Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Location change

Old
Location change - Mon Feb 07, 2011, 12:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
I noticed this morning that when you move your cursor over a player it is only giving the country they live in. Anyone have the reason thsi was changed? It was always nice sitting at a table and finding someone that lived in your state or close to you.

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 12:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by will26354 View Post
I noticed this morning that when you move your cursor over a player it is only giving the country they live in. Anyone have the reason thsi was changed? It was always nice sitting at a table and finding someone that lived in your state or close to you.
i know right

i guess this puts an end to my virginia list and thats sad because i have met some good peeps that live down the road from me

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 12:57 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
I noticed this too, and I think it is a step backwards.

The United States is a Big Country as is Canada, and even tho the United Kingdom is nowhere near these sizes, it doesn't give you a clue as to where people are from. They could be just down the road or four hundred miles away, which in Britain is a long way.

I think they should revert back, it was much friendlier.

Just my twopennyworth.

Old
Location - Mon Feb 07, 2011, 04:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
I don't see why they can't have both. Sometimes town names are deceiving - I live in Ile des Chenes, Mb, Canada and have had people speaking French to me. There's probably a space consideration in the display length.

Good luck!!

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 04:32 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
It was being exploited people were typing in things like downbytheriver and ive even seen quite a few that were flat out obsene which i care not to mention and that was just in english dont even want to guess at what some of the cyrillic text types was saying

Last edited by Eagle3947; Mon Feb 07, 2011 at 04:36 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 07:00 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Personally, i want PokerStars to put it back the way it was. I enjoyed talking to players in my home state and to others across the country and the globe. I agree it is not as friendly anymore. No more chatting about the weather, sports...etc, locally, nationally or worldwide. I had in the planning stages of having a local get together of fellow players in my surrounding area. Now it will be harder to find these players. If the change is because of a limited few who have rude or lude words in place of where they reside, then PS should give these players 48 hrs to correct their addresses, or ban them until they do make the appropriate changes. Its a shame that because of a few idiots, that we all have to be punished. Whatever reason PS did this doesn't matter. Fix it. Just give us what we want...put it back the way it was....and have a nice day.

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 07:17 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I liked it the old way too. Whenever I saw a city I didn't know, it was a good reason to google it, find out where they were from and learn where the other cities are.

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 07:27 PM
(#8)
guess i'm one of the few that likes it this way better
I'm way too lazy (and usually multitabling 6+) to ever google cities and some of those northern euro cities sounded like a 20 letter sneeze. Combined this with the people that try to make lame jokes out of their location. I'm currently on a table with three people from netherlands, I would never have known that prior to this. I give a thumbs up to the change, but understand why others would not.

Last edited by Da Sens Fan; Mon Feb 07, 2011 at 07:35 PM..

Old
??/ - Mon Feb 07, 2011, 08:08 PM
(#9)
??????

l still see the cities there from,,???

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 08:09 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
??????

l still see the cities there from,,???
Stop drinking

Old
lol - Mon Feb 07, 2011, 08:17 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
Stop drinking

lol....never....hiccup

but still see the cites....so not sure what the sober peeps are seeing...hiccup

Old
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 08:20 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
lol....never....hiccup

but still see the cites....so not sure what the sober peeps are seeing...hiccup

i'll bet when you log off then log back in it will change

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 12:37 AM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
It will be harder to find multi-accounters as well. And it's boring.

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 12:47 AM
(#14)
now how i'm s'pose to justify calls based on where they from

Old
Thumbs up
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 08:23 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArtist View Post
Personally, i want PokerStars to put it back the way it was. I enjoyed talking to players in my home state and to others across the country and the globe. I agree it is not as friendly anymore. No more chatting about the weather, sports...etc, locally, nationally or worldwide. I had in the planning stages of having a local get together of fellow players in my surrounding area. Now it will be harder to find these players. If the change is because of a limited few who have rude or lude words in place of where they reside, then PS should give these players 48 hrs to correct their addresses, or ban them until they do make the appropriate changes. Its a shame that because of a few idiots, that we all have to be punished. Whatever reason PS did this doesn't matter. Fix it. Just give us what we want...put it back the way it was....and have a nice day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I liked it the old way too. Whenever I saw a city I didn't know, it was a good reason to google it, find out where they were from and learn where the other cities are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curran View Post
I noticed this too, and I think it is a step backwards.

The United States is a Big Country as is Canada, and even tho the United Kingdom is nowhere near these sizes, it doesn't give you a clue as to where people are from. They could be just down the road or four hundred miles away, which in Britain is a long way.

I think they should revert back, it was much friendlier.

Just my twopennyworth.

/signed

It was fun finding out that a player on your table was close to you and was able to say ''Howdy Neighbor'' and be able to strike up a conversation and on the flip side be able to ask that person that's from ''anytown, USA'' (just as an example) OMG where the sam hell is that and be able to have some small talk on the table.

''The World, as a whole, need to learn to develop better communication skills with thier fellow man''

Last edited by Eagle3947; Tue Feb 08, 2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 04:19 AM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArtist View Post
+1

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:20 AM
(#17)
Don't be paranoid about the Cyrillic town names, they were just place names for the most part, like Novosibirsk and such. I read Cyrillic, having taken Russian in university.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com