Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Learning????????

Old
Default
Learning???????? - Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:27 PM
(#1)
nas388car's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 190
How can i put this without coming off as a whiner............What exactly are the newbies learning here?, i'll try n break it down from my perspective,,, All the more experienced players are folding primo hands and doing the patience thing, but when they do decide to play a monster, it loses to a garbage hand, Hmm let me try this and see what happens, Oh my this is working out to my advantage, as long as i play garbage i will win and then when i'm in the double digit stack i can just push anything and everything and keep pushing the more experienced players out until their stack is so small they don't have a chance of coming back. Now where does this all start, IMO it starts from the Quiz's and then the DEPOSIT followed up by the PROGRAMMED RNG ( in which btw was written by a HUMAN BEING and can be MANIPULATED by a HUMAN BEING ) so as to keep PS profit going. Now i know that all the trolls in here will probably jump all over this but TBH i don't care anymore, like i said this is just my opinion.......... there is a mathematical equation in this post, if you see it plz let me know. ty all for reading and i will cya's out on the tables continuing to take the beats and possibly learn another aspect of this game (if that is possible ) to help me in the future.
 
Old
Default
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:34 PM
(#2)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas388car View Post
How can i put this without coming off as a whiner............What exactly are the newbies learning here?, i'll try n break it down from my perspective,,, All the more experienced players are folding primo hands and doing the patience thing, but when they do decide to play a monster, it loses to a garbage hand, Hmm let me try this and see what happens, Oh my this is working out to my advantage, as long as i play garbage i will win and then when i'm in the double digit stack i can just push anything and everything and keep pushing the more experienced players out until their stack is so small they don't have a chance of coming back. Now where does this all start, IMO it starts from the Quiz's and then the DEPOSIT followed up by the PROGRAMMED RNG ( in which btw was written by a HUMAN BEING and can be MANIPULATED by a HUMAN BEING ) so as to keep PS profit going. Now i know that all the trolls in here will probably jump all over this but TBH i don't care anymore, like i said this is just my opinion.......... there is a mathematical equation in this post, if you see it plz let me know. ty all for reading and i will cya's out on the tables continuing to take the beats and possibly learn another aspect of this game (if that is possible ) to help me in the future.

another one that thinks it's rigged and still plays

good luck

 
Old
Exclamation
I tried playing normal ,,,,whatever that is,,,, - Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:42 PM
(#3)
gmanwicksy's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 861
well for me anyway,,, all good starting hands,,,,,, rght position,,,,didnt run clock,,,,,played normal,,,, and came in 4000 something my worst month ever,,,,,,but doesnt matter,,,all fun,,,,,......always next time,,,,,,not whining or complaining either,,,, but not afraid to post my results either,,,, even if it makes me look crappy and makes some people want to call me names,,,,bring it on,,,, I will scratch you down like a flea on my buttI was using the league for what its for and that is practice,,,,, and I did ,,,,, some different things,,,,, without losing any cash,,,and without worrying about position or cashing ......,,,things I work on ,,,,are slowly helping me in real money games so thats all that matters,,,,,,,
 
Old
Default
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:48 PM
(#4)
Cyis's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 193
BronzeStar
Yeah I can see this... I just got out of the 15:00 ET *cough* "skill" *cough* league tourney...

I had a hand that was all-in pre-flop, no I wasn't the one leading the betting as I was the button holding QJo when UTG+1 raised 3bb followed by an all-in from MP+1. I had both covered in chips and hadn't seen them playing anything but garbage up to this point so I called, UTG+1 called all-in and we watched the cards be opened up and run out... PokerStove had me at 40% to win pre-flop against two Ace-rag hands (one suited, one not)... Unfortunately for me the suited Ace-rag hit their low card on the flop and the board paired on the river.

Another hand same tourney a couple blind levels earlier... Holding Queens UTG so I bet it 3bb and get UTG who I'd already dominated on several hands prior to this going down to showdowns pushes all-in for about 2/3rds my stack. I call and hands open up to show I'm 71% ahead Queens vs. KTo which quickly goes nowhere as flop hits both his cards for 2 pair and I was drawing dead the rest of the way to the river as blanks fell for the turn and river.
 
Old
Default
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:48 PM
(#5)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanwicksy View Post
well for me anyway,,, all good starting hands,,,,,, rght position,,,,didnt run clock,,,,,played normal,,,, and came in 4000 something my worst month ever,,,,,,but doesnt matter,,,all fun,,,,,......always next time,,,,,,not whining or complaining either,,,, but not afraid to post my results either,,,, even if it makes me look crappy and makes some people want to call me names,,,,bring it on,,,, I will scratch you down like a flea on my buttI was using the league for what its for and that is practice,,,,, and I did ,,,,, some different things,,,,, without losing any cash,,,and without worrying about position or cashing ......,,,things I work on ,,,,are slowly helping me in real money games so thats all that matters,,,,,,,



 
Old
Default
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 05:05 PM
(#6)
Cyis's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 193
BronzeStar
I don't fall in with the group that say it's rigged... PS has had outside third-party assessment audits done on their RNG and that's sufficient to me... I will also say that because of the take-away lessons I've learned playing in the PSO tourneys I've improved both in my table play with the local league I play with and on the cash tables.

In the case of both the hands I mentioned in my early post, Overall my Win % for both starting hands regardless of position is 80% with pocket Queens and only 52% with QJo... Take position into the equation and I'm 66% from UTG with Queens and 36% with QJo from the button. Though I could probably stand to increase the hand count in my data set as I only have a lil over 6K hands at this point.
 
Old
Default
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 06:05 PM
(#7)
nas388car's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 190
another one that thinks it's rigged and still plays

Not once did i use the word " rigged " in that post Hemet, i was just giving my opinion and observations over the last 3 months of being in this school, the pattern is showing the newbies that garbage hands seem to be the prominent and proper way to play to be successful in this school, are you a programmer by any chance?, my son is going to school for computer programming and has told me that a written programme will execute what it is written to do. like i said, i will continue to play here and if and when we meet at the same table ask yourself, is he playing poker against me OR is he playing the programme against me!!!!. gl evry1 in your quest to become better POKER players.
 
Old
Default
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 06:16 PM
(#8)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas388car View Post
another one that thinks it's rigged and still plays

Not once did i use the word " rigged " in that post Hemet, i was just giving my opinion and observations over the last 3 months of being in this school, the pattern is showing the newbies that garbage hands seem to be the prominent and proper way to play to be successful in this school, are you a programmer by any chance?, my son is going to school for computer programming and has told me that a written programme will execute what it is written to do. like i said, i will continue to play here and if and when we meet at the same table ask yourself, is he playing poker against me OR is he playing the programme against me!!!!. gl evry1 in your quest to become better POKER players.

you said it 's rigged with out using the word

if it is not programed to be random, as you suggest, then that's rigged

good luck

 
Old
Default
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 06:20 PM
(#9)
nas388car's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 190
It is what it is and will be played as such
 
Old
Default
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 06:29 PM
(#10)
BULLSeyeCoA's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 250
I joined PSO 2 months ago to learn to play poker correctly/properly...never played my first hand of poker until Dec.10th...and I have to agree the vast majority in the skill league do not in any way play according to what is taught in the lessons/courses...it's obvious many here are extremely frustrated and want/need a change...remember PS and PSO are here for one reason and one reason only...that said here's another idea....

PS is a real world of online gambling poker.

PSO is a school...so make it a school. Those that wish to learn need to stay in school. Those that don't wish to learn and want to make it in the real world should drop out of school and go for it.

Now as fas as the school goes...make freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior levels. Each level consists of lessons, courses, live training, and daily freeroll tourneys.

Starting at freshman with lessons, courses, and live training concerning fundamentals of poker, rules, etiquette, etc. Freshman school takes two months to complete. Daily tourneys pay T-$10 to the top 10% only. In order to graduate from freshman and advance to sophomore level one must pass all quizzes of said courses with a grade of 90% or better and make top 10% of the freshman freeroll tourney league. Top honors(3%) should be awarded a little more cash. T$ received in this level is used to enroll in the sophomore level. Those that don't meet said requirements may re-take the freshman level.

Sophomore level consists of same cirriculum except it consists of more advanced learning. Passing the sophomore level allows entry into the junior level. Payout structure awards a little more than freshman level. Those that don't graduate may re-take this level.

Junior level same as above except more advanced and a little more pay. Throw in SnG's in at this level.

Senior level same as above except more advanced and a little more pay. By this level one should easily be "active".

Now, this is where the PSO Skill League should truly begin where senior PSO graduates can play their hearts out for a really nice real money pay structure.

Just throwing out an idea...not sure if it's worth the trouble nor if PS is willing to consider it, not to mention Dave would also be bald at this point.

BULLS
 
Old
Default
Sun Feb 06, 2011, 07:13 PM
(#11)
Faery Tats's Avatar
Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 316
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanwicksy View Post
well for me anyway,,, all good starting hands,,,,,, rght position,,,,didnt run clock,,,,,played normal,,,, and came in 4000 something my worst month ever,,,,,,but doesnt matter,,,all fun,,,,,......always next time,,,,,,not whining or complaining either,,,, but not afraid to post my results either,,,, even if it makes me look crappy and makes some people want to call me names,,,,bring it on,,,, I will scratch you down like a flea on my buttI was using the league for what its for and that is practice,,,,, and I did ,,,,, some different things,,,,, without losing any cash,,,and without worrying about position or cashing ......,,,things I work on ,,,,are slowly helping me in real money games so thats all that matters,,,,,,,
I absolutely agree with everything that Cat has said. Almost everyone says the one thing that we all need to learn is patience, but I also think we need to learn to lose gracefully. We all want to achieve the same end, and for each of us we take different paths, nor will we all agree that one's chosen path is the "correct" one.

PSO for me is practice with trying to maintain a way to reach a goal. Obviously that goal is becoming a better player, the added bonus is earning some cash. It allows me to try different strategies that I might not try elsewhere. Though I think the biggest lesson when playing is adaptation. We need to adapt to the environment in which we are put into. The circumstance is as of right now for at least the first hour of PSO, those of us who are trying to build our game, must deal with those who don't care or think shoving and chipping up is the means to the end. Unless, the structure is changed and divisions are created these are the cards we are dealt.

Nas, I do understand what you are saying and maybe for me I see things a little differently then most. But, I do look at the league as a way to better my game and lead me to lands unknown...

See ya' at the tables...

Rosie
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 12:12 AM
(#12)
1_ STR8RZR's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 76
BronzeStar
Learning? I have to say yes. I can relate to all the same frustrations everyone has that is honestly trying to play good poker in the league, but I have seen improvement in my game. I try to learn something from every tournament I play. One thing I have learned is control over my emotions. I am not surprised and upset over the bad beats anymore because I have come to expect them. I dont startle my wife anymore when out of the blue I just jump up from my seat yelling like a madman.

There is much more to be learned here than most of us recognize so as long as I keep learning things, I'll keep taking my bad beats with as much class as I can and maybe learn enough to get up to the top consistently every month. Evidently it can be done because I see others doing it!
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 12:17 AM
(#13)
Darkman61's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,226
BronzeStar
I've learnt that no matter how well I hide, a pig will come and find me
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 01:52 AM
(#14)
tazz864's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,143
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas388car View Post
How can i put this without coming off as a whiner............What exactly are the newbies learning here?, i'll try n break it down from my perspective,,, All the more experienced players are folding primo hands and doing the patience thing, but when they do decide to play a monster, it loses to a garbage hand, Hmm let me try this and see what happens, Oh my this is working out to my advantage, as long as i play garbage i will win and then when i'm in the double digit stack i can just push anything and everything and keep pushing the more experienced players out until their stack is so small they don't have a chance of coming back. Now where does this all start, IMO it starts from the Quiz's and then the DEPOSIT followed up by the PROGRAMMED RNG ( in which btw was written by a HUMAN BEING and can be MANIPULATED by a HUMAN BEING ) so as to keep PS profit going. Now i know that all the trolls in here will probably jump all over this but TBH i don't care anymore, like i said this is just my opinion.......... there is a mathematical equation in this post, if you see it plz let me know. ty all for reading and i will cya's out on the tables continuing to take the beats and possibly learn another aspect of this game (if that is possible ) to help me in the future.
You're right... you come off as a whiner...

Im just saying
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 02:09 AM
(#15)
tazz864's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,143
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas388car View Post
another one that thinks it's rigged and still plays

Not once did i use the word " rigged " in that post Hemet,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
you said it 's rigged with out using the word

if it is not programed to be random, as you suggest, then that's rigged

good luck

I see your point, nascar, but some people only see what they want to see. If it's as you say (which I kinda doubt) then it's like that for everyone. Repeated success with poor holdings is only repeated success over a large number of hands. I don't think you can claim a large number of hands have been played when the league is less than a year old.
Also, with new players coming in all the time, isn't variance continuously refreshed? TBH, I'm not sure how variance works in a continuously refreshed league.
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 05:25 AM
(#16)
SteveArtist's Avatar
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 85
BronzeStar
I agree with you nas388car. I may be the only one that does agree with you after reading this post. I was happy i found this site a couple months ago because it had a "poker school". Cool, i thought to myself, a place that i can "learn how to play poker "! Well the first couple of weeks i did learn a few things from regular members who were more than happy to teach. Then 'poof'...the help and advice ended ! Everything changed. I could speculate the reasons why, and would be correct at each and every one. But whats the point. All that would happen is the 'donks' and 'shove monkeys' who frequent the forum would tell me how 'great it is here'... and that 'if i didnt like it here, to leave'. But im going to be around here now for awhile because,well... my wife and i get bored during the day and its better than watching a soap opera. Also because i have learned something here...how to be a 'donk and a shove monkey' ! I'm sure that PSO was, and could be, what it set out to be. They have made a couple of changes recently in the right direction. Hope they will continue to do so before they get a bad 'rep' of becoming 'the best site for bad players'. Kudos to PokerStars for the changes. Kudos to the real poker players here who continue to grind it out. Now...lets get out there and 'donk and shove' to the best of our ability ! HEEEEEE....HAWWWW... i'm gonna get me a Penny !



...if i have offended anyone...too bad. if anyone agrees with me...cool. if anyone laughed...even better !
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 07:42 AM
(#17)
nas388car's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz864 View Post
I see your point, nascar, but some people only see what they want to see. If it's as you say (which I kinda doubt) then it's like that for everyone. Repeated success with poor holdings is only repeated success over a large number of hands. I don't think you can claim a large number of hands have been played when the league is less than a year old.
Also, with new players coming in all the time, isn't variance continuously refreshed? TBH, I'm not sure how variance works in a continuously refreshed league.


Exactly, if your seeing garbage hands hitting 75% of the time and good hands hitting 25% of the time, I ask you, which way are you gonna play?, are you gonna play the way the school is teaching you or are you gonna play the way the RNG dictates. Like i said before, I'm just voicing my observations of what i have seen over the last 3 months. And there isn't a single person in here that can deny the fact that a written programme can be manipulated. Now if you owned a business and you had investors ( depositors ) who are you gonna keep happy, the investors or the non-investors?. And yes i will continue to play here and work on this conflict i'm experiencing, i have a habit of finding flaws in things through observation and i don't care what people think or feel about me when i voice them, maybe when i get more knowledgeable about this online poker i can be more positive in my posts and comments, but until then, this is me, take it or leave it.
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 09:03 PM
(#18)
kvance1972's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 86
BronzeStar
Well nas,

You don't sound like no wiener to me , you sound like someone fed up with idiots that don't try to learn and play the game the way it's meant to be played and they treat the skilled league as an all in hope to hit donkfest cause there's no money loss ..It's just another freeroll to be a jack arse..Grant it i'll give it to the donks yeah if everyone played the same kind of hands the same way ,sure that would be kind of boring to an extent , but that's real poker ....Constantly pushing your whole stack in on what ever hand you feel like playing is not poker , go play the lottery or go to a bingo parlor if your gonna play that way , or wait better yet go to a card room take your hard earned money and do that..
Leave the poker school alone and let it be what it's meant to be a place to learn and get better at the game..I noticed last month or so that concept has gone right out the window and it's become just another freeroll donkfest ..I'm still sticking to my guns and think anyone who finishes in the bottom 40% of the league should have their PSO tickets suspended till they pass all four quizzes maybe , just maybe it might fix the problem for a little while


Anyways I'm just sayin' and good luck to ya nas
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 09:38 PM
(#19)
tazz864's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,143
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvance1972 View Post
think anyone who finishes in the bottom 40% of the league should have their PSO tickets suspended till they pass all four quizzes maybe , just maybe it might fix the problem for a little while


Anyways I'm just sayin' and good luck to ya nas
This is something that I have trouble figurin'.
If one 'sticks to his/her guns,' and is constantly 'donked' out by inferior players, won't they be in the bottom 40%?? How will that fix anything?

Im just sayin...
 
Old
Default
LOL !! - Tue Feb 08, 2011, 09:42 PM
(#20)
BUDA505's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
I've learnt that no matter how well I hide, a pig will come and find me

That makes you a truffle darkman , I like truffles lol

Hope you get it all worked out nas, GL BRO!

Last edited by BUDA505; Tue Feb 08, 2011 at 09:47 PM..
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com