Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Should I make this call?

Old
Question
Should I call all-in for 40% of my stack vs a weak player? - PSO Skill League - Tue Feb 01, 2011, 04:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
hey Folks

Played a hand earlier and I thought, given the situation, it was the right call. I understood that I would probably only be a marginal favourite but my opponet had been playing literally any 2 and I had him covered, 40% of my stack.

I ran the hand through pokerstove and it gave me odds to win of 58.x / 41.x

I put my opponent on a fairly wide range, not any 2 the first run through

Out of curiosity the second time I removed hands I know he didn't have, premium hand and any pair. I wanted to know, if my read was accurate, what the odds would be it came out at 61.x / 38. x

I don't know if pokerstove should be used this way? Can we factor in what we know about a player? I guess for the maths to be reliable I shouldn't?

lastly i ran with any 2 and again I was 60/40 favourite.

I made the call because of what I knew about the player and that I was likely to be ahead, was it the right thing to do though given I was only a marginal favourite?

TIA
Steve

here is the hand

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t1729)
UTG (t6645)
UTG+1 (t1629)
MP1 (t2865)
MP2 (t1805)
VareckRay (MP3) (t1470)
CO (t1425)
Button (t1305)
SB (t587)

Preflop: VareckRay is MP3 with A, 7
4 folds, VareckRay bets t90, 2 folds, SB raises to t587 (All-In), 1 fold, VareckRay calls t497

Total pot: t1204

Last edited by VareckRay; Tue Feb 01, 2011 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: never post results :)

Old
Tue Feb 01, 2011, 06:10 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VareckRay View Post
hey Folks

I ran the hand through pokerstove and it gave me odds to win of 58.x / 41.x

I put my opponent on a fairly wide range, not any 2 the first run through

Out of curiosity the second time I removed hands I know he didn't have, premium hand and any pair. I wanted to know, if my read was accurate, what the odds would be it came out at 61.x / 38. x

I don't know if pokerstove should be used this way? Can we factor in what we know about a player? I guess for the maths to be reliable I shouldn't?

lastly i ran with any 2 and again I was 60/40 favourite.

I made the call because of what I knew about the player and that I was likely to be ahead, was it the right thing to do though given I was only a marginal favourite?

Whether to call a significant portion of your stack as slim favorite at an early stage of a tournament is debateable. 60/40 is probably good in the long run.

I think you've got it backwards on adjusting ranges in Pokerstove for what you know (or think you know) the other player does not have in his range. You should always adjust ranges based on your reads if you want reliable results. Doing multiple stoves for different reads is fine as well.

Good job both on making the call as a decent favorite and your subsequent analysis with Pokerstove.

Old
Tue Feb 01, 2011, 06:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeviathan View Post
Whether to call a significant portion of your stack as slim favorite at an early stage of a tournament is debateable. 60/40 is probably good in the long run.
Hi Leviathan, yep that was my concern, that I'm throwing away chips needlessly but in this particular instance I reckon it would have been ultra tight to fold.

I've only recently started using pokerstove, I thought that when ranging an player I shouldn't discount hands I'm almost certain doesn't have, as they are still possibilities. I should in fact discount hands better than the range I put him on?

Thanks and nice to meet you

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com