Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Update Poll on timeouts

Old
Update Poll on timeouts - Sun Jul 28, 2002, 11:26 AM
(#1)
Deleted user
Hi everyone. From our end we now feel we have the server running normal at our new ISP. I would very much appreciate you all taking just a moment to answer the poll again so that I can confirm if this is true. I only need to know your experience in the past day or two.

Mark

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2002, 11:54 AM
(#2)
Deleted user
Mark,

Firday night durring the 7pm $200 5k added NLHE, I did not timeout a single time.

Saturday morning, I did timeout one time.

This is GREATLY improved over what I had been seeing.

I did see several cases of serious net log or "pausing", but not to where it actualy times out.

Regards,
Bob

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2002, 01:10 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
Yesterday OK. Today, almost unplayable. I've just disconnected for the fifth time in one tourney.

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2002, 01:45 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
That said, the sunday noon freeroll started and all hell broke loose.

It's like at noon, you switched back to the setup you had last saturday!

In 40 minutes, I've timed out several times, been disconnected from the server about 3 times.

And the forum has gotten very flakey also.

Hope this is at my end and not PSO's!

BTW, before the change over on Terible Thursday, PSO was stable as a rock for me.

Bob

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2002, 02:00 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
I'll try again. First time I posted this it didn't connect...

I timed out 4 times in 45 minutes of that tourney. Or rather I was disconnected from the server. Things are horrid at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrothers
That said, the sunday noon freeroll started and all @#%% broke loose.

It's like at noon, you switched back to the setup you had last saturday!

In 40 minutes, I've timed out several times, been disconnected from the server about 3 times.

And the forum has gotten very flakey also.

Hope this is at my end and not PSO's!

BTW, before the change over on Terible Thursday, PSO was stable as a rock for me.

Bob

Old
Same Again - Sun Jul 28, 2002, 02:21 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
Yeah more problems with timing out today, 6 or 7 times during 1 tourney, most other players had same.

LOL even as I type this im out again.

Harry

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2002, 03:20 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
I was commenting Saturday about things running smoother in a single table but today alot of timeouts and disconnected from server 3 times in about 15/20 minutes while playing a single table. One good thing is the software loads alot quicker and I didnt lose much money from my blinds being raised with only 3 of us left.

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2002, 04:03 PM
(#8)
Deleted user
I haven't played a multi since things got unbearable, however I have not long finished playing a satellite.

2 things, firstly I did not time out however I saw at least 2 or 3 others regularly timing out. And secondly and most strange I had on several occasions cards not visible to me, ie the flop only had 2 cards in it and a space where the 3rd card should be. I tried to get a screen shot but everytime it happened ( about 5 before I was knocked out) I missed my opportunity as I was trying things so I could see the cards!!!

oh and lastly at the moment its taking for ever for web pages to download from the school website.

So from my point of view things are still grim!

Marco 12345

( Pokerschool staff - I did happen to do one of those trace routines around this time - let me know if you want it )

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2002, 06:01 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
Mark,

Today, I have had problems with logging on, and then when I do get on and check the games I get a networking Error. I do not Have a problem with my internet connection.

Mike

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2002, 06:00 AM
(#10)
Deleted user
i seem to have a problem fo rthe first hour or so i logg on. Also, the little page to the right in the lounge alwayss says, "error loading page"

adam
aha12877

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2002, 09:23 AM
(#11)
Deleted user
Saturday all seemed well.

Sunday all of the problems were back. In the 1:00 P.M. NLHE tournament, I lost my connection to the server 9 times. Actually, those at my table were keeping a tally and I didn't even win. Some had 11 or 12 disconnects. It seemed to affect about 75% of those playing the tournament. We even joked about suggesting a "disconnect league".

I've made the suggestion before, and I'll make it again. This issue is definitely bandwidth/routing related. It seems that the more people playing, the worse the problems are. So, at the time we were having the problems, there was a fun tournament with 174 people in it, as well as about 12-15 fun satellites. It seems strange to me that the fun side has not been shut down during these problems so that the paying customers get a better quality service - at least until the issue is corrected...

Old
reply - Mon Jul 29, 2002, 09:55 AM
(#12)
Deleted user
Let me say that things before terrible thursday were great. Since then I have had lots of problems especially Sunday 6times timeout in one multi. Not picking at you, just reporting my experience I plan to wait out the problems because I still greatly enjoy the site . Thanks firemandave WHERE THERE IS SMOKE THERE IS FIRE :p

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2002, 10:15 AM
(#13)
Deleted user
Mark,

Friday and Saturday, I had absolutely no problems with disconnects. For that matter, I haven't disconnected in over a month, prior to yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon, however, was a different story.

I disconnected 3 times in the 2PM PLHE multi (would have been more, but I busted very early). I disconnected a whopping fourteen times in the 1PM NLHE multi. I'd agree with minpin that this appears to be heavily routing related, as some people had no disconnects at all, while others of us were noting that we were due for one in the next hand or two.

Also, this disconnect was predictable -- it ALWAYS was preceded by the table clearing for the next hand, the sound of cards being shuffled, and a complete freezeup of the table. The disconnect would follow roughly 30 seconds later.

Jahana

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2002, 05:10 PM
(#14)
Deleted user
Mark,

I have timed out 5 times so far in the 3pm O8 tourney today. I am having the same problem as a previos post. A hand ends, I hear the cards shuffle, and then see no cards. About 30 seconds later I get the lost connection message.

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2002, 05:20 PM
(#15)
Deleted user
I am still at a total loss to understand why the free "fun" side is still up and running. In the past two hours they have had:

1 multi with 119 people
1 multi with 72 people
2 ring games 20 people
6 satellites running 60 people

that's 250 people connected to the PSO servers, sucking the obviously limited bandwidth dry. They are probably experiencing timeouts just like us... but who cares! They aren't paying for the service!

Besides, do you really want potential customers seeing the performance of the server right now? If anything, you'll lose money because these players will figure the service at PSO is no good.

It would be so simple - a message at the login screen saying the fun side is shut down until problems can be fixed. Quit spawning sats and stop the tourneys that are coming up.

The fewer people on the server, the better the performance has been throughout this ordeal. I guess it's too logical!

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2002, 05:49 PM
(#16)
Deleted user
Minpin, On this occasion I have to tell you that you are completely wrong. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the traffic on the site. In fact the worst time we have had with this particular issue was at around 3-4 am one night last week. We are almost certain that this problem is related to the firewall and we have some top technicians working with Gavin right now. If it were "logical" to close the fun play we would have done it by now. Unfortunately you do not have all the information at your disposal so I can understand why you would make this assumption.

Mark

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2002, 05:59 PM
(#17)
Deleted user
Thanks Mark - appreciate the response.

I guess I came to that conclusion because a very few people don't seem to have a problem. Networking wise this says to me that they somehow have a cleaner route to your network.

If this is firewall related, why would someone be able to play for the entire 3 hour tournament and never lose their connection, while many of us would lose it up to a dozen or more times?

Please put my IP into the firewall as one that gets no timeouts

But in all seriousness... this problem is very unusual (and strange that it's been "fixed" only to start happening again). I feel for you, especially since it seems to wait for the most inconvenient time to start acting up (like a Sunday afternoon).

I know you've probably looked into everything by now, but a few months ago a web host was having serious problems with their connection. They realized after about 10 days of pulling their hair out that their firewall didn't have enough licenses on it. It was only letting in 15 connections at a time. Once 15 was hit, it started blocking. Very similar behavior to what you are seeing. It was tough to nail the problem down because it worked, then didn't, then did. It seemed totally random.

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2002, 12:45 AM
(#18)
PSO Staff
(admin)
Since: May 2010
(Administrator)
WhiteStar
After hearing about how great PSO was and how I would be able to learn and sharpen my skills here, I am officially disappointed after my first 2 weeks here. The problems I have encountered are ridiculous, and quite frankly they have made me question whether I should continue subscribing to this service. If you are going to advertise a product, and not provide the service which I have paid for, please let me know...I am honestly tired of the excuses and just want it resolved please. Again, I cannot tell you enough how disappointed I am to have paid for this service thus far.

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2002, 09:02 AM
(#19)
Deleted user
hi mark
again i have to add my two pennyworth with regards to some of the whingers replies about they may stop subscribing cos of the problems you are having in my opinion we only have to switch on the pc couple clicks and presto we are in i assume that your job aint that easy. and we can play a game that millions enjoy for 2 bucks a week and one this week saying you aint supplying the service you promise. i used to subscribe to sky digital if it rained hard or snowed blank screen lol 25 bucks a week.sat on aeroplanes or airport lounges for hours 600 bucks a time,sat in broken down cars for hours waiting for thirty minute response to breakdowns
so come on guys mark and his team are doing us a favour stick it out, check your own machine and networks clean out the crap regular if your having a rough time with time outs switch off make love to the wife and try again when you finished although i dont think
55 seconds will have made much difference lol
needless to say i must be one of the lucky ones based in uk dont seem to have problems at all
so come on lads help mark to help you check your pc check memory size,processor, networks whatever and as in poker have patience
to mark and his team keep up the good work am rooting for you to find the problem if any lol

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2002, 09:15 AM
(#20)
Deleted user
It's very easy nagging people who've had a moan (their right after all) when you've not had any problems yourself. And don't get me started on Murdoch, for God's sake. £40 a month? He can go give his head a bump...

As for PSO server. All seems well now. Fingers (toes, legs, arms, other bits) crossed.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com