Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Aggressive Line w/ Top Pair and Flush Draw

Old
Aggressive Line w/ Top Pair and Flush Draw - Sat Feb 05, 2011, 08:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Basic sit & go scenario. A few hands in. I checked in the big blind, then saw that I had flopped top pair and a decent flush draw. I wasn't totally happy with my hand, since there was a buttload of people in the pot, but I decided to just play really aggressively and smash the pot on every street. If I'd have been raised, I might have reconsidered, but I was just flatted each time, which suggested to me that the one guy might be drawing.

Here it is:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (t1320)
UTG+1 (t1300)
MP1 (t1740)
MP2 (t1610)
MP3 (t1550)
CO (t1340)
Button (t1280)
SB (t1730)
Panicky (BB) (t1630)

Panicky's M: 54.33

Preflop: Panicky is BB with Q, 8
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t20, MP1 calls t20, 2 folds, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB calls t10, Panicky checks

Flop: (t120) Q, 6, 2 (6 players)
SB checks, Panicky bets t200, 1 fold, MP1 calls t200, 3 folds

Turn: (t520) 7 (2 players)
Panicky bets t400, MP1 calls t400

River: (t1320) 9 (2 players)
Panicky bets t1010 (All-In)

Any thoughts?

Old
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:53 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Basic sit & go scenario. A few hands in. I checked in the big blind, then saw that I had flopped top pair and a decent flush draw. I wasn't totally happy with my hand, since there was a buttload of people in the pot, but I decided to just play really aggressively and smash the pot on every street. If I'd have been raised, I might have reconsidered, but I was just flatted each time, which suggested to me that the one guy might be drawing.

Here it is:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (t1320)
UTG+1 (t1300)
MP1 (t1740)
MP2 (t1610)
MP3 (t1550)
CO (t1340)
Button (t1280)
SB (t1730)
Panicky (BB) (t1630)

Panicky's M: 54.33

Preflop: Panicky is BB with Q, 8
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t20, MP1 calls t20, 2 folds, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB calls t10, Panicky checks

Flop: (t120) Q, 6, 2 (6 players)
SB checks, Panicky bets t200, 1 fold, MP1 calls t200, 3 folds

Turn: (t520) 7 (2 players)
Panicky bets t400, MP1 calls t400

River: (t1320) 9 (2 players)
Panicky bets t1010 (All-In)

Any thoughts?
Single Table SNGs are not like MTT because you can, potentially, reach the money without ever palying a single hand.

This fact alone should lead one to play a bit tighter, and with more of an eye toward your tourney "Q" (see Harrington of Hold 'em for an explaination, or google it).

Personally, I tend to view Single table SNG as sort of a competition that devolves into a test of who can be the LAST person to reach an "all in or fold" threshold, and there tend to be plenty of folks more than willing to fritter away their chips and get there before me (and other tighter early stage players).

Because of all of these facts, I really do NOT like to play weak hands like Q8s that derive most of their value form any draws they flop, and I ESPECIALLY do not like playing these hands early and out of position.

Also, we I do play soemthing like the Q8s here, and I do hit the flop with a draw and a pair, I am VERY "wary" of any calls of my flop bet. My primary concern with hands liek these is to effective exercise POT CONTROL, and I definately want to seek a way to avoid getting all in on the river (like in the hand). See this link: http://www.beatnolimit.com/poker-str...ot-control.htm

I do not really see anything "wrong" with a solid flop bet on a top pair/3rd nut flush draw hand, but if/when that fails to win me the pot right there, I GOTTA consider slowing down. I think you;d have been better served doing the same, no matter what the outcome of this hand actually was...

Old
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 03:23 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Thanks for that, JDean. I'm used to crushing bad players early to chip up, and I wasn't thinking very much about what would flat my flop bet here, besides a weak player playing weird. I suppose when my turn bet got flatted, too, I definitely should have slowed down, but since I was OOP and folding to an all-in would have been difficult on the river, I see why pot control should have been a priority well before the river.

I like your idea about playing to avoid the need to go all-in in sit & go's. I don't know what limit you play, but that shouldn't be too difficult at the $1 level. I'm going to try and play a few right now and see if a slower strategy would work better.

Thanks again.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com