Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

how 2 play aa??????

Old
how 2 play aa?????? - Sun Jan 05, 2003, 12:55 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
hi all
i am new to pso and am really enjoying it here,i was just wondering if any of the experienced/advanced/good players(u know who u are)could help me with a problem.

HOW DO YOU PLAY AA??????

obviously there is no one answer but there must be a written rule or strategy.
i have found that if i raise too much everybody folds and i feel short changed,if i attempt to slowplay i get rivered by a flush or house,also should i ever throw AA away.
for example if i raise and am called and the flop comes 2 6 9 rainbow,and the caller then bets where do i stand.i could be in front still but do i call or raise,should i consider folding?
i know i am making myself sound like a fool(which i am)but any feedback will be appreciated.

cheers
outdrawn
london
uk

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2003, 01:54 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
AA
pot raise preflop
if a pot raise commits 35%+ of your stack raise all in

on a flop of 269 rainbow and someone betting into you all in

if you run into a set unlucky another tourny another day

your more likey against AK,A9 or an over pair.

views of a beginner player

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2003, 03:21 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
The view of a player on the slippery slope to poker madness :lol: ....

It depends a great deal on what people refer to as "depth of money".
If its the early stages of a 10k NLHE event, blinds are 50/100, there is really a problem in how much to bet. You're faced with winning a small pot with a huge bet or betting smaller and risk getting called by (say) 33 or JTs that flops hugely. That's the way it is, and a lot depends on your knowledge of the calling player(s). They say big pp's are destined to win small amounts or lose big, but I'm sure that's only true with relatively deep money, i.e. big stacks/smallish blinds.

If, on the other hand, if the blinds+antes are really big, then a straight all-in may be worthwhile. If they fold, it's a decent pot. If they call, you're a good favourite.

Then, position is a big deal. At an aggressive table, then limping in early position (or making a small raise) with AA/KK may be right if you can expect a raise behind you. But that's dangerous ...

I'm sure you get the drift, i.e. there is no easy answer. FWIW, my advice would be to play jillions of PSO NLHE satellites. The rapidly varying depth of money in a relatively quick tournament makes for superb NLHE practice. Not the same as a big multi, to be sure, but very worthwhile nevertheless. While getting a bunch of practice this way, go off and read all the NLHE posts here you can find by Noodles+Apryll+many others, and as many books as you get your hands on.

Also play plenty of pot-limit HE here and learn about the disadvantages of not being able to bet your whole stack with monster hands..

Get experience That's all there is, but being forewarned and informed is a huge start.

HTH

Glenn

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2003, 05:31 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
I would add the following thoughts on pre-flop AA (and mostly same on KK, but NOT QQ).

In the blinds, or you are yet to act with limper(s) in front of you then RAISE big. Pot-sized is NOT big enough. I Raise about 1.5 to 2 times the pot. If Someone has raised before you AND there are no callers yet then raise pot-sized if you think it get you heads up with the original raiser. If someone raised before you AND there is at least one caller, then raise about 1.5 to 2 times pot size. I personally will rock-n-roll and get it allin BEFORE the flop if played with.

I hate to limp with AA.

That is just me. But I will add that I was first one out in a tourny the other night. Chips start at 10K. blinds are 25-50. I am in big blind with 3-3. 3 limpers and sb calls. I check. 5 of us see flop of A-3-J.
I bet pot (250) and 2 callers. Turn is 8?(I don't remember). I bet 1000, and 1st limper raises me. We get to jammin and go all-in. He shows me AA for top set. I would not play AA that way , but this guy did, won a big hand (doubled up) and I am gone.

On a more general thought. I reccommend getting a notebook, or a journal and record some of your hands Maybe start with AA, KK, and AK. It is so much easier to record the hands, players, actual blinds, bets, postition, etc. when it has just happened, than the next day after you played most of night , slept late, and are tired. Then reread your notes, post if you want too, and review your plays.

Old
Mon Jan 06, 2003, 11:00 AM
(#5)
Deleted user
Silly me. Replying to my own post.

I reread the part of Reuben/Ciaffone's book on Pot-limit and No-Limit Poker about AA.

I quote

"I believe slowplaying AA or KK before the flop is a fully acceptable play if three criteria are met: (a) You are heads-up, (2) you have position on the opponent, (3) the chip position is favorable for slowplaying a big pair. What you want is the raiser to bet the flop, you raise him all-in, and he calls. If the money is shallow, it would be better to move all-in before the flop. If the money is deep, where you cannot move in on him without overbetting the pot, then he is going to often fold when he gets raised, and if he calls a big bet you may well be beaten. We want to get him in a situation where his call after the flop will seem nearly automatic".

This is in reference to side game theory, but I believe this would work in tournament play also.

Old
Mon Jan 06, 2003, 12:51 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
I think most, if not all, of the things in that book will work under tournament play given the same situations away from the big money places. May as well think of it as a tournament book, with the assumption the play is away from the big money.

Old
Mon Jan 06, 2003, 08:34 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles
May as well think of it as a tournament book, with the assumption the play is away from the big money.
Actually, the Ciaffone/Reuben book, "Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker" is written with cash games in mind, thogu it does contain one, eight-page chapter entitled "Tournament Poker."

Old
Tue Jan 07, 2003, 09:48 AM
(#8)
Deleted user
Maybe I didn't write it well enough. The point was meant to be that even though it is a cash game book, most, if not all of it will apply under the same given situations in a tournament so long as we are away from the big money places. So, may as well think of it as a tournament book as well in that case.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com