Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Is the secret Hidden?

Old
Is the secret Hidden? - Fri Oct 04, 2002, 01:37 AM
(#1)
Deleted user
Okay...I'm quite new at playing this game for big marbles, but after reading most of the material on the site...I was doing quite well.

Now...I'm getting the **** kicked out of me regularly.

This is what is happening:

*I have tried playing only hands in which I have the recommended starting cards according to position. Many more times than not...the flop renders them useless, and since I am trying to hang in only if I believe I may have the best hand...or several shots at it...I frequently get shot down in stack a call at a time.

*Point 2: I've seen So Many people raise in big with MUCH less than superior hands...and basically buy everyone out. They always get KO'd at some point...when somebody with the stack can catch a hand and kill em....but in the meantime, I've gotten killed by calling in with a superior preflop hand....then getting bet out, or even beaten by a garbage flop.

I've tried some variance in openers, and betting strategy...but what I'd like to hear, is how some of the vets handle some of these situations.

I am well aware that even great players (which I am not...YET) can go through intense slumps...and that's ok, but I am getting the feeling that I should do ....."something" different.

Any advice or responses will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 01:52 AM
(#2)
Deleted user
Razor,

I think the key is that you have to be able to adapt your play according to who is at your table. Learn who is tight, who is loose, who is weak, and who is scary (these are the players who are not only good, but are unpredictable - I try avoid entering pots with these types).

You adjust your hand selection and your bets based upon this. You don't always have to play AA, KK, AK and big PP's. But at the same time, you must be aware of who is raising or limping in front of you, and if you are raising first, who is yet to act after you.

There is a series of discussions on the Advanced Poker Forum - one that deals mainly with table dynamics. If you can integrate an understanding of table dynamics with solid play - you can and should do well.

I'd be happy to help with more detailed questions. Feel free to e-mail me at ajhendrix@hotmail.com (and I am sure there are more out there that can offer as good, if not better, advice then mine).

Hazy (Aaron)

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 01:58 AM
(#3)
Deleted user
Here's the link for the discussion I mentioned:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/pok...pic.php?t=1413

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 01:59 AM
(#4)
Deleted user
Thank you Hazy,

I'll head over to that forum now...and I believe you have hit it on the head. The Table dynamics is what is killing me. I may use that email addy, and thank you for the offer.

I'm going to take a look now...)

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 10:24 AM
(#5)
Deleted user
razzor when your in a slump take a time out
refresh the batteries and come back a day or 2 later
refreshed with an eagerness for the game

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 11:10 AM
(#6)
Deleted user
Although further studies of strategy, etc. can't hurt much the usual problem one has when trying to analyz(s)e what's happening with one's game is that you have played so little that the fluctuations seem like God's plan to drive you mad.

http://www.annabelles-treasures.com/...uctuations.htm has some text and a marvelous graph that make this a bit clearer.

Stuff happens and you either get used to it or find a hobby where skill matters more than luck - poker is not such a field.

Old
Wow! - Fri Oct 04, 2002, 11:55 AM
(#7)
Deleted user
Thanks guys!

Geezer, that is a fascinating study! Makes a few weeks of crappiness seem rather petty!!

))

Ok then.....we shan't worry...but just continue...and Iron...breaks are important too I think...to leave a rut..and be fresh.

I'll try that...TOMORROW>>>>>>>>>

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 01:10 PM
(#8)
Deleted user
as i been on a rut for over a week now i keep saying i'll take a break tomorrow and you know what it doesnt seem to come.

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2002, 06:28 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
Hahaha...I'd hoped you'd pick up that silly "promise"

I've been holding my own...and thanks SO much for the input.
I've been working :

table dynamics

and...some other things i've been advised...and I just have to say that it is so nice to be able to play with some folks that can help ya!

Go PSO!

wonderful!

Iron...you rule!

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2002, 08:56 AM
(#10)
Deleted user
Quote:
I have tried playing only hands in which I have the recommended starting cards according to position.
Assuming you are talking big-bet rather than limit, where did you get these recommendations from? On this site? All starting hand recommendations on this site are concerned with limit poker. In fact, I am not aware of any detailed big-bet starting hand recommendations anywhere, online or in books. Big-bet starting hand values differ to limit when the money is deep. Do your starting requirements reflect this?

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2002, 01:35 PM
(#11)
Deleted user
noodles may i point out the beginners course to you
it is where i got the basics of my game from and relates to BIGBET poker
otherwise how can it tell us to raise 3xbb utg with AA
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/pok...sons/index.htm

this must be the most over looked course in the whole school as it doesnt have a "big name" to it and too many "advanced players" think they are above beginners lessons.

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2002, 03:52 PM
(#12)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironside
noodles may i point out the beginners course to you
it is where i got the basics of my game from and relates to BIGBET poker
otherwise how can it tell us to raise 3xbb utg with AA
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/pok...sons/index.htm
I did look at it when I first joined, but had forgot about it. I just looked at it again briefly and it looks like it's related to shallow money play rather than deep money. In fact, does it even differ from limit advice?

Even in the short time I spent having a look, I spotted some things that are incorrect for deep money play:

Re-raise with QQ.

Don't play 66 except in late position with 'X' many callers.

As for the advice from early position with QQ:

Quote:
When you decide to raise with QQ, it really should be a smaller amount than with the AA, KK or AK suited because you are trying to get a feel for where you are.
Ick.

Maybe it's OK for beginners as the biggest fault is playing too many hands. Although, it isn't really that accurate with regards deep money play. It may or may not be accurate when on shallow money.

Old
Noodles said... - Sat Oct 19, 2002, 08:22 PM
(#13)
Deleted user
Noodles said:
Quote:
Ick.
After all of the 100's of incredibly detailed, thoughtful, and intelligent posts you've done regarding play and hand analysis, you've still got it!

"Ick" really does describe that advice regarding how to re-raise with QQ in NLHE ("When you decide to raise with QQ, it really should be a smaller amount than with the AA, KK or AK suited because you are trying to get a feel for where you are.)

Old
Wed Dec 04, 2002, 12:39 PM
(#14)
Deleted user
The lessons are good, but they are all ABC. They fail to go into the detail that is necessary to teach one to be a winner.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2002, 12:43 PM
(#15)
Deleted user
Noodles:

If there is truly a dearth of material for big bet poker, perhaps we shoudl collaborate and fill the void.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2002, 01:21 PM
(#16)
Deleted user
lol. I think my last email to you, concerning that example for drawing hands, showed that I am not currently up to it. I'd be happy to learn from you though.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com