Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

What a night

Old
What a night - Sun Nov 03, 2002, 12:54 AM
(#1)
Deleted user
Late in the Round 2 tourn for the Big one on 11/2 I go all in after with AK. I put in around $20,000. Another player calls with AQ and pull a Q on the river, knocking me out. I can't belive that this would call a huge bet with AQ when he could be crippled if he loses.

Then in the $200/5K I go all in with AK with around 20K again and get called by A3. A 3 falls on the flop and I'm out again.

What a night!!! : Hope tommorow is better.

Old
Sun Nov 03, 2002, 07:32 AM
(#2)
Deleted user
The problem with AK is the problem with most hands - it's a drawing hand. True, it's a strong one, but I'm not sure all in with AK (or 20K) is a wise choice - unless the blinds and antes, and your relative stack size make that size bet a must. But for the record, I don't consider any hand against AK preflop as a bad beat. Now say you had AK, raise it pot preflop, flop an ace or a king, or both even, and go all in and someone with an underpair calls you and spikes their set on the river - now that might be a bad beat.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, people overvalue AK and give it the same strength as QQ, JJ and the like. I'm sort of in the school of ranking it about even with JJ, maybe a little below.

Best of luck next time.

Hazy

Old
oh, sure, listen to Hazy..... - Sun Nov 03, 2002, 09:56 AM
(#3)
Deleted user
......and Hazy, didn't you tell your brother last night in the WPO Rd #2 to call my PotSized reraise when he had KQo, cause "if a K or a Q hits, you'd win!"......HEH

{the tourniquet applied to the wound couldn't stop the bleeding, and we put bruno to rest shortly thereafter}

Old
Sun Nov 03, 2002, 10:32 AM
(#4)
Deleted user
well yea, but I didn't tell him to raise you all in, I told him to just flat call and see the flop.

Sorry about that by the way - I was sitting two feet from him (losing my ass at another table) and he asked what to do. I was only more than happy to oblige.

Old
Sun Nov 03, 2002, 10:53 AM
(#5)
Deleted user
One player to a hand

Old
Re: What a night - Sun Nov 03, 2002, 11:35 AM
(#6)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinPowers
Late in the Round 2 tourn for the Big one on 11/2 I go all in after with AK. I put in around $20,000. Another player calls with AQ and pull a Q on the river, knocking me out. I can't belive that this would call a huge bet with AQ when he could be crippled if he loses.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Yeah, it was a loose call of your reraise of my raise. But, in my defense, you had made a number of these big reraise moves in late position and I had the impression you were being a bit loose with those moves, and I was hoping to catch you restealing.

Not much consolation for you, but AK did take me out in 15th, when I took my QQ up against it and lost to an A on the turn. So at least someone gets lucky with AK...

Old
Sun Nov 03, 2002, 02:42 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
Wiscer,

The only difficulty I have with your play is that your AQ is at a distinct disadvantage if I have a hand, which I did. You could have crippled yourself in an important tournament on a feeling(that I might be stealing). I just think you should have waited for something better. We all know that AQ causes more people to lose than any other hand. I was dissappointed but there's always another time for a little REVENGE!! LOL

To everyone else,

Thanks for the AK advice. I hadn't really thought of it that way. See I am learning something.

Old
Sun Nov 03, 2002, 03:32 PM
(#8)
Deleted user
my feeling on AK and AQ is they are both powerfull hands at the right time

reraising with AK when the money is shallow is only recomended when you are 90% sure that the play making the raise has not a PP
because your are a slight dog to 11 hands and a big dog to KK and a huge dog to AA.

calling with AQ after raising depends on the size of the pot and the call. if placing the reraiser on a PP jacks or lower and the pot is offering 2-1 then your right to make the call.
now the postion in the tourny would also have alot to do with it
with top 30 getting seats to the Big12 if you didnt have a A or B seat then playing to survive would have meant folding both the AK to the raise and the AQ to the reraise no matter of the odds because i think austin went out 33rd.
if how ever you both had A seats or better then playing the odds was the correct play.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2002, 10:24 AM
(#9)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinPowers
The only difficulty I have with your play is that your AQ is at a distinct disadvantage if I have a hand, which I did. You could have crippled yourself in an important tournament on a feeling(that I might be stealing). I just think you should have waited for something better.
No doubt you're right about the AQ, assuming you have AK, AA, KK. I didn't really put you on those hands, my feeling was maybe a middle pair. I was willing to take a 50/50 shot at that point which I would not in a normal situation. But the situation I was in was that I already have my B qualifier, which means I have to finish 1 or 2 to get any better qualifier, and so it seemed like catching you on a steal or taking a 50/50 shot and acquiring a big stack to help me get to that point was possible, and if I went out at that point, well, frankly...not that big a deal...

If it is any further consolation, my own little AK vs AQ story...

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/pok...580&highlight=

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2002, 05:38 PM
(#10)
Deleted user
When a player makes an all-in bet like that, I assume (and maybe incorrectly) that the majority of times they are holding a decent pp. Unless the pp is aces obviously, a call by a naked ace can be their undoing - and I have seen it many times. But a 50/50 proposition ain't great odds on that kinda stack. However, if you think someone is taking stack liberties, you might feel you are getting better odds. I will call an all-in bet with AK, Q, short stacked in tourney - as a decent way to double up with decent odds and a lot of protection. And I confess that I have called an all-in bet with AK from a pesky player (and one that has been a frequent all-inner) that I have grossly outchipped - just to be rid of them .

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com