Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

keeping track of your own stats

Old
keeping track of your own stats - Mon Feb 07, 2011, 04:09 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Do you guys do this? This week is the start of me taking poker a little more serious and have created an excel sheet on what games I play, winnings etc. Hopefully this will make me a better player.

Started playing an hour ago and played x4 one table sit and gos at once. Cashed 3 times (no first place) - not bad at all but the pay out isn't much, I like the one table games but wonder if they're profitable. Put down $27.50 is reg fees and made $18.50 profit...might not be worth the risk.

Also taking bad beats as stats; 2 out of the 4 games I just played, I got knocked out on a beat (one particularly bad one). Seems kind of negative to keep stats relating to beats but has been happening a lot - today's ratio is 50/50. Boggles the mind as I had to be 75% to win one hand pre-flop and at least 90% to win the other post flop (set vs middle pair). Want to know how beats are effecting my bankroll in the long term.

Last edited by deezer_dee; Mon Feb 07, 2011 at 04:22 AM..

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 05:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezer_dee View Post
Do you guys do this? This week is the start of me taking poker a little more serious and have created an excel sheet on what games I play, winnings etc. Hopefully this will make me a better player.

Started playing an hour ago and played x4 one table sit and gos at once. Cashed 3 times (no first place) - not bad at all but the pay out isn't much, I like the one table games but wonder if they're profitable. Put down $27.50 is reg fees and made $18.50 profit...might not be worth the risk.

Also taking bad beats as stats; 2 out of the 4 games I just played, I got knocked out on a beat (one particularly bad one). Seems kind of negative to keep stats relating to beats but has been happening a lot - today's ratio is 50/50. Boggles the mind as I had to be 75% to win one hand pre-flop and at least 90% to win the other post flop (set vs middle pair). Want to know how beats are effecting my bankroll in the long term.

Okay. deezer you're experience here far outstrips mine but I think you've been disapponited by middling results because you can't see the forest for the trees.

I personally keep track of my results by writing them down and keeping a monthly list in a binder. I know what I'm looking for as far whether or not I'll be happy with my progress and am quite sure that the standards I'll hold myself to before I allow myself to move up a buy-in level will be more exacting and beyond what is generally advised vis-a-vis normal BR management.

As far as you're risk versus profit musings if I'm reading this right you plunked down $27.50 to win $46.00 for a profit of $18.50. Dude that's a return on investment (ROI) of +67%. Just what WOULD make you happy,LOL? That' about as good as it gets IF you can do it over an extended period. One thing I notice in your posts is that you seem to meander from different games and buy-in levels with no rhyme or reason. Bad,bad policy if your goal is to be profitable. Find a level that you are COMFORTABLE grinding and that meets proper BR management parameters. Then find the games at that level that you think would be the strongest for YOU,your skill set. Then BEAT that game,grind it until you do over a large sample. Then beat it AGAIN. THEN when you have beaten what you are playing at that level and have built your BR up sufficiently,and ONLY then,move up. Rinse and repeat.

As far as the bad beats go,all I can say is that 3 days ago I downloaded the trial version of PT3,more out of the interest I had in some insights into my numbers that it might provide than anything else. For all my allusions (like many others I'm sure) of my AA/KK/QQ and AK hands being burned worse than the Steppes by the Russians to deny the advancing Germans any provender,I was quite surprised (shocked) that since the first of the year (apparently PT3 refreshes your stats as the calender year changes and it's up to you to save the previous year's #'s before they're dumped? still playing with this not sure.........) my hands and their win/loss %'s were mostly within normal parameters over the 34 days in question. Not a big sample to be sure but enlighteneing nonetheless. One thing I did notice that my AA win % was a few points high. Barely had time to drink that in before my AA hands have been just 3 for 6 the last couple days,LOL.

Here's my take on bad beats and it's something that I still struggle to wrap my head around but I'm trying........With all but a few exceptions there are NO BAD BEATS. It's just normalcy. AA will lose about 20% of the time,KK more than that and so on and so forth.That means that if you were dealt AA EVERY hand,everytime you played you would still.mathematically speaking,be EXPECTED to lose 20% of the time.

Beats are going to happen,EVERYTIME you play. If you get "bad beat" out of every game that you don't win then you would be,by far,the best player who ever played. I understand now,if I don't win and I'm playing well the likeliehood is that my exit from any MTT/SNG will be ugly. If too mant are cases where I'm putting my chips in behind,not ahead or at least a flip,then I'm playing badly. If I'm never going out playing a weaker hand then I'm playing too tight.

It's all a balancing act I think. I never really got that so much in live play,but here that math of the game just slaps you in the face so much that it opens up all sorts of new insights. Not that math is'nt big live as well,but there I just "played' before. More by feel than anything else. Feel still plays a huge part of it,but it must be balanced with other things.

Hope this is useful.

Good luck.

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 05:10 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Many of us use tracking software (Pt3/Hem) which does all this for you automatically (ie breakdown of how profitable certain hands you play are / session stats / hud etc). If you havn't already , give pokertreacker 3 a try. You get a free month or two to see what it is like.

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 05:37 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
...if you were dealt AA EVERY hand,everytime you played...
:O

Anyway, I don't have an HUD at the moment, but I think I'm about ready to track my stats in a binder, too. I like the Moxie way of thinking. Reading forum posts is so helpful.

And deezer, the first time I read your post, I was confused, too. Profiting that much hardly seems like much of a risk (since you're profiting), and if you can play 4 tables at once and cash 3 times out of 4, then you might be looking at a pretty profitable way to spend your time. Do the stats thing, try it out for awhile, and see if you can crush your limit.

Hope to hear back from you.

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 06:31 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Thanks for input. Pix; sounds to me that you have your head around poker a lot more than me so I doubt the experience comment is correct. Been playing for a little over a year now and just can't seem to move up but then again, haven't been doing it very seriously.

Will check out the recommended software...thx

Was thinking later about what I wrote and you're right, shouldn't bitch about what "little" profit I'm making compared to the buy in. If I was making that profit in cash games as compared to what I put on the table, I would be a happy camper. Was just wondering if only playing one table sit and gos was good for my bankroll in the long term.

Just played 4 more sit and gos and didn't cash in any of them . Good news is that I didn't consider that due to any bad beats. That's quite a streak of cards holding up. Each time I went in, it was with the worst of it. Did consider myself unlucky sometimes but that's not really the same thing is it? Currently down a total of $9...wish me luck!

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 06:42 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Good luck.

For what it's worth, I find that the 2am Eurasian players seem to do well with the sit&go's. I try and stick to ones dominated by Americans. :P I can beat them.

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 11:55 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Got my booty kicked in FL HE for a bit and now total down is $17 for the day. Kinda depressing keeping score

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com