Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Was I wrong to throw this hand away?

Old
Was I wrong to throw this hand away? - Sun Feb 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
I faced the following hand late in the PSO tourney and I mucked it pre-flop but as I was facing the all-in bet from the UTG player. I had just been moved to the table and had only seen a handful of hands played when this hand came down. As it played out to the showdown neither player in it had their hands improved while mine would have crushed both hands.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 200/400 Blinds 50 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

UTG (t1647)
UTG+1 (t5401)
MP1 (t640)
MP2 (t2730)
MP3 (t5170)
CO (t3135)
Button (t18259)
Hero (SB) (t9265)
BB (t4990)

Hero's M: 8.82

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4, 7
UTG bets t1597 (All-In), 7 folds, BB calls t1197

Flop: (t3844) 7, 3, Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t3844) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t3844) 10 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t3844

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Considering you were new to the table and UTG went all in, with that hand I feel it's reasonable to throw it away.

As if they had a high pair, odds aren't great for relying on flush or straight to see you through, pre-flop as that is an average hand. (despite the post flop events, and flush turning up on river)

After seeing the flop you'd obviously have wanted to kick yourself, but, that happens an awful lot really in this game. Seeing as it's not that far into the event, and you already have an alright amount of chips you can afford to play a little slow.

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Don't be results oriented.

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:52 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
In this particular case the UTG player had a unsuited connectors that never connected with the board and ended up playing high card and losing to medium pocket pair that called from BB that still didn't connect with the board to improve. The button was the only chip stack I was legitimately worried about busting me out and contemplated calling or pushing when he folded.

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 05:25 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
There is a point when you can call all-in shoves with any two cards. Like, for example, when the guy who shoved has 4BB left, and you have 127BB. A lot of people would call that acceptable. This situation is similar because the villain does have 4BB, and you do have any two cards. But there's enough risk to you to make a call with a bad hand questionable.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com