Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Pso skill needs must have points!

Old
Pso skill needs must have points! - Fri Feb 11, 2011, 05:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
Players as we all know this is a school and bad students need punishment, bad grades follows a penalty, PSO SKILL needs to bring in a must have points to play next month as in WARM UP, 1525 points to play it, why cannot PSO SKILL have the same system i say 1595 points end of the month will give you a pass, missing a month sure will knock some sense into ones head!

Old
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 09:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I can understand your frustration. I can even agree. Though I do think you have the numbers a bit mixed. As it reads, one can qualify for the monthly warm-up game, but not for the league. Perhaps a better idea is to reduce the league sit-out score to 1450 points or lower. I'm also wondering if increasing the warm-up score to 1550 wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
I can understand your frustration. I can even agree. Though I do think you have the numbers a bit mixed. As it reads, one can qualify for the monthly warm-up game, but not for the league. Perhaps a better idea is to reduce the league sit-out score to 1450 points or lower. I'm also wondering if increasing the warm-up score to 1550 wouldn't be a bad idea.
I am sure with my suggestion 1595 players that have not made it for next month WILL learn something C D trust me it will make em play better wouldn't u if it meant missing next month?

Old
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOingDonks View Post
I am sure with my suggestion 1595 players that have not made it for next month WILL learn something C D trust me it will make em play better wouldn't u if it meant missing next month?
Aren't the ones demanding a minimum score also the same ones that are getting 'donked' out early in PSO events?? Wouldn't they then have a below average score?? Wouldn't they then be complaining for a month that some '@#&%in donk' kept them from a whole month of PSO tourneys??

Im just sayin

Old
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 03:43 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Players as we all know this is a school and bad students need punishment, bad grades follows a penalty, PSO SKILL needs to bring in a must have points to play next month as in WARM UP, 1525 points to play it, why cannot PSO SKILL have the same system i say 1595 points end of the month will give you a pass, missing a month sure will knock some sense into ones head!

Part of learning to play poker is learning to play against the good, the bad and the ugly. Just because they get lucky and take you down once in awhile is no reason to shut them out completely. If you have a bad beat, you should just count it as experience and adjust your play. You don't need to throw them out of the game. Have you ever seen the pros throw someone out of a game just because they didn't like the way they played? I don't think so.

They are not children and they don't need punishment. Let them learn at their own pace. There will always be good and bad players. Stay calm, cool and collected and learn to count to ten.

Old
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 04:03 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiabrenda View Post
Part of learning to play poker is learning to play against the good, the bad and the ugly. Just because they get lucky and take you down once in awhile is no reason to shut them out completely. If you have a bad beat, you should just count it as experience and adjust your play. You don't need to throw them out of the game. Have you ever seen the pros throw someone out of a game just because they didn't like the way they played? I don't think so.

They are not children and they don't need punishment. Let them learn at their own pace. There will always be good and bad players. Stay calm, cool and collected and learn to count to ten.
should be required reading

Old
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 07:44 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Sorry, even if it was set to a score as incredibly low as 1300 points, it will not be implemented because it would make those people that fell below the 1300 point mark to have to wait until the second hand of the tourney to start shoving all-in. This kind of rule would drastically alter the natural course of a PSO event in a positive way and that is not the direction the PSO wants to head. Perhaps if you could offer a suggestion such as starting out with only 1000 chips or making the blind levels only five minutes each or removing the time bank altogether, then maybe your voice will be heard around here. Best of luck this month!

Old
PSO changes - Sat Feb 12, 2011, 12:01 AM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2010
Changing the scoring system so "bad players" cant play if their core drops below a certain level is wrong. I can only play 1 round per night 3 or 4 nights a week and if I hit a bad beat or run cold I should not be allowed to improve my game? Also removing the time clock is wrong as I like to replay the hand in my head before I call an all in. This is a fun leaque and yes there will be donks - you need to learn to play around them or note them so you know when you have the nuts they will try and "out-donk" you, call them on it. Law of averages eventually they will lose.
Leave it as it is enjoy the free money if you make it in the top group and if you dont maybe you need to improve your game, I know I am learning every game I play and watch different styles plus how aggressive or or how tight I need to adjust my game.
cheers the Hamster

Old
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 12:24 PM
(#9)
Since: Dec 2010
WhiteStar
Quote:
As the old saying goes, "some people never learn."

Those who are learning and slowly improving should be able to continue to play so that they can continue to learn. Those who are serial shove monkeys have a different motivation altogether and will probably never learn, nor do they have any interest in doing so. If you make them sit out a month, they'll simply find another venue in which to donk it up for the month, then a month later, they'll be back, doing the same old things.

I agree with those who have said that you have to learn to play against all styles. I laid down AKo last night at a table with 3 shove monkeys on it. Two K's hit the flop and I would've won the hand, but of course, I had no way of knowing that beforehand and I didn't feel like getting knocked out that early. I've had pocket A's cracked by 95s. Mathematically, 95s is a long shot against pocket A's, but that doesn't mean that I should expect my A's to be a guarantee. There is, after all, a reason that it is called gambling. If there were any hands guaranteed to win, then poker would be easy - only play those hands that are guaranteed to win. Part of what makes poker fun, challenging and exciting is that there are no guarantees.

I think people have the idea that this is supposed to be an advanced poker school. Nowhere in anything I've read has Pokerstars made that claim. The nature of the size of the field is such that early on you have to beat the unskilled players, and as the tournament progresses, the skill level necessary to succeed also progresses. Do you expect in any endeavor that you should be competing only against the top 20% without first being able to beat the bottom 80%?

In the NFL, they say that the good teams win the games they're expected to win. If you're that good of a poker player, you're supposed to be able to outfox a donk. Variance happens, bad beats happen. Why don't you play 83o? Because the odds say your chances of winning are not very high. But that doesn't mean that 83o can't win once in a while. The reason you'd rather play AKs than 83o is because you are taking calculated risks and we'd all rather take that calculated risk when the odds are in our favor. But every move you make in poker, no matter how skillful, comes with risk. If you can't accept the fact that risk is a part of the game, then maybe you shouldn't be gambling.

Don't forget, no matter what your skill level is, there's someone out there who is better, and they too might think that you aren't skilled enough to be playing in the same league as them.

Old
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 07:47 PM
(#10)
hey dash

ever heard of playoff's?

Old
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
I was actually looking at past months and think a viable option would be that new members could get involved in that months tournaments but anyone who was below the median points would have to set a month out. For instance using last months results that would mean anyone below 7644 on the leaderboard wouldn't have been eligible to play this month but could once again in March.

And to the naysayers, if what I proposed were enacted I'd actually be sitting out this month after the lousy showing for the last 2/3rds of January. Yes, I'd have been pissed about it but speaking for myself it would have driven me to do better once I could play again.

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 04:02 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz864 View Post
Aren't the ones demanding a minimum score also the same ones that are getting 'donked' out early in PSO events?? Wouldn't they then have a below average score?? Wouldn't they then be complaining for a month that some '@#&%in donk' kept them from a whole month of PSO tourneys??

Im just sayin
No TAZZ at least u wont be playing u donk, and i for sure would never get below 1600 pts moron...just saying ur a donk TAZZ lol

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:07 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
No TAZZ at least u wont be playing u donk, and i for sure would never get below 1600 pts moron...just saying ur a donk TAZZ lol
--But you're not personalizing this 'constructive advice,' right??

I'm just sayin'

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 08:10 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
--But you're not personalizing this 'constructive advice,' right??

I'm just sayin'
I wouldn't call that advice. Advice is something you might listen to and follow. You play around 150 PSO tourneys every month and don't seem to see any payout at the end of the month. If you are at my table, I would view you exactly the same as I view Tencat, except he has a better avatar. And a better attitude. Stop trolling the forums to start trouble in every other thread and try to play some solid poker for a month. You might see it is a better way to spend your time.
I'm just sayin'

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 08:21 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguyjim View Post
I wouldn't call that advice. Advice is something you might listen to and follow. You play around 150 PSO tourneys every month and don't seem to see any payout at the end of the month. If you are at my table, I would view you exactly the same as I view Tencat, except he has a better avatar. And a better attitude. Stop trolling the forums to start trouble in every other thread and try to play some solid poker for a month. You might see it is a better way to spend your time.
I'm just sayin'
Excuse me, but who's being judgy and trying to start trouble?? And who's trolling in things, not minding their own beeswax??(Hint: it looks like you...)

Im just sayin...

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 09:28 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Excuse me, but who's being judgy and trying to start trouble?? And who's trolling in things, not minding their own beeswax??(Hint: it looks like you...)

Im just sayin...
Nice job avoiding the facts.I am not judging, just looking at the facts. Maybe you should trying looking at your stats instead of how people spell. And it is my business and everybody else's business because noone can read a thread in these forums without seeing some remark from you making a rude comment about the person who posted. You never offer anything remotely helpful, aside from the occasional spelling help. And that is great! Everybody knows that you can spell! Sadly, everybody also can look up your stats. So go ahead, side step the facts. I guess I wouldn't want to discuss my stats either if I were you.

PS- Anyone on here that knows me at all, knows I do not make a habit of starting trouble with other members. That speaks volumes as to how annoying you are. And don't think it is such a negative thing to be a donkey Tazz. Embrace what you are.
I'm just sayin'

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 09:52 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Nice job avoiding the facts.I am not judging, just looking at the facts. Maybe you should trying looking at your stats instead of how people spell. And it is my business and everybody else's business because noone can read a thread in these forums without seeing some remark from you making a rude comment about the person who posted. You never offer anything remotely helpful, aside from the occasional spelling help. And that is great! Everybody knows that you can spell! Sadly, everybody also can look up your stats. So go ahead, side step the facts. I guess I wouldn't want to discuss my stats either if I were you.

PS- Anyone on here that knows me at all, knows I do not make a habit of starting trouble with other members. That speaks volumes as to how annoying you are. And don't think it is such a negative thing to be a donkey Tazz. Embrace what you are.
I'm just sayin'
People who classify benign comments as 'rude' are, by definition judgy. Anyone that approaches this forum with an unbiased mind can see that you are a trouble-maker AND you are being judgy. (BTW, if you really think that I post nothing useful or constructive, you either don't pay very good attention or read the wrong threads--) The facts, which *I* stated and you have avoided in your judgy diatribe, are that the same people that demand a minimum score to 'weed out' the donks are the ones who will find themselves with the short straw as a result of those very same donks. Either one subscribes to the law of averages and can handle this type of play, in which case why change things; or it IS a big problem and one CANNOT handle that kind of play--in which case one will be on the outside looking in.

I'm just saying

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:28 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Quote:
People who classify benign comments as 'rude' are, by definition judgy. Anyone that approaches this forum with an unbiased mind can see that you are a trouble-maker AND you are being judgy. (BTW, if you really think that I post nothing useful or constructive, you either don't pay very good attention or read the wrong threads--) The facts, which *I* stated and you have avoided in your judgy diatribe, are that the same people that demand a minimum score to 'weed out' the donks are the ones who will find themselves with the short straw as a result of those very same donks. Either one subscribes to the law of averages and can handle this type of play, in which case why change things; or it IS a big problem and one CANNOT handle that kind of play--in which case one will be on the outside looking in.

I'm just saying
Actually, I advocate having a minimum score for people. I dodge the shove monkeys enough to make it in the money every month so I would not be a victim of being short strawed. This issue is not to make it easier to make it into a monthly payout. If some of the worst players are weeded out it would actually become harder to chip up with less ATMs around. The point would be to make the worst players who are not making an ounce of effort to improve their play be punished. That would be fair. The cutoff could be 1300 points. Anyone who has a score under 1300 is not trying to improve their play. If they say they are then they are lying to you and themselves. But that is neither here nor there as no such change would ever take place.

And if you insist on keeping on the "judgy" thing then fine. I judge based on evidence. And the facts are in. Go to the leaderboard page and search for Tazz864. Now scroll through a month of your choosing. The facts are there. And you have over 800 posts on the forums. Please enlighten me on some of the helpful or inciteful posts you have made in regards to poker. And if KOingdonks, myself, or anybody else calls you a donkey, does that make us "judgy"? Maybe. Does it make us truthful? Definitely.

And if you do not like being called a donkey then the solution is easy! Stop playing like one!
I'm just sayin'

Old
Arrow
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 11:21 PM
(#19)
Since: Dec 2010
WhiteStar
Read more: get rid of the 10 prize pool for pso tournys! - Page 4 - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz1Du2rBsvd

My input from previous thread titled " get rid of the 10 prize pool for pso tournys! "

As I see it the problem is not the prize pool, it is the sysytem that allows play that goes against what the On-line school promotes
Is it possible to create a scoring system that weeds out tyhe crazy All inners from those that have shown a steady improvement.
For example, a player playing in an average field of 1250 finishes below 50 % of the field
625 to1250 , if this happens in 50% of the games played in a week by that player........
they would lose the use of their PSO ticket for 7-5 days.
This would force players to be a lot more disciplined in their play.

It's not the $10 that is the problem, its allowing the kind of play that is not in line with the lessons learned on PSO in the firstplace.
ee is another idea, players placing at end of month from 7501 to 16000 would need to retake PSO course and testing again and there would be a 1 week delay from use of the tourney tkt in a Skill league tourney.

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 11:24 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Actually, I advocate having a minimum score for people. I dodge the shove monkeys enough to make it in the money every month so I would not be a victim of being short strawed. This issue is not to make it easier to make it into a monthly payout. If some of the worst players are weeded out it would actually become harder to chip up with less ATMs around. The point would be to make the worst players who are not making an ounce of effort to improve their play be punished. That would be fair. The cutoff could be 1300 points. Anyone who has a score under 1300 is not trying to improve their play. If they say they are then they are lying to you and themselves. But that is neither here nor there as no such change would ever take place.
'
If this was a league of seasoned poker players, I would say you are absolutely right. However, this is a school--people learn at their own pace.
Also, isn't playing for a high score or a payout results-oriented thinking? I thought that was not how one should set one's goals. When I started playing at PSO, I saw the league games much like the NFL pre-season. How many teams are overly concerned with the final score in pre-season. Of course one wants to win every time someone turns the scoreboard on, but any coach worth his salt will tell you that the most important thing in preseason is 'situational awareness;' how a particular player, or group of players, react in a certain situation. Likewise, I use a variety of different styles within a league game. I find which work at which times. If you're using your results in a poker school league game to determine how much you're learning, I'd say--without being personally judgy--that that is incorporating 'results-oriented' thinking, which cannot improve your game...
Great idea!! Look up Tazz864 on the Leader board... Look up his July, 2010 score...not very good, huh?? 6500 out of 6700 PSOers. Now look up January, 2011...1500 out of 15,000 PSOers. From the bottom 3% to the top 10%. That's a 87% improvement. I doubt your game or koingDONK's game shows anything remotely close to that.

I'm just saying...

Last edited by tazz864; Sun Feb 13, 2011 at 11:27 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com