Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

10c Turbo UTG 3.5 Big Blinds / Ship It??

Old
10c Turbo UTG 3.5 Big Blinds / Ship It?? - Sat Mar 24, 2012, 01:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Mentioned in: 17 post(s)

Not withstanding the result, was this the correct play?
The bubble burst on the previous hand, and I almost blinded down getting past it. Getting AA cracked didn't help either.
Losing the hand yields 16c, but doubling up plus winning the blinds almost guaranteed 21c or better.
Should I have waited?

Old
Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Mentioned in: 98 post(s)
Hi Tonk Shuffle!

The bubble burst the hand before, so that's a key, as it's an ITM finish.

Here's the way that I look at these types of situations, I want to get my chips in before I'm thru the blinds (before the blinds is much better as there will be more dead chips in the pot) and try to take any hand that will be a favorite vs ATC. When I put 68s into pokerstove against a random hand, I only have 46% equity.
If only one non-blind calls, then I'm putting 2810 into a pot of 7495 (37.5%). This would make it a definite shove.
The problem with having the bubble the hand prior, as there should be many calls to a short-stack shove and not just 1 player..... which would make me lean toward mucking it more (there will be more overcards out there that can hit the board).

With it being a suited 1-gap, since I'm in the BB the next hand and this is the last hand that I can maximize the dead chips in the pot... I'm going to go with 68s here. The less that call, the better off I am, so I hope only one opp does call me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 24, 2012, 04:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Mentioned in: 4 post(s)
This spot in the .10 ($50 added) I am never letting the blinds go through me here without my chips being in the middle and would really even be loathe to getting to the sb without shipping,so as to maximize what I can win if I double through (or better). 86s is way,way good enough hand to be shipping from UTG in this spot.

If you are stacked enough to get through a couple orbits in this event after the bubble bursts then you can be more selective as they typically burn through that first min-cash level quickly. (Not quite as true for the 4ET one as with somewhere around 5K runners as the norm in that one that first min-cash level is typically 400 players or more.)

Play these hard for deep runs Tonk. Don't punt a min-cash for no good reason if that's all you can get in certain ones,but don't be afraid to risk min-cashes and pass on narrower spots and even flips that can set you up for deeper runs when you do win them. You'll never min-cash these enough to break even,much less turn a profit. I know,been there done that. US peeps get another crack here I've seen where I played these badly and will definitely address that given another chance.