Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Bankroll Management

Old
Bankroll Management - Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I always overplay my bankroll.... so only people who do not go bust with their bankrolls answer this please, and only people who cash out decent amounts of money fairly regularly. Thanls...

What is the key to success here? Should I limit myself to say, nothing in excess of 2% of my bankroll?

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 06:24 PM
(#2)
Deleted user

Last edited by deleted_username; Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 12:11 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 09:36 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2010
BronzeStar
I think 1 1/2% is about right for tourneys

Ok so I have about $120

PLO8 I will play $2 - $4 tourneys

NLH I will play mostly .10c .55c and $1.10

I like the $2.20 1/4 mil sat

The .55 and $1.10 PSO games have $11 and $33 added so they are a good deal I have been playing these lately

The NAPL .11c and $1.10 are good because of the ability to get weekly and monthly leader board money.

I haven't learned how to make any kind of profit online playing cash tables, I seem to break even on the FL08 tables.

Online I am ok at tourneys I think because I know how to fold, folding doesn't make you any money on a cash tables though.

On cash tables I rarely sit with more than .80c, but I keep hearing you are supposed to sit with table max I cant bring myself to do that though.

The trick to to hit up as many free offers as you can. I won alot of money in the Lambo weekly and grand finals, I won a NAPT ticket to a $8000 freeroll the other day by playing a freeroll. And I need to get in the $100,000 freeroll for people with the met requirements for home games.

If it wasn't for PSO and other PS promotions I would still be grinding the astronomers freerolls which is another promotion but cant seem to get myself to take those seriously anymore.

If you are good at min cashing, the $2.20 mil sat is the way to go. But play during the day when there are more recreational players, at night it is mostly grinders and much tougher in my experience anyway

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2010
well, my new way of not busting is by just playing with other people's money. It forces you to play at the level they want you to play at. You take someone else's money to the wrong table, and you'll never have access to it again.

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:20 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
win everything you play

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:20 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Bowie View Post
If you are good at min cashing, the $2.20 mil sat is the way to go. But play during the day when there are more recreational players, at night it is mostly grinders and much tougher in my experience anyway
now THAT is some good information to know, and it may explain why I've only had one cash in those. 1/5, at least it's a break even point.

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:54 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
whoo hoo I just cashed another $11, in the PSO $1.10. Next stop Vegas

Ha Ha Ha How do you like me now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2127.jpg (95.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg qaz 073.jpg (94.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg qaz 078.jpg (92.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2132.jpg (94.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2133.jpg (93.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Poncho Bowie; Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 03:46 AM..

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 12:31 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
PCA 5+ R in 40 min

I am working on getting a ticket this year, I already have a 4000 fpp ticket for Saturday. But I love these tourneys and this promotion, maybe if i win two tickets they will let me use one for next year.

My plan for these tourneys is to rebuy at the start for a total of 10fpp's If I make it to the add on I will add on. If I dont I will not rebuy but enter another one later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2134.jpg (97.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2137.jpg (95.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2140.jpg (93.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Poncho Bowie; Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 04:17 AM..

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:43 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
I won a 200fpp ticket with only 10fpps in the 5fpp rebuy, I forgot to add on because I was chatting

saw the flop

5 of 7 in BB ( 71% )
2 of 8 in SB ( 25% )
5 of 49 in other positions ( 10% )
total 12 of 64 ( 18% )
Pots won at showdown 3 of 3
Pots won without showdown 3

Next round in 2 hrs 17 min 200fpp ticket for a 500fpp ticket

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 03:11 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
If you do not like PokerStars and complain because you think you are good but really you are not good, you will never learn how to play online poker.

Just accept the fact that you have more to learn, If you think you are beat because of donkeys and programming, then you will never learn how to be w winning online player.

Poker is a tough sport and so many people think they know how to play after a few weeks months or years or whatever. The fact is this game requires much more intelligence than losers think, and the average player is getting better everyday. So you learned the basics odds and outs and position. wooptedo that is no more than the abc's of poker there is so much more to learn you have no idea, if this is what you think makes you a superior player. That is like learning your abc's in kindagarden and think you are a know it all because you can count to a hundred.

well i got news for you, it is not programming or donks that make you a loser, it is your attitude mainly that you are good enough to be a winning player that makes you a loser.

This game isn't as simple as you think, so what if some donk caught a hand, for the most part they lose but here are so many of them that it is not so apparent. It is like taking a drugdealer off the streets, there is always someone willing and able to take there place you cant get rid of them, ever, learn to beat them and understand even the best players rarly have an ITM of over 20%. Even if somone like me for example has a high ITM of around 30% , this means nothing other than I am a min casher, deep run players dont ITM that often, and tyhe money is in deep runs not in min cash.

I love PokerStars, why because I am a halfway decent player, and when I get donked out I know the next game is a registration away and I wont get donked out every time. Most of the time i get knocked out of a tourney it is because of my dumass mistakes, not because of the river, or a donk. some times it is but not most of the time.

PokerStars is awesome lets me do what i want when i want, and I have made some good friends, although i am not much for the online social life , I must admit the people I have got to know for the most part are great. I just miss being around people that you can take home or party with, But as far as Poker goes PokerStars rules. In live events you may play 1 - 5 games a day if you are lucky. Online I can play all the time and dont have to leave the house, and I am good enough to know donks make the game profitable and the cards are not rigged

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 04:37 AM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresBruno View Post
I always overplay my bankroll.... so only people who do not go bust with their bankrolls answer this please, and only people who cash out decent amounts of money fairly regularly. Thanls...

What is the key to success here? Should I limit myself to say, nothing in excess of 2% of my bankroll?
There is no "right" answer to this question, without knowing your PERSONAL goals...

the first thing to define is whether or not you really ARE on a "bank roll".

If the amount on which you have to play is "significant" to you, meaning you cannot easily replace it out of pocket (whether thru lack of financial means, OR thru lack of DESIRE to replace it), then you may have a bank roll.

So if you have $10, or $50, or $5000, and if you "go bust" you plan to re-deposit a similar amount, you do NOT have a bank roll.

If the amount you have to play on is to be used ONLY for poker, then you may have a bank roll.

So if you plan to remove a large portion of anything you win, and drop yourself BELOW a set amount needed to play your chosen game level, be it so you can go to McDonalds or be it so you can buy a diamond ecklace for your girl, you do NOT have a bank roll.

There is nothing WRONG with not haivng a bank roll by the way, as the vast majority of poker palyers play for "recreation", and do not really CARE about "growing" their money so they can continue playing; when they want to play, they jsut reach into their pocket and play.

The benefit of this is they can play as HIGH as they like, with little regard for "conservation" methods to off-set variance. With their higher play comes the possibility of greater short term rewards. There is nuttin' wrong with that at all...

If you DO have a bank roll though, and you DO want to "grow it", first you must have a "skill edge" over your oppoents. Without a skill edge at the level you are palying, no matter how you put your bank roll to work, no matter how you try to off-set variance, the BEST you can hope for if to go broke slower.

Next, if you do have a skill edge, then you will probably need a number of buy in's based upon your chosen STYLE. The looser and more aggressive you are, the greater your variance is likely to be.

For MTTs/SNGs, a very loose player will probably want around 150 to 200 BI. For cash games, the LAG will probably want at least 50 to 100 BI as a start. A tighter player may be able to get by on as little as 50 to 100 BI for MTT/SNG, but 50 could be a little short even for a TAG, especially for large field MTT. 25 to 50 BI for cash may work for a TAG, but again the higher amount gives a lot more safety cushion.

For more info, see Mike Caro's book "My Most Profitable Hold 'Em Secrets", which hsas by FAR the most concise and comprehensive discussion of bank roll management I have yet run across.

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:02 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
JDean, you never cease to amaze me.
We have discussed bank roll managenent a number of times now in group yet you still somehow manage to post something that gives me more useful info to ponder on the subject.

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 12:31 PM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
How did I not see this before starting my own thread

Ah. I know. I didn't get any further than the OP

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 12:52 PM
(#14)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
On cash tables I rarely sit with more than .80c, but I keep hearing you are supposed to sit with table max I cant bring myself to do that though.

I read somewhere that on cash you should have 20x the buy in in your BR. Worked out right for me but the most important thing is to play at your comfort level. If the thought of an aggrotard stealing your $10 on the .05/.10 tables make you nitty, then it isn't time.
I've not played much hold 'em but NL (micro) seems to be very TAG multi tablers. Very slow way to build BR and gain VPP's.
If you want action, my suggestion would be hit the PLO tables. Plenty of coinflippers and .80 shortstacks willing to push all-in on 2 outers.

Nice pics Poncho, like the dog but that old fella should be put to sleep, he looks to be in pain, it's the right thing to do!

Last edited by CreekRVRat; Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:29 PM
(#15)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted_username View Post
Just read through the whole 11 page thread ... great stuff man thx!

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:37 PM
(#16)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
If

I love PokerStars, why because I am a halfway decent player, and when I get donked out I know the next game is a registration away and I wont get donked out every time. Most of the time i get knocked out of a tourney it is because of my dumass mistakes, not because of the river, or a donk. some times it is but not most of the time.
Great perspective man ... I really dig that!

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:15 PM
(#17)
Quote:
whoo hoo I just cashed another $11, in the PSO $1.10. Next stop Vegas

Ha Ha Ha How do you like me now.

i see your leopard print purse on top of your desktop!!!

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:54 PM
(#18)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
How did I not see this before starting my own thread

Ah. I know. I didn't get any further than the OP
lol. I like that his threads are now being hijacked by people posting useful info.

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 03:23 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
[QUOTE=CreekRVRat;251501] Nice pics Poncho, like the dog but that old fella should be put to sleep, he looks to be in pain, it's the right thing to do! [/QUOTE

i keep waking up, thats the problem

Old
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 09:20 PM
(#20)
Deleted user

Last edited by deleted_username; Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 12:05 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com