Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

question from a fairly decent player

Old
Cool
question from a fairly decent player - Thu Feb 10, 2011, 06:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I have a question, maybe someone has experianced it like I have. I have this tendency sometimes when I start doing well in a tourney to get antsy and I get a rushed feeling, like I am on a timer, even when the time bank hasnt started. Is there a name for this, and is there a way to control it? Any advice would be helpful.

Old
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2010
I suggest large quantities of alcohol..... But seriously, it's adrenaline, you just need a minor distraction. Sit out for a hand or two, go get a glass of water and you'll be good to go. Deep breaths will slow your heart rate.

Old
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 02:57 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
I second the suggestion to get something as a distraction... I'm usually listening to my ipod/itunes and have a web browser open checking the forums and other sites so I don't fee like I have to play every hand.

In fact last tournament I found myself short stacked about half-way to the break... Made it to the break with less than 500 in chips. After the break cards warmed up and I started playing more hands aggressively when I had something and quickly doubled up a couple times. Made it to the next break and I was no longer the short stack. Unfortunately after that I got caught on a couple of hands with overcards and went out but not before over 70% of the field had already thinned out.

Old
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 04:04 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
play smooth jazz when you are above chip average and eminem when you are shortstacked...

Old
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 04:35 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjin66 View Post
I have a question, maybe someone has experianced it like I have. I have this tendency sometimes when I start doing well in a tourney to get antsy and I get a rushed feeling, like I am on a timer, even when the time bank hasnt started. Is there a name for this, and is there a way to control it? Any advice would be helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkat View Post
I suggest large quantities of alcohol..... But seriously, it's adrenaline, you just need a minor distraction. Sit out for a hand or two, go get a glass of water and you'll be good to go. Deep breaths will slow your heart rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmwb View Post
play smooth jazz when you are above chip average and eminem when you are shortstacked...
Welcome to the forum y'all!
I think it's called ADHD.
Seriously, take notes on players as a way to pass some time. Follow other's advice here too. Well, most of it.
Stay focused grasshopper. For when you can snatch the chip from my hand, then you are ready.
Maybe you are someone should think about playing 2 games at once to get over the need to click.
Best o' luck!

Old
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 08:32 PM
(#6)
nanonoko
(nanonoko)
Since: Jun 2010
Supernova
It's one of the reasons I prefer to play more than 1 game so that I don't have to keep staring at my cards and dictate the action based on how hot or cold I'm running. Having a small distraction or something to relax you like music is a decent idea too but be careful not be to too distracted where you stop paying attention.

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 05:34 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
thank you all for making me feel welcome, and I have started taking your advice, and already have won 3 of the shootout tourneys using it.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com