Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

DON's are leaving the building...

Old
DON's are leaving the building... - Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Stars's poker room manager made this post on 2+2:

"PokerStars will no longer offer Double or Nothing Sit & Go Tournaments as of February 15th, 2011.

This is not a decision that was made easily as these tournaments have proven to be quite popular with players. However, after thorough evaluation, PokerStars has decided that the format needed improvement.

Newly introduced ‘Fifty50’ Sit & Go tournaments have been deployed to provide an alternative for players who have previously played the Double or Nothings. Fifty50s have many of the same attributes that attracted players to Double or Nothing tournaments:

• Half of the players who enter the tournament receive a payout
• The tournament ends when half of the players remain
• There is no shorthanded play
• They end quickly
• They have low rake

Fifty50s differ from Double or Nothings in their payout structure. Only half of the prize pool is distributed evenly amongst the top half of finishers. The other half is distributed based on chip count, with each chip having an equal value.

This difference means that players always have some incentive to care about the size of their chip stack, whereas in Double or Nothings this was not always the case. This added element makes the Fifty50s a more skilful and, to many, more interesting format.

The value of each chip in Fifty50s also makes situations where some players may softplay each other less attractive than in Double or Nothings. Some forms of poker invite this sort of implicit collusion more than others, as the rewards are greater and costs are smaller for making such plays. The Fifty50 format is an improvement over the Double or Nothing format in this regard as there is always a cost for a player to make a decision that doesn’t maximize the size of their own chip stack.

While it is understood that many players may miss the old Double or Nothing format, improvements and changes to game formats are necessary from time to time. While the loss of a familiar game format can be frustrating or annoying initially, PokerStars is confident that Fifty50s will prove to be a superior tournament format.

Rake
The rake structure is different for Fifty50s than for DoNs. It’s somewhat higher for Turbo Fifty50s than it was for Turbo DoNs at most stakes, but is lower at the $1 level. The rake for normal speed Fifty50s is significantly lower than it was for normal speed DoNs. The Double or Nothings offered rake that was in most cases twice as much for normal speed tournaments than for turbo tournaments. The Fifty50 rake is more in line with other PokerStars Sit & Go tournaments.

PokerStars is currently evaluating all Sit & Go offerings, including rake. The stakes offered and rake for Fifty50s are in line with the changes planned for all Sit & Go Tournaments on PokerStars in the coming months.

If players compare Fifty50 rake on PokerStars to the industry standard for similar Sit & Go tournaments, they will find that the comparison isn’t close; the PokerStars’ rake is much lower."

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:39 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I smell a sticky...

I've played the Fifty50's, and I do like them a bit better than DoN's.

I'm sorry if anyone here just got their favourite grinding grounds cancelled. I am a bit surprised that the improvements were announced more ahead of time than the cuts. I guess when the Fifty50's were added though, I probably should have seen this coming. I feel thickheaded.

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 02:39 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Well I've spent the night reviewing more sites than I care to mention. And the outcome is that most of my rake will now be going to Everest and iPoker.

Nice work guys. A years worth of notes now go down the drain with one weeks notice. Thanks a bundle.

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 02:41 AM
(#4)
Well bang goes one of my favourite bank roll boosters. Was avoiding those Fifty 50's as the format lends them to being very Skill League-esque, seems though this is the kind of Russian Roulette poker PS wants to promote.

As for the DoN's being open for softplay, never saw it happen myself, any opportunity to get full value for your hand was always taken.

I'd rather have seen them scrapped with no alternative rather than replaced with the Fifty 50's.

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 02:49 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Well I've spent the night reviewing more sites than I care to mention. And the outcome is that most of my rake will now be going to Everest and iPoker.

Nice work guys. A years worth of notes now go down the drain with one weeks notice. Thanks a bundle.

All part of their excellent record of consulting with their customers to ensure that we feel appreciated and valued !!!!

Hey look on the bright side they gave us a hand reviewer

DoN's are leaving the building, seriously starting to struggle to find reasons why I shouldn't follow them.

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 05:41 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
I posted somewhere earlier this week the reasons I liked the DoNs better than the Fifty50s. (I should have known they'd be leaving... it's like Walmart, let them know you love a product and damned if they don't quit carrying it! LMAO)

However, since then I've been playing more of the $1.11 50s, and I just won one! I think it's my first win on Stars since I opened my account last month.

We won't focus on the fact that I'm breaking every bankroll management rule their IS, to play these things on my miniscule budget... they're fun, I'm in the top 5 a lot more often than I bust out in the bottom 5, so as long as I can afford them, I'd say the 50s just became my new favorite grinding ground.

My Vpps are going up, slowly but surely. I should easily be able to get my 20 for Feb. And the money's nice, too.

Old
Stars ETC - Thu Feb 10, 2011, 06:07 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
I continually hear players dissing stars Ft PP etc players saying im leaving these sites..feel free to leave if you can't play them and profit move on..next please..many new players are all about quick profits ..poker to them is like the new quick get rich scheme..Good luck..
regards
Kinkykiwi

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 07:33 AM
(#8)
Thanks for the advice Kinky but I don't think Dman or I are disillusioned at not having made our first million within 1 week of signing up its more to do with the natural increase in cynisism that occurs when a business appears not to view you as a customer but merely as a cash cow in the dairy.

A quick scour of the forum will provide you with umpteen issues relating to "customer care" and if you can force the door open on the suggestion box, if it isn't still blocked by unanswered suggestions, it will give you an insight into why people, who had enthusiasm and support for the site, become cynical and disillusioned.

Your "like it or lump it" response is unfortunately indicative of how PS in general is projecting itself. I have completed questionairres relating to PokerStars TV, PokerStars Advertising and others all relating to marketing, never once have I or know of anyone else who has ever been asked for their opinion on issues relating to the site itself.

Maybe rather than all the glossy marketing they would be better focusing on the quality assurance addage that on average a satisfied customer will recommend a product to 3 people whilst a dis-satisfied customer will warn 10 against it.

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:40 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Only 1 problem I have the the 50/50 sng's. There is a $1.11 buy in and only $9.50 is paid back to the top 5. This isn't exactly 50/50...IMO. Pokerstars is taking the other 50 cent as rake also.

$1.11 x 10 = $11.10 buy in
1500 x 10 = 15000 chips in play
$.03 x 15000 = $4.50 returned to top 5
$11.10 - $9.50 = $1.60 Rake

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:17 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post

What about me? How can you possibly consider running out on me at this stage of our relationship? Over EV? This is unacceptable! Get back here right now mister.

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
That's not good to see this. I've used those to get my 20VPP's every month.

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:20 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkykiwi View Post
I continually hear players dissing stars Ft PP etc players saying im leaving these sites..feel free to leave if you can't play them and profit move on..next please..many new players are all about quick profits ..poker to them is like the new quick get rich scheme..Good luck..
regards
Kinkykiwi
Get rich quick on the DON's eh. Always luv a first time poster.

If I were to expand on what I thought of that comment, Kinkykiwi in general or Pokerstars decision, I wouldn't be leaving voluntarily

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:23 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
the double or nothing was easy becouse when you got down to 6 or 7 players everyone froze i would play them and put the last 3 players out most of the time just acting crazy the would freeze and just let you take ther chips untill the got a big hand and i would call them with rags becouse the did not have any chips and suckout I stoped playing them becouse the could not whine in the chat box so it got to be boring the improvement would have been leting the chat run so i could laugh at all them players that i sucked out on when the would type some funny stuff one of the highlights in poker is watching someone throw a fit It just makes the game fun and the here coms the MOD well there goes the laugh some times I have only played 1 fifty fifty I was not in to it I was done playing for the day and ready to stop I might play some soon mabe the will let the chat run LOL

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:25 PM
(#14)
I agree that it does suck to lose these, I really enjoyed knocking them out from time to time. Having said that, there is always method to their madness. I'm sure they have measured the risk / reward of this change and had their elite force of number crunchers working on it. It all comes down to the $$$ baby.

Also, just throwing this out there. They have constant surveys regarding changes on the site ie don's / BoP promos etc and they often offer a fpp reward for completing them. If it is a survey covering something you like, get your butt in there and fill it out... let them know how you feel

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:30 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
I agree that it does suck to lose these, I really enjoyed knocking them out from time to time. Having said that, there is always method to their madness. I'm sure they have measured the risk / reward of this change and had their elite force of number crunchers working on it. It all comes down to the $$$ baby.

Also, just throwing this out there. They have constant surveys regarding changes on the site ie don's / BoP promos etc and they often offer a fpp reward for completing them. If it is a survey covering something you like, get your butt in there and fill it out... let them know how you feel

As for the surveys, never seen one that asks pertinent questions just how wet did their latest advert make me.

Maybe theres on in my inbox and I'm not looking

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 02:55 PM
(#16)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
boo freaking hoo.....if slow playing the double or nothing are all you can do to win something then u shouldent be playing poker....

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 02:58 PM
(#17)
Since: Sep 2010
It's called grinding, not slowplaying.

And not true. If 50% of the field pays out, then they can be a slow but sure, and very low-variance (I assume) way to grind.

+ to the moneys.

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 03:32 PM
(#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlee1984 View Post
boo freaking hoo.....if slow playing the double or nothing are all you can do to win something then u shouldent be playing poker....

Smack Talk gone wrong

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 03:36 PM
(#19)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I used to play the DONS but have since switched over to the 1.40 knockouts... find them similar to the Dons, but a little faster and more fun..the knockout bonus helps stay ahead of the rake..

Ps Bogweed are you really Bear Grylls?

Old
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 04:01 PM
(#20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
I used to play the DONS but have since switched over to the 1.40 knockouts... find them similar to the Dons, but a little faster and more fun..the knockout bonus helps stay ahead of the rake..

Ps Bogweed are you really Bear Grylls?

I've eaten what would make Bear Grylls puke, I'm eyeing Ericlees baby avatar as we speak !!!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com