Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

All the sitters???

Old
All the sitters??? - Tue Feb 08, 2011, 05:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Besides all the bad beats that everyone is talking about lately, (and yeah, I personally think there's a crazy abundance of them...I swear I sat at somebody's insane joke of a poker game this morning).....but anybody know if Poker Stars is gonna do anything about all the sitters in the PSO's?? I've frequently sat down and played a good portion of the tournament with half the table sitting out. Not only does this make the blinds hit super fast, but it totally changes the play because people are betting and raising for the free chips on the blinds, knowing that they'll just be folded to them.

I don't mind people sitting out when necessary....for a beer, bathroom, even to cool off, or to not lose a stack to some of the horrible bad beats lately.....but seems to me there should be some restrictions on how long it's permitted before you're either kicked out of the tournament or PSO points are invalid for that game.

Just my opinion, of course....

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 05:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Unfortunately PokerStars are happy to have sitters. This subject has been debated several times but sitters still sit I am afraid. Annoying for peeps trying hard and getting knocked out with fewer points than the sitters (myself included) but unlike another site that ditches sitters at the end of the first blind PokerStars take the view that a person has paid them money to play (although there is not any money involved here) so can sit if s/he wishes.

It is probably just a pain to get a programming geek to sort it.

MB

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 05:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic22 View Post
Besides all the bad beats that everyone is talking about lately, (and yeah, I personally think there's a crazy abundance of them...I swear I sat at somebody's insane joke of a poker game this morning).....but anybody know if Poker Stars is gonna do anything about all the sitters in the PSO's?? I've frequently sat down and played a good portion of the tournament with half the table sitting out. Not only does this make the blinds hit super fast, but it totally changes the play because people are betting and raising for the free chips on the blinds, knowing that they'll just be folded to them.

I don't mind people sitting out when necessary....for a beer, bathroom, even to cool off, or to not lose a stack to some of the horrible bad beats lately.....but seems to me there should be some restrictions on how long it's permitted before you're either kicked out of the tournament or PSO points are invalid for that game.

Just my opinion, of course....

if 4 people are sitting out that means you only have to beat 4 people if you can't win chips from

4 people how are you going to win against 8 people

just play your cards stop worrying about the small stuff you have people trying to take your chips

and all your worryed about is a sitter lol wake up smell the coffee and play your cards

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 05:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
I understand your frustration.

Let me give you my advice. It's all about adopting to the situation.

If you find yourself in a super-aggressive play, tighten up and wait for your time to strike with a monster. Punish the players who create big pots with weak hands.

If the play is too fast for you, use all the time you have to slow it down. It is ok to stall, when the situation requires it.

I don't think that limiting the time for sitting-out is a good idea. You can experience this larger number of sitters only in freerolls and the sitters are dead money anyway.
PS / PSO won't do anything about it and I believe that they even shouldn't do anything about it.

Hope it is a bit of a help for you.

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 06:18 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
if 4 people are sitting out that means you only have to beat 4 people if you can't win chips from

4 people how are you going to win against 8 people

just play your cards stop worrying about the small stuff you have people trying to take your chips

and all your worryed about is a sitter lol wake up smell the coffee and play your cards

Well, if those four remaining people were playing a normal game and not trying to steal the dead blinds, then it wouldn't be such a problem, but that's not usually how the play goes on those tables and it changes the dynamics of the table and the game.

Thanks for your input there, hemet, and it's certainly not the thing I'm most worried about, but it's a definite annoyance that impacts the game and in a skill league, seems largely out of place and misused....though I understand it's because it's a freeroll.

So you refilling my coffee or what??

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 06:29 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic22 View Post
Well, if those four remaining people were playing a normal game and not trying to steal the dead blinds, then it wouldn't be such a problem, but that's not usually how the play goes on those tables and it changes the dynamics of the table and the game.

Thanks for your input there, hemet, and it's certainly not the thing I'm most worried about, but it's a definite annoyance that impacts the game and in a skill league, seems largely out of place and misused....though I understand it's because it's a freeroll.

So you refilling my coffee or what??
improvise, adapt, and over come

that is poker, can't do this go back to playing fish

was that cream and / or sugar

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 06:32 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Chelle View Post
I understand your frustration.

Let me give you my advice. It's all about adopting to the situation.

If you find yourself in a super-aggressive play, tighten up and wait for your time to strike with a monster. Punish the players who create big pots with weak hands.

If the play is too fast for you, use all the time you have to slow it down. It is ok to stall, when the situation requires it.

I don't think that limiting the time for sitting-out is a good idea. You can experience this larger number of sitters only in freerolls and the sitters are dead money anyway.
PS / PSO won't do anything about it and I believe that they even shouldn't do anything about it.

Hope it is a bit of a help for you.
Hi Grace and thanks for your reply and suggestions.

What you've suggested is pretty much what I've been trying to do, for more reasons than just the sitters! LOL And I do utilize the clock as much as necessary in those situations too.

I'm still not sure that I don't think they should do something about it....after all, this is being promoted as a skill league and I think a good number of people really do take it seriously and try to improve (though not all by any means) so it's not like your every day freeroll. But I understand that they're not likely to do anything about it, so one must adapt another stratgegy as necessary and move on.

I just wonder if people can sit their way into positive points (even if you don't make it ITM of that particular game) and then ultimately, into the money at the end of the month. I don't know, but it'd be interesting to find out.....and if that's possible, it really undermines the integrity of the league. Don't know that I'll ever get an answer to that question tho. LOL

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 06:36 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
improvise, adapt, and over come

that is poker, can't do this go back to playing fish

was that cream and / or sugar

You mean we aren't playing go fish???

Both please.

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 07:12 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Widen your range and learn to love them. That supertight range is for a full table, not one with only 5 active players. Yes the swings will be bigger, but you'll be playing real poker.

Or sit and chill until the blinds get bigger.

Old
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 07:13 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
Hey mystic, welcome to the pso and the forum.
Sitters are part of the game so you must simply adapt. The players trying to steal the blinds are entitled to. You just need to try to outplay them if you contest them. Stay tight, and play your big hands aggressively. It surely has to be easier to beat 4 players as opposed to 8.
BTW, on your other thread, concerning the viewing of mucked cards, the little red rewind circle up in the left corner, next to "previous hand," will show you mucked cards from a showdown. Those are the only hole cards revealed by HEM and PT3 as well I believe so, no issue there. Look through the ps list of prohibited and allowed, 3rd party software for all programs that you can and can't use.
Best o' luck!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com