Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Skill League /

Quick ??? I am new

Old
Quick ??? I am new - Fri Mar 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hey guys I have just joined up a few days ago and I think this is a great site! I am aware that I will be under restrictions because I am in the USA and we are only allowed to use play money. I was wondering if the Open Skills league is a way of US players being able to earn cash because it is a free-roll and thus I need no money to enter. I think I know what the answer will be but I was just looking for a little confirmation. Thanks in advance to whoever takes the time to break the news to me

Old
Fri Mar 30, 2012, 03:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Sorry to be the one to break the news but it is no

You can however watch all the VPP restricted content

Cheers,

TC

Old
Fri Mar 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hi there Ninerrrr,

Check this out! Welcome to PSO

Unfortunately ToptheCat is right, the Leagues are not open to American residents at the moment.

The only thing I can recommend is that there are many great play money home games where you could get in some quality practice and meet new friends along the way.

PM effsea or JohhnyOak for details on how to join the Drunk Tank and you are also welcome to become a member of the PSO Home Game. Details of how to join that can be found HERE

There are others too, these are just a couple of suggestions.

Have fun here at PSO and any questions just ask.

Raiser

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Paul - Community Coordinator

Old
Fri Mar 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
RR, most likely this has been answered somewhere in PSO's forum, but I have to ask, why are americans not allowed to enter the freeroll that awards cash? Does the US law explicitly said so? Coz I really don't see the logic. There'll be no "transfer" by wire of any monies from the US to anywhere... and wouldn't it be great if, there's going to be any transfer, it'll be one way from the world TO the US??

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
Hi there Ninerrrr,

Check this out! Welcome to PSO

Unfortunately ToptheCat is right, the Leagues are not open to American residents at the moment.

The only thing I can recommend is that there are many great play money home games where you could get in some quality practice and meet new friends along the way.

PM effsea or JohhnyOak for details on how to join the Drunk Tank and you are also welcome to become a member of the PSO Home Game. Details of how to join that can be found HERE

There are others too, these are just a couple of suggestions.

Have fun here at PSO and any questions just ask.

Raiser

Old
Fri Mar 30, 2012, 06:03 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyVictim View Post
RR, most likely this has been answered somewhere in PSO's forum, but I have to ask, why are americans not allowed to enter the freeroll that awards cash? Does the US law explicitly said so? Coz I really don't see the logic. There'll be no "transfer" by wire of any monies from the US to anywhere... and wouldn't it be great if, there's going to be any transfer, it'll be one way from the world TO the US??
Yeah, it's due to the Black Friday indictments against PStars and the other sites. US players cannot compete for any real money as the US Attnys General seem to be claiming that all money transactions(including transferring monies won to a players account) to be possibly fraudulent or money laundering. Which is total BS, but that's just the way it it.

Unless it's just PStars covering their azz or I'm way off base about the whys and whats.

To Ninerrr, great suggestions from Raiser. The play money home games are the place where you can still get some quality play and learning experience from people that still care about how they play, even if it is only for fake chips and what little pride we have left.

Old
Fri Mar 30, 2012, 06:05 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
This has been talked about on the forums a lot already....

The United States Department Of Justice demanded that Pokerstars not allow any US players to participate in real money play, PERIOD. Pokerstars decided it was in there best interest to not fight the DOJ, so they banned all US players from real money play. They also forced withdrawals of all real money funds. US players no longer even have access to the real money version of the software, only the play money version. So, since you cannot have real money on your account in any way, shape, form, or amount - you cannot participate in any leagues or tournaments that offer anything of value, be it cash or tournament tickets.

All that said, I am a US player too and I highly recommend you stick around a while and check out everything the PSO has to offer. Lots of really great poker videos and articles, SNG/MTT/ cash game educational courses, live training sessions, active forum with a hand analysis section. You can even keep a blog and read/comment other players blogs.

Old
Fri Mar 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2012
Thanks guys your answer was not at all surprising but also not really what I wanted to hear. Oh well I can still learn a lot. I actually just watched your $1 45 man game Royal. Those two live trainers were very instructive and I thought overall you played very well Royal. I was looking for answers after I did an 18 man SNG and played very well and dominated the table with tight and aggressive play. I then proceeded to lose all my chips heads up (I had around 25,000 and my opponent had like 5,000) lol. I am new to the game and your heads up play will help me in the future. Thanks again guy and maybe I will see you in the live trainers.