Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Withdraws

Old
Withdraws - Thu Feb 03, 2011, 01:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Do I need to claim my withdraws on my taxes. Does anybody know. Last thing I need is trouble from the IRS.

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 01:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
if its over $1000 i think you do. not sure about smaller amounts. not positive tho

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 02:15 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
From what I've understood about it, if you can claim professional poker status (it's your main job) then it's total wins - total losses for the year.

If you are an amateur it get's really stupid. For tournamets and SnGs it's winning amount - buy in for each individual tournament that must be claimed. If you're not in the money then you cannot deduct that buy-in as a loss.

For Ring games it's what you leave with - total amount brought to the table for every single session. If you lose money it's non-deductible.

Given the ridiculous way the IRS figures the taxes for amateurs you could lose money over the course of the year and still owe the IRS taxes on it.

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 06:27 AM
(#4)
Deleted user

Last edited by deleted_username; Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com