Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Slowplaying By Just Flatting an All-In Shove

Old
Slowplaying By Just Flatting an All-In Shove - Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Here's a hand that I found quite jarring in today's last league tourney. My line of thought is basically the title. This was my first hand after being moved to this table. My stack was in the top 15% of stacks by size in the remaining field, but my M was very low. I was trying to play for value, and was really hoping to get rejammed pre-flop. On the flop, I got what I wanted. Was this a profitable line to take?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 1000/2000 Blinds 200 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Panicky (MP3) (t28570)
CO (t33542)
Button (t10746)
SB (t13258)
BB (t54399)
UTG (t4427)
UTG+1 (t10366)
MP1 (t2368)
MP2 (t21683)

Panicky's M: 5.95

Preflop: Panicky is MP3 with A, A
UTG bets t4227 (All-In), 3 folds, Panicky calls t4227, 3 folds, BB calls t2227

Flop: (t15481) K, 5, 3 (3 players, 1 all-in)
BB checks, Panicky bets t8000, BB raises to t49972 (All-In), Panicky calls t16143 (All-In)

Turn: (t63767) J (3 players, 3 all-in)

River: (t63767) 10 (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: t63767

Results:
BB had K, K (three of a kind, Kings).
UTG had J, J (three of a kind, Jacks).
Panicky had A, A (one pair, Aces).
Outcome: BB won t63767

I put the big stack on a flush draw or top pair at best, but a bluff very often in this spot. That was my best guess, anyway.

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 05:39 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Push pre, nuff said.

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:04 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd have pushed preflop too, BUT in that situation, the BB would have called and you'd have ended up with the same result.

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
This is almost a standard pushing situation, but there are differences. Typically, when you're short (like me) and you have a good hand, you push. Raising here would be intended to isolate, so that nobody enters behind with a hand that could beat mine. Therefore, raising here would technically be a bluff, but I don't need to do that with the nuts. The only other function raising here would serve would be to keep drawing hands away, but I doubt that anybody at this table would have called behind a shover and a caller of that shover with hands like 22, 76s, or KTs. Almost everyone was shorter than me, and likely would have saved their chips for a less heated situation. What my call was supposed to do was to get somebody with a strong hand to read weakness in my call and try and push me off the hand. But when the big stack just flatted, I figured he had a good hand and was either hoping for a favourable flop, or was trying some sort of stop and go bluff. The check-raise was the only confusing element, but I still snap-called, because I thought my aces would be good way too often.

I'd like to know if my initial flat was a good decision. I know I would have lost here unless I decided to muck the aces, but I think it's possible that my play would have been better than shoving. I don't know, though.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com