Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Rebuy Tournaments

Old
Rebuy Tournaments - Sat Feb 05, 2011, 10:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Have any of you guys ever entered these rebuys? I entered an 8VPP unlimited rebuy Turbo Takedown satellite, telling myself that if I didn't catch a fast start, I'd drop out. It was a complete shove-fest. This one guy on my right was jamming almost every hand, and must've rebought fifty times or so. Funny thing is he made the final table. I found that sticking to good hand selection, and watching people's ranges to know when to get it in, was all it took to get on the leaderboard without ever rebuying. I added-on, so I spent 16 VPP's overall, and I finished in 10th (no prize). Most of my chip gains or losses came from coin flips, so it really didn't seem to be much of a skill game.

Just wanted to hear about rebuy experiences from you guys, and I was wondering if there's any strategy involved that I don't know about.

Old
Sat Feb 05, 2011, 11:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
playing one right now. dont play them very often but needed somthing else to keep me busy during PSO. i have cashed one rebuy tourney before tho. i like to start them right before registration closes and then add on.

Old
Sat Feb 05, 2011, 11:02 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Unfortunately that's the way I've found many rebuy tournaments to be as they feel they have nothing to lose because they can just rebuy. When I've helped run live rebuy tournaments we limited it to 1 rebuy within the first hour.

Old
Sat Feb 05, 2011, 11:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
My first-ever live tournament had an unlimited rebuy period, but required that you had at least one chip remaining in your stack to be able to rebuy. People were not playing very recklessly in that one. That was one of the reasons I became interested in poker, because I cashed in 3rd in that one, also without rebuying.

Old
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 06:10 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2010
Re-buys do promote even more reckless play than normal and as a consequence can be very profitable if you play very tight/aggressive and are extremly lucky. If you find yourself struggling with all the loose play going on don't re-buy or add-on. If you are doing well when it comes to add-on go for it if it doesn't mean you have to finish that much deeper to get a return.

I played a few UK freerolls that were re-buy / add-on, yes re-buy into a freeroll???? You wouldn't believe the amount of re-buys a single player will throw at them, sometimes to the point that they would have to finish top 3 to guarantee a return. I managed to cash in a few without re-buying or adding-on.

Personally I won't be playing any fee entry re-buys, combatting loose/aggressive play is hard enough without the buggers resurrecting every 2 mins like Dawn of the Dead each time they bust out, its bad enough that they do it every 2 or 3 hours in PSO

Old
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 10:52 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogweed1964 View Post
Personally I won't be playing any fee entry re-buys, combatting loose/aggressive play is hard enough without the buggers resurrecting every 2 mins like Dawn of the Dead each time they bust out, its bad enough that they do it every 2 or 3 hours in PSO
Yes, sadly we can't "double tap" them... Feel about the same about them as I do spammers. I think all email spammers should be collected and put in a lead-lined room and irradiated with low nuclear radiation so that they're sterile as mules and unable to breed.

Old
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:59 PM
(#7)
I like the 1 rebuy and 1 addon tourney.
Donkey's can only re buy once adding more money to the payout.
I usually buy in 30 min after the tourney starts. By then most of them are out or not shoving every
hand.

Old
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 03:50 PM
(#8)
i accidentally registered for the $3.30R 180man turbo SNG the other night

donked myself out on a flush draw did a double rebuy, plus addon

$12.30 investment and placed 6th... good for $75.45

i like them, just not going to play regularly. like i said, it was an accident - i thought i was registering for the $2.20/180 turbo

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com