Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Open Ended Straight Flush Draw

Old
Open Ended Straight Flush Draw - Fri Jan 10, 2003, 03:20 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
How should the following be played? Did I play it right or wrong up to the decision point?

This hand occured in the $200 $5k Added NLHE tourney Friday afternoon.

Blinds $150/300 I have a decent stack at 17k

I pick up Jd 8d on the button

Two limpers, I call, SB and BB call $2k in pot

Flop 9d 10d 2h

SB checks
BB Bets pot $2k (Leaves him/her with $6700)
Limper 1 Fold
Limper 2 fold
I call
SB folds

Heads up - $6k in pot

Turn Kh

SB Bets all in $6700

Whats the play? Was at a new table and did not have a feel for what type of player I was up against.

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2003, 03:41 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
turn play is irrelevant if your going to limp cheese and get a near perfet flop it should have been all in where while although you are behind with open ended straight and flush draw you are favourite to win (unless he is betting nut flush draw)

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2003, 03:43 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
Calling pot sized bets with drawing hands can be very costly, with your stack and a 4k pot I would have pushed in after the flop. Chances are you take the pot there but are otherwise an odds on favorite to improve to a made hand and a Jack may be an out as well.

After the turn you have probably 15 outs, possibly less. Have to fold here.

DK

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2003, 04:26 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
Fold J8s. Then fold it again. If you are going to come into a pot from the button with junk, when the money is deep, raise and give yourself momentum and a chance to win if nobody flops anything.

Had I played, I would have gone all-in on the flop. You are ahead of just about any hand that makes a pot sized bet and there is a good likelyhood that the bb folds and you take it down without a showdown. On the turn, you probably have to fold, unless you are against Crazylegs. Then you have a sure winner.

Peace, Starrs LSOGC E2C

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2003, 04:33 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
Looks like Ironsides beat me - actually I didn't even consider pre-flop action (I was thinking that he was the BB for some reason). Yep, if you are going to put money in the pot with a questionable hand like this you need to ask yourself what you are looking for. You got about the best flop you could have asked for, so if you are not willing to push in on this draw you should definately muck pre-flop and wait for something better.

DK

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2003, 04:56 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
generally, when you flop a very big draw, you want to play the flop in a way that allows you to put in the last raise all-in without overbetting the pot too much.

In this situation, the flop action and depth of money was perfect for you to move-in on the flop.

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2003, 01:59 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
I agree with everyone here. You were a big favorite on the flop and should have moved all-in and given your opponent a chance to fold.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com