Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Poker Scoring System

Old
Poker Scoring System - Thu Feb 03, 2011, 05:36 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
I've always been interested in what people think about the poker school scoring system, every rank you get further up gets your more points.

I have seen so many players just letting their time bank run down to try and hold on for a longer time. I've noticed this month (February) the time bank has gone down to 30 seconds. I think it used to be 60.

It resembles a tournament, but strongly awards those sitting out or folding every hand.

I admit, I have been playing poker for only about a month but I have already improved by playing poker school and sit n go's, I tend to play the bounty games of no limit holdem. In the bounty games it is played a lot more aggressive when you have an award for knocking players out, technically increases pot odds if anyone uses them.

I just made this topic to see what everyone would think if poker school to award a score, (on top of the score for your position) for the amount of players you knock out during the tournament.

Last edited by Ta5te It; Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 05:38 PM..

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 05:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Read the previous 2,389,743,294,873,204 posts on this subject, and you'll get a good idea for how people feel about it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 07:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
You sure you added that up right? I thought there were more than that

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 09:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Excuse the two previous posters. The scoring system comes up a lot as a topic, which explains the sarcasm. There actually is a whole lot of conjecture on the subject if you use the search function and look through previous posts. A lot of interesting facts and opinions.

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 10:32 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta5te It View Post
I've always been interested in what people think about the poker school scoring system, every rank you get further up gets your more points.

I have seen so many players just letting their time bank run down to try and hold on for a longer time. I've noticed this month (February) the time bank has gone down to 30 seconds. I think it used to be 60.

It resembles a tournament, but strongly awards those sitting out or folding every hand.

I admit, I have been playing poker for only about a month but I have already improved by playing poker school and sit n go's, I tend to play the bounty games of no limit holdem. In the bounty games it is played a lot more aggressive when you have an award for knocking players out, technically increases pot odds if anyone uses them.

I just made this topic to see what everyone would think if poker school to award a score, (on top of the score for your position) for the amount of players you knock out during the tournament.

If you want my take on the general idea of what PSO would look like if there were a knockout feature added to the league games my suggestion is this.................

Go to the Tourney tab in the main lobby. Click on Satellite. Scroll all the way to the bottom and find the Astronomer Freerolls which are highlighted in brown. Find the next Hubbles NLHE freeroll. Enter it when registration begins,and play in it.

When you are done imagine the idiotic play you will see in that Donkfest muliplied by 1000. That's what a PSO with a Knockout option would resemble.

Old
Thu Feb 03, 2011, 10:54 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
If you want my take on the general idea of what PSO would look like if there were a knockout feature added to the league games my suggestion is this.................

Go to the Tourney tab in the main lobby. Click on Satellite. Scroll all the way to the bottom and find the Astronomer Freerolls which are highlighted in brown. Find the next Hubbles NLHE freeroll. Enter it when registration begins,and play in it.

When you are done imagine the idiotic play you will see in that Donkfest muliplied by 1000. That's what a PSO with a Knockout option would resemble.
it would be funny to watch a couple of those

Old
Fri Feb 04, 2011, 03:22 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post

I played them at first but the only freeroll I play now if the poker school. I don't believe the pokerschool would end up like this because if a clever system is put in where knock-outs add a small amount of points compared to points it would be worth playing and not folding every hand.

I appreciate some of the regulars must see these topics a lot, but that just means I'm not the only one to think this, perhaps a separate league as a trial to this, there must be something because the current system is just frustratingly slow.

Old
Fri Feb 04, 2011, 05:47 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
I appreciate some of the regulars must see these topics a lot, but that just means I'm not the only one to think this, perhaps a separate league as a trial to this, there must be something because the current system is just frustratingly slow.
If you think these are slow, do NOT ever enter a live no-limit hold'em tourney. A live tournament with even 1200 in it takes TWO DAYS (12 hrs play per day). If it had 2000 in it, it would take at least THREE DAYS.

Old
Fri Feb 04, 2011, 06:06 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
What people tend to forget is that you are playing a league...not a "single" game. Those that play to win the 1 cent to $2.50 a game are going to be frustrated by the time factor. You are going to play people that are in it for ranking. Ranking comes from survival. While i am using my time clock people from other tables are dropping left and right. I figure 140 to 170 players drop for every ten minutes of play time in the first hour of play.

If you are broke and playing this to win a few cents then you are going to have to put up with the time issues. You might want to try it...it works. I started out with no bankroll, won a couple of bucks from this league and now I am able to play in real cash tourneys to increase my bankroll.

PS - you really can learn a few things from this league if you follow the instructions from the classes and other players.

Old
Sat Feb 05, 2011, 10:42 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
If you think these are slow, do NOT ever enter a live no-limit hold'em tourney. A live tournament with even 1200 in it takes TWO DAYS (12 hrs play per day). If it had 2000 in it, it would take at least THREE DAYS.
That's a live tournament and that's understandable, people don't turn up and put up a sign on themselves saying "sitting out"

I think everyone would prefer the game to go faster, awarding bonus points (bonus in the way that the other scoring system wouldn't be affected but these "bonus" points would be an add on) makes all ins more profitable to call and so we would see a lot more action.

Old
Sat Feb 05, 2011, 10:48 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ball jim View Post
What people tend to forget is that you are playing a league...not a "single" game. Those that play to win the 1 cent to $2.50 a game are going to be frustrated by the time factor. You are going to play people that are in it for ranking. Ranking comes from survival. While i am using my time clock people from other tables are dropping left and right. I figure 140 to 170 players drop for every ten minutes of play time in the first hour of play.

If you are broke and playing this to win a few cents then you are going to have to put up with the time issues. You might want to try it...it works. I started out with no bankroll, won a couple of bucks from this league and now I am able to play in real cash tourneys to increase my bankroll.

PS - you really can learn a few things from this league if you follow the instructions from the classes and other players.
I put £15 on my poker account, which is about $24, I am currently up to $40, I don't play this to try and make money I play to learn how to play texas holdem. I have played other online tournaments where there has been a buy in and they go a lot faster, I understand every rank means more points, but if a new system was in place to award those knocking players out the game would go faster and be a lot more enjoyable.

Old
Sat Feb 05, 2011, 12:48 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
That's a live tournament and that's understandable, people don't turn up and put up a sign on themselves saying "sitting out"
They just get up from their seat and leave for awhile..... same thing!

Old
Sat Feb 05, 2011, 02:26 PM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
That's a live tournament and that's understandable, people don't turn up and put up a sign on themselves saying "sitting out"I think everyone would prefer the game to go faster, awarding bonus points (bonus in the way that the other scoring system wouldn't be affected but these "bonus" points would be an add on) makes all ins more profitable to call and so we would see a lot more action.
I am going to try this on my next live tourney.

Old
Sat Feb 05, 2011, 03:22 PM
(#14)
Quote:
They just get up from their seat and leave for awhile..... same thing!
That's for something like going to the toilet or something, they don't do it for hours. Perhaps a shootout style league would work a lot better.

Old
Sat Feb 05, 2011, 05:39 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
If you add a points bounty to this tourney that would make this league a disastrous joke of a league. The all ins you see now image it in most hands you play. That is more of a bingo style or lotto style and not what a league should be about. I like those bounty tourneys and I have this advice for you on those: If you are playing those bounty tourneys just so you can get the bounty then you are actually wasting your money for the most part. Calling someones all in with a marginal hand just so you can get there bounty more than likely is going to give someone else your bounty. Good luck on the tables.

Old
Sat Feb 05, 2011, 05:59 PM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
That's for something like going to the toilet or something, they don't do it for hours. Perhaps a shootout style league would work a lot better.
You've obviously never been in a larger tourney. I've seen some sitout entire 2 hr sessions or more.

Old
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 03:24 PM
(#17)
Quote:
You've obviously never been in a larger tourney. I've seen some sitout entire 2 hr sessions or more.
yes but do they ever sit out the first 2 hours? no, the blinds would eat half their stack up. But this isn't a live tourney this is online, play should be far quicker.

Old
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 03:26 PM
(#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWLINGNINJA View Post
If you add a points bounty to this tourney that would make this league a disastrous joke of a league. The all ins you see now image it in most hands you play. That is more of a bingo style or lotto style and not what a league should be about. I like those bounty tourneys and I have this advice for you on those: If you are playing those bounty tourneys just so you can get the bounty then you are actually wasting your money for the most part. Calling someones all in with a marginal hand just so you can get there bounty more than likely is going to give someone else your bounty. Good luck on the tables.
Lets say it's a 0.5 point bounty system, nobody is going to risk their tournament for 0.5 points unless they think they will win. Too many are folding good hands because it is too early on. Whereas I call all ins if I think I've won, sometimes I lose, the last 3 PSO's I went out of I've had 2 pair of the flop, pocket Aces pre-flop and AK pre-flop. Too many players fold them hands because they don't want to go out early, it's not good play to do that but they get rewarded for it even though they don't finish in the money.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com