myself and my two roomates to a quality meal at an asian restaurant. Second time I withdrew $125 and bought myself a $120 bottle of Cognac lol...

That brings me to my next point: BUY AN ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE OF SOME KIND(*unless of course you do not imbibe). I would highly recommend you purchase a large premium bottle of beer. My personal recommendation would be Peak XV (~$7 per bottle). Another great choice would be Brother Theloneus (~$10 per bottle) -- drinking this is a borderline religious experience that may bring you closer to enlightenment... atleast for a temporary amount of time. I really can't think of anything better to spend some of those poker winnings on.

Choose wisely sir JDean and enjoy making your purchases, whatever they end up being. I completely understand your perspective on this and agree with your conclusions. Have fun!

Old
Thu Mar 15, 2012, 05:00 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
To me it's all about the BR - that's probably my inner nit, the one that has been grinding for a couple of years now.

The BR is more important to me because I can never reload, so every dollar is precious. I made a deal with the devil lol. Everyone plays for a different reason, but anything that gives you motivation works.

Old
Fri Mar 16, 2012, 03:28 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
I wrote an article a couple of years back about rewarding yourself. Recently I just bought a new pr of cowboy boots similar to these.

http://www.ariat.com/Western/Women/F...r=RUSSET_REBEL

Giddy Up!

Old
Fri Mar 16, 2012, 03:35 AM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
drinking this is a borderline religious experience that may bring you closer to enlightenment... atleast for a temporary amount of time.
Drinking the cheap stuff always does it for me. Maybe I lack any sophistication whatsoever.

I view small treats as a leak in my ROI, so I really don't take any unless I see them having an immediate positive impact on my poker performance. I'm not a very fun person.

Old
Fri Mar 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
(#8)
This is a fun thread ... everything feels so much more precious when it's been hard-earned I think, eh?

It's also fun to hear what treats there are in other peoples' parts of the world. I watch the Food Network all the time, and there's all that awesome looking Southern food like bbq and chicken and biscuits that we don't really get in Canada, unless you count Popeye's. Although maybe that's more like what Taco Bell is to Mexican food ... not really authentic, but my tummy doesn't know any better

And a lot of the Chinese food buffets in Toronto have time limits of 90 minutes to 2 hours LOL!

I just noticed this coupon site that I check for local discounts has similar sights around the world - who knew! I just got one for a restaurant chain called East Side Mario's ... it's like Canada's answer to Olive Garden, only not quite as good ( seriously! )

http://onespout.com/deals#city=Dallas <-- Is this where you live JD?
http://onespout.com/deals#city=Edinburgh

Nice that you've all been able to treat yourselves ... to food, nice boots, or even investments in this great hobby that we've all come to love (new computers, higher buy-ins like the Women's Sunday, etc) ... one of these days hopefully I'll get organized/disciplined/good ehough to be able to cash out and get something nice too ... probably first on my list'll still be a coach

Sam

Old
Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:10 PM
(#9)
Interesting thread

Never won enough from poker to do any kind of splurging, so I'll be watching this thread with interest for when I do!

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 05:37 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Hmmm no updates yet.... I think he is putting too much thought into this. Just buy whatever feels right. Just do it!

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 06:35 AM
(#11)
SilverStar
now, i'm hungry click cashier withdraw $20 for Mcdo's eating splurge

then back to grinding later

micromillions one time big time c'mon c'mon

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 07:45 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Ok, UPDATE!

Nothing really spectacular...

I bought a pack of cigarettes (Pall Mall red 100's), and a 1 liter bottle of Lipton lemon Ice tea.

Sure, cigarettes is not a huge deal, but seeing as how I roll my own, buying a pack so I didn't have to roll 'em was a bit of a treat! I don;t think it was a great idea though, as I prefer my roll your own's flavor, but since I hadn't bought a ready made pack for almost 6 months, I thought I'd try again!

The Ice Tea rocked though, driving around town running some errands on a 75 degree Spring day...that was quite refreshing!

Total Spent: $5.12.
Total Remaining: $123.44

I AM still thinking of grabbing a bottle of premium Beer for an upcoming fantasy baseball draft...that sounds like a good suggestion.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2011
Congrats on the cash, but leave my peeps alone....

Old
Sun Mar 18, 2012, 04:31 PM
(#14)
Since: Dec 2010
i ve used half my big win to explore the upper end of my poker comfort zone.the rest is back to good BR management

gl y all

Old
Sun May 06, 2012, 01:16 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
I'm not letting this go JDean...

You spend the rest of that money yet?!?!

Old
Sun May 06, 2012, 02:57 PM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2011
When I finally cash out some funds I think I'd go out to the best butcher and buy some nice nice
1" thick steaks to throw on the bbq. Couple of nice big spuds covered in butter wrapped in foil and a nice bottle of Yellow Tail (austrailian). I would sit in the back yard eating this wonderfull meal and drinking the wine. The to finish sit around a fire and toast everyone who has contributted to this fine evening!!!

Old
Sun May 06, 2012, 04:18 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
That's an A+ idea dopplerboy. I'm a big fan of spending some of those little wins on food and drink too!

Old
Sun May 06, 2012, 10:04 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Well...

I didn't keep up with this, but I did end up spending the rest of the $...

Nothing spectacular, I never bought the beer

I did use the remainder on BI to the League games, and did not cash again.

I also spent a bit playing poker slots with JWK24, and we broke about even on that.

I dropped some $ in the gas tank, and basically submerged the winnings in my available money, and sort of lost track of what was a poker bought item, and what wasn't.

the thing is though, I still think fondly about that bottle of ice tea, and driving around on that spring day...

Sometimes small things are enough!

Double Bracelet Winner