Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Playing Fewer Tournaments With Better Tournament Play

Old
Question
Playing Fewer Tournaments With Better Tournament Play - Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
I am relatively new at PSO skill league as I have been a member since December 2010. My ratings have improved since I started, yet not to my satisfaction. I decided to identify the places where I lost the most points by reviewing my list of PSO points results. What I saw were alot of tournaments, many of them positive but also large negatives intermittantly. My first initial thought was "How can I eliminate the large variance situations in my game that produce negative points, to achieve higher standings?" What I found was two answers: 1. I was playing tournaments when either I did not have time or had played too much poker that day, and therefore 2. ended up playing great hands too much early in the tournament, which were beat, but many were not "bad beats" as described in the variance lesson. True bad beats are much more rare, and that is what makes them "bad beats". So in light of all the information, here is my strategy in concurrent order to the 2 problems listed above.
1. I now play less tournaments and only play one at a time so I can pay attention to individual characteristics of the players at my tables and avoid what I call "tournament tilt" when I lose sight of the overall objective. Also, I am going on the model of quality play over a large quantity of play. This also enables me to accomplish the other important things in my life like college.

2. Every now and then bad beats do occur, some worse than others. I found that the higher the category requirement for my hands early in the tourney, the more I hit positive points, and sometimes a great chip advantage at the crucial bubble part of the tourney.
Any feedback would be helpful! This is also in my blog if anyone prefers to give feedback there. Thanks.

Old
fewer tourneys - Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:19 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Welcome to the forum. I think it's always better to play fewer tourneys better, but that's just me. I'm sure you'll have lots of different opinions chiming in. As far as the PSO tourneys go, patience is your best friend.

Good luck!!

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:36 AM
(#3)
Welcome superstardum...GL and see ya around

BULLS

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:35 AM
(#4)
Hey there superstardum, welcome to the forum!
Nice first post. What a great self-analysis this is.
I agree, if you're mind isn't right, whether from playing too much, being distracted, or whatever...we all should step back here and take a little breather.
Variance is something that is going to occur. If we can limit our early exits to this, we will surely climb the leaderboard and do well elsewhere. So again, great job in noticing this.
Hope to see ya' out there and best o' luck!

Old
Thanks - Tue Feb 15, 2011, 03:15 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I appreciate the encouragement, and the strategy seems to be working. I am now in the top 900! Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
-Superstardum

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 06:19 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
I'd also taken to playing less and attempting for better results... Last month I believe I played in over 50 PSO tourneys and didn't really have a lot of positive points to show for it. I've also made modifications to my play from early into the later stages that have had good returns as well through the 26 tournaments I've played thus far with the best finishes this month having been this last weekend after making even more changes to my play.

I do understand the overplaying as last month when I was snowed in played every PSO tourney for 4 days straight and it had it's affects.

Old
Take My Advice. - Thu Feb 17, 2011, 10:29 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
I hope you guys can take my advice on this one. I didn't and it dropped my ranks yesterday. Take a look for yourself. The day I play 4 PSO tourneys is the one I lose points.

Old
It is working........ - Tue Feb 22, 2011, 07:34 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
I cut back on my tourneys again, and it seems to be working. I am gaining ranks by the day, and I know it only gets harder but who knows how much farther I can make it up the ranks this month!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com