Home / Community / Forum / General Poker / Poker Software & Hardware /

Poker tracker vs Hold'em manager

Old
Poker tracker vs Hold'em manager - Mon Mar 26, 2012, 11:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I'm currently using the free trial of hold'em manager. From reviews i have read it seems to be the general consensus that HEM2 is the better of the two softwares; but only by the slightest marigin and in many cases people say it is 50/50 and a matter of personal opinion. I suppose i could download the trial version of PT3 and see which i prefer but just thought I'd see what everyone thinks?

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator, Hand Analyzer)
BronzeStar
***moved to better fitting forum JWK24***

Team PokerSchoolOnline - John - Super Moderator, Hand Analyzer

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
PT4 Beta is out now. Hem2 used to be slightly better, but I give the edge to Pokertracker now with the new additions

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 12:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2010
ChromeStar
I trialled HM2 for 30 days in January. I'm just coming to the end of a 60 day trial of PT3.

HM2 is by far the "prettier" program and has a lot of useful add ons. But I got sick to death of the bugs and dismissive attitude of the support staff. As it seems that PT4 will improve on what I'm currently using I will have no hesitation in buying the product when my trial ends next week.

Shame about HM2. It's all very well relying on the product to sell itself, but only if it works properly.

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 01:05 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
I hated the upgrade at the start for HEM2 but the bugs now seem to be ironed out of it and I'm quite happy with it.

I couldn't get PT to work on my machine so gave up on it. I've owned HEM for around 6 months and have nowhere near got my full use out of it.

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 01:56 PM
(#6)
Thanks for the comments guys. I think I'll trial PT and see which i prefer Also i was just wondering about the length of time you get when you buy a product; for example with anti-virus software you buy a years license, is this the same for poker tracking software?

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
(#7)
No, it's yours to keep including all updates.

HEM1 users are still supported by the site even though they upgraded to HEM2. I only own the low stakes version but it was $55 well spent even if the software did send me on tilt for a while (I was paying more attention to the numbers without really understanding them)

To me it's main use is in analysing hand histories. I can run a hand over, looking at the odds on each street and am able to look at the hand from my opponents perspective.

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 04:50 PM
(#8)
Thanks ovalman i wasn't sure but that's good to hear as i'm currently using the trial and finding it useful to see were i'm losing the most. Definately going to invest in one of the two just got to decide which one

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Im doing the pt3 trail and wondering what stats you would look at and which stats you don't need.

There are so many, its a bit mind boogling.

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
(#10)
I just use 3

VPiP, PFR and AggF, all other stats can be obtained by hovering your mouse over the numbers.

It's not as important for me as I play STT's, I use HEM more for analysing my own play.

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
with pt3 when you hover your mouse you only get that stat you don't get any others.
mayby its the way I have it set up???

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
(#12)
ChromeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
No, it's yours to keep including all updates.
I'd check that if I were you. I can't remember whether I saw it in HM or PT's terms, but I'm sure one of them said it was a five year licence.

Old
Tue Mar 27, 2012, 12:09 AM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
I kind of wound up with Poker Tracker by default because I had problems getting both PT and HM to work right out of the 'box'. And the PT support staff (the ones you contact by email) were the first to be able to help me to get one of them going. But gosh, even then it was no walk in the park ... something to do with a firewall or whatever, whatever

I wish I had known then about the forum at PT - I went there once instead of contacting support by email, and every time I've asked a question, they've been super nice and super helpful.

And you know what else ... since PT4 is still in beta, they're accepting peoples' wish lists of stuff they want to see in the program. So that's been kind of neat ...

I wish I had been able to get HM going so I could have at least checked it out ... I tried ...

Old
Tue Mar 27, 2012, 01:17 AM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2010
I'm just in the process of installing PT4 - still importing hands, 40K and counting, who knew I played that much lol.

I've been wanting to try this for a while, and just never got around to it. The 6-Max team challenge has made it a priority, probably a good thing. I seem to be stuck at my current level, and I'm hoping that the analysis features will give me some insight into where my game is weak.

It's good to know that the support is there if I run into problems (and I'm sure there will be a couple). Hopefully it won't take me too long to figure out how it works!!

Last edited by joy7108; Tue Mar 27, 2012 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: typo

Old
Tue Mar 27, 2012, 04:46 AM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
I'd check that if I were you. I can't remember whether I saw it in HM or PT's terms, but I'm sure one of them said it was a five year licence.
I didn't know that but then again whoever reads the T/C

5 years is still a pretty good investment, not complaining but I think $11 a year for the low stakes version is a bargain for what you get for it.

Old
Tue Mar 27, 2012, 11:35 AM
(#16)
ChromeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
I didn't know that but then again whoever reads the T/C
Having spent a lifetime in risk management, me

And there was a time when I could also remember what I'd read the following day