Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

FH knocked out by Royal Flush

Old
FH knocked out by Royal Flush - Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
This gets pretty intense.. I'm presenting this for analysis because I would like some input regarding my play; did I make the correct move considering the circumstances, or should I have bet out my set ont he flop..?

It was a dream to see my pocket 7's hit on the flop, especially w/ an A showing on a rainbow board and several players still in the hand.. I was elated.. I pondered betting from EP, but I was also trying to bleed at least one of the other players of their stack.. Any advice..?

http://www.flopturnriver.com/Poker-H...SB-1318926.php

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 05:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
You could lead the flop or c/r the flop, but you are still doomed. The straight/flush draw isn't going anywhere even if you get it all in on the flop when you are ahead.

The title of your post is technically correct, yet stil misleading. When the money went in on the turn your set was trailing a broadway straight. The 10c converted the straight into a straight flush (royal) and converted your set to a full house, but none of that is relevant.

Last edited by DLeviathan; Tue Feb 08, 2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:41 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubbedNuts View Post
This gets pretty intense.. I'm presenting this for analysis because I would like some input regarding my play; did I make the correct move considering the circumstances, or should I have bet out my set ont he flop..?

It was a dream to see my pocket 7's hit on the flop, especially w/ an A showing on a rainbow board and several players still in the hand.. I was elated.. I pondered betting from EP, but I was also trying to bleed at least one of the other players of their stack.. Any advice..?

http://www.flopturnriver.com/Poker-H...SB-1318926.php

I had the same thing happen to me the other day...I had pocket A's and hit a A and 2 K's on the flop but the other guy held on and got the ten he needed on the river for a royal flush!. If I have a FH up against a possible royal flush i will pay him off every time! All you can say is "nice hand"!!!

Hang in there!

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 03:55 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Read this: http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy/theorems/zeebo/

...and recognize there is NOTHING as expensive as a good, but 2nd best hand.

The Turn was much more likely to result in your OPPONENT improving to a 2nd best hand, so I cannot really fault your aggressive play here.

Sure, MAYBE one of 'em in here has TT and flopped a bigger set. Or one of 'em is too "dumb" to recognize how BAD this spot is to limp AA and thus has top set. And sure somone could have QJ for the turned straight...

But it would take a multitude of things converging to land right on top you to make your hand no good here. If it IS that convergence, so be it: you cannot fear monsters.

So your decisions appear sound enough.

the ONLY thing I see here is your decision to "slow play" onthe flop. sure, you have the HAND to slow play, but the size of the pot in relation to your stack is pretty large. That warrants firing a bet, and "accepting" it if that bet means you just win what is in there then.

With that said, I too have gotten "fancy" with my flopped sets and checked these sorts of flops. It IS pretty "dry", but that Ace may well have meant someone calls a half pot bet or something from you, and the may even put you in. Still, a BET here is gunna "protect" you from the QJ, but if you are sweating over that fact NOW (after the hand), it is results oriented thinking. I'm just sayin; the bet MAY have been made due to the size of this pot in relation to your stack...ya know?

After that, you are jsut stuck.

Last edited by JDean; Thu Feb 10, 2011 at 04:08 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com