Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Watch me go...

Old
Watch me go... - Tue Oct 01, 2002, 07:51 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
My fellow PSOers,

I learned a long time ago if you really want to look silly, inform a large group of people that you are going to do something. To that end:

I intend to work my way back onto the 'first page' (top 50) in percentage rankings during October.

My ranking at 8:00 am Dallas time was 166. (66.99% cummulative).

I slipped 105 places in Sept.

Torched half my bankroll.

This post only has meaning to the 'cummulative rankings group' at PSO.

So there you have it...Watch me go...

Martan

Old
Tue Oct 01, 2002, 11:02 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
Martan, I had a similar month (please see my 287 posts to the bad beat forum). If you play good, you will move back up.

Randy

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2002, 09:03 AM
(#3)
Deleted user
well i wish you good luck

having played several hundred games i can tell you that it takes a while to make any increase in overall % even from a pitfull 56% mine was not so long ago

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2002, 09:04 AM
(#4)
Deleted user
Why are only the top 49 displayed on the "first page?" I actually got to 50th last night, and was very disappointed that only 1-49 are shown on the first page.

Chris

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2002, 10:58 AM
(#5)
Deleted user
And you'd move up even quicker if they'd remove students who are no longer at the school.

In the top 50 alone there are 7 who are not members at this point. daisyjubilee's last recorded tournament was Feb 26th.

Why are they still there? I've asked the question at least 5 times and never gotten a response...

Old
Thu Oct 03, 2002, 02:39 AM
(#6)
Deleted user
chris,

maybe they are still paying to be members and that's why they are still on the list? i'm a monthly member and get charged every month, not that I mind BUT perhaps they just forgot to end their membership? :?

dan

Old
Thu Oct 03, 2002, 07:35 AM
(#7)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams32097
chris,

maybe they are still paying to be members and that's why they are still on the list? i'm a monthly member and get charged every month, not that I mind BUT perhaps they just forgot to end their membership? :?

dan
Doubtful, since their bankroll is $0 when it clearly should not be. I think that only happens when you quit.

And WOOHOO! to me for finally making it back on the front page.

Chris

Old
Thu Oct 03, 2002, 08:29 AM
(#8)
Deleted user
Quote:
And WOOHOO! to me for finally making it back on the front page.
I demand a recount!!!!

j/k

Old
Thu Oct 03, 2002, 12:58 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
i added up the total number of league paticipants in september
and came to the conclusion that there were 482 active members
allowing for holidays,sat only players and the few people who played less than 5 tourneys in a month i'd say its still less than half the people ranked
how many members do we have?
i know i'd like a lot more as its difficult to play in the larger field events if u r uk based and in full time employment
i hope the wpo is going to bring more members in
the school is such a great resource that i'm amazed we don't have 5000 members
hopefully one of us will win a major tourney wearing a pso cap

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 09:03 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
I hope you don't mind me using you as an object lesson in the difficulty of making significant move to one's cumulative average as the number of games increases.

Assuming a 69.8% will get you on the front page of the cumulative rankings, you need to following averages to accomplish it in the indicated amount of games:

Code:
20  -- 90.58%
30  -- 86.11%
40  -- 83.14%
50  -- 81.05%
60  -- 79.52%
70  -- 78.35%
80  -- 77.43%
90  -- 76.69%
100 -- 76.08%
<begin soapbox>
Cumulative average is a totally meaningless statistic for tracking performance. As the number of games grows it becomes increasingly difficult to make and significant change without one hellaciously good or bad streak.
<end soapbox>

Personally, I track a 100 and a 200 game moving average (sats included). It does not suffer from the weight of the ever growing cumulative average, but dampens of most of the short-term variance.

GOOD LUCK in your quest. May your flops fit.

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 10:58 AM
(#11)
Deleted user
Thanks for quantifing what i must do, Joe. No doubt it is easier to slip in rankings than rise, one still must know what is necessary in order to do it. I, once before with many fewer games in my average, rose 100+ positions and intend to do so again. It is possible to assume longer than one month is necessary but my quest is my quest. Front Page!...

I do not care how many inactives there are for the numbers still must be met. Stationery participants are much easier to overcome...

Martan.

I still havent' played my first game in Oct...

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 01:04 PM
(#12)
Deleted user
After my first month here, I was #280 I think. Of course, I had only played about 50 tourneys so it was easier to move up - but it is possible, but like Joe pointed out - it will take some doing. Good luck M.

Hazy

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 08:46 PM
(#13)
Deleted user
When the leagues started I had a 58% Rank in about 200T's
150 T's later I'm up to 63.24%, I have avg about 72% in league play.
...so I think you will have to play alot of T's well this month to climb back up. Good Luck. I wonder if anyone else has increased thier play since they now have somethin to play 4... sounds like a good idea 4 a post

Tony D

Old
Mon Oct 07, 2002, 09:30 AM
(#14)
Deleted user
Martan,

This may provide some inspiration (others may think it boastful, but that's all right)...

Less than two months ago, I was where you were. I had a cumulative of 66.80% after 216 events (150 multis, 66 sats), and it had been holding more or less around there for around four or five months. I had been on the top page briefly, back when 67% was good enough to get oneself there, and I was wondering if I would ever get back myself.

Then, it happened. I think it may have coincided with me starting to play Limit Omaha, or quitting holdem altogether...I don't know, but something CLICKED, and I just started going nuts in the tournaments.

The stats bear this out:

Tournaments 1-216
Multis played: 150
Final tables: 36 (24%)
Money finishes: 15 (10%)
Cumulative: 66.80% (160-ish)

Tournaments 217-285
Multis played: 68
Final tables: 35 (51%)
Money finishes: 18 (26%)
Cumulative: 69.62% (46)

My suggestions to you:

1) Find which games you are best at, and play only those games. Very few people are good at everything. For me, it was realizing I wasn't getting anywhere at NLHE and quitting it altogether.
2) When you're playing, put all your energy into making that final table. If you're not in a good frame of mind, don't play.

IT CAN BE DONE.

Chris

Old
Tue Oct 08, 2002, 03:11 PM
(#15)
Deleted user
Quote:
Then, it happened. I think it may have coincided with me starting to play Limit Omaha, or quitting holdem altogether...I don't know, but something CLICKED, and I just started going nuts in the tournaments.
Maybe the 'it' that happened was just a change in luck.

Old
Tue Oct 08, 2002, 03:23 PM
(#16)
Deleted user
No, trust me, it was him quitting NLHE.

Old
Thu Oct 10, 2002, 01:09 PM
(#17)
Deleted user
Chris,

I did notice, when looking at your numbers a few months ago, that limit omaha was a good game for you. I thought that interesting because I, according to Minpins fine stat program, I am good at this game also. I don't know what that means, though...lol.

Congrats on your rise. I don't know what I mean by that, either...

I'm coming to the front page, ready or not.

Martan

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com