Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Medium Pair in Early Stage of Quarter Million MTT

Old
Medium Pair in Early Stage of Quarter Million MTT - Sun Jan 30, 2011, 04:27 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Hey folks,

I have a hand here from today's Quarter Million. I'd like to know if I made a mistake, or if my play could be considered a good value play. I'm asking because I was admittedly a bit steamed by the villain, who was coming across as weak to me, but who had pushed me off a hand earlier by jamming the pot.

So, one of the first blind levels, about 50 hands in, and the villain and I had been playing together for about the entire tourney so far. He was one of the few players at the table who I hadn't gotten any notes on (and I was taking a lot of them). He seemed somewhat tight and wasn't getting involved in many hands (maybe 20%). Of those hands, he was very passive and usually limped, sometimes from early/middle position. He raised infrequently (maybe 5 times in total for as long as he was at the table). The one hand I saw him show down after he had raised was AQo, so he seemed to be raising with appropriate hands (but I can't be sure). I had not been getting many playable hands, and this was only my 2nd or 3rd hand VPIP'd (again, out of about 50).

I was trying to regain some chips in a spot where I figured I was very likely to be ahead, but I'd like to know what you think.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 11 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Villain (UTG+1) (t3985)
MP1 (t1364)
MP2 (t2696)
MP3 (t10000)
CO (t5350)
Button (t2150)
SB (t4465)
Panicky (BB) (t2140)
UTG (t2150)

Panicky's M: 28.53

Preflop: Panicky is BB with 9, 9
1 fold, Villain calls t50, 5 folds, SB calls t25, Panicky bets t250, Villain calls t200, 1 fold

Flop: (t550) 2, 3, 7 (2 players)
Panicky bets t300, Villain calls t300

Turn: (t1150) Q (2 players)
Panicky bets t1590 (All-In)

Thanks!

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Sun Jan 30, 2011 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: splling

Old
Mon Jan 31, 2011, 03:26 AM
(#2)
Bumping this to see if anyone has something to comment.

Old
Mon Jan 31, 2011, 04:06 AM
(#3)
Deleted user

Last edited by Deleted user; Sun Feb 13, 2011 at 09:20 PM..

Old
Mon Jan 31, 2011, 04:20 AM
(#4)
The only move I had made at this table was a C-Bet. I did it once, he moved all-in, I folded. Like I said, I had basically sat out about 90% of hands dealt. If you call this a C-Bet, then that makes two. Slowplaying a monster makes sense, but I figured he had a much broader range, since passive players could easily overplay their hands and call reasonable-sized bets with nothing (and certainly with a straight or flush draw). Also, he limped in. I hadn't seen him do that with a monster yet, but he did limp a lot.

He was holding an offsuit QJ, and was drawing to a flush as well. He hit his queen, so of course he called. My read was almost correct. I guess I couldn't be sure of that, so perhaps my shove was a donk-esque bet.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com