Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Set Mining [2 Hands]

Old
Set Mining [2 Hands] - Sun Feb 13, 2011, 09:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
These two hands are from a knockout tourney that I just spent five hours on. Luckily I won it. Kind of makes up for my flzzle in the 1/4 Million.

I'd love to get into the heads-up play, because it was the most frustrating heads-up match I've played (took almost an hour), but these two hands are from an earlier table. I lucked out and successfully set mined twice in three hands, which is what propelled me to big stack status in this tourney. I'm posting them to ask opinions on whether or not I played them well, and whether or not I can tighten up my set mines. I think I did well, but I often post hands and am surprised by key points I missed. Just wondering if there are any here.

Unfortunately, I can't give any real reads on my opponents because I don't remember, although they were talking a lot in Spanish about various narcotics. I know that I was playing very few hands and picking my spots well. The stats box said that I saw only 9% of flops outside the blinds. I think I was playing 10%-15% of hands, and I was raising about half of them preflop. I threw in an occasional 3bet with air, just to steal some chips preflop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.4 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds 25 Ante (7 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO (t3977)
Button (t15635)
SB (t3993)
Panicky (BB) (t7200)
UTG (t3720)
MP1 (t5314)
MP2 (t4965)

Panicky's M: 15.16

Preflop: Panicky is BB with 5, 5
1 fold, MP1 calls t200, MP2 calls t200, CO calls t200, 1 fold, SB calls t100, Panicky checks

Flop: (t1175) 6, 5, 2 (5 players)
SB checks, Panicky bets t600, 1 fold, MP2 calls t600, 2 folds

Turn: (t2375) 3 (2 players)
Panicky checks, MP2 checks

River: (t2375) 2 (2 players)
Panicky bets t1600, MP2 raises to t4140 (All-In), Panicky calls t2540

Total pot: t10655

Results:
Panicky had 5, 5 (full house, fives over twos).
MP2 had 2, A (three of a kind, twos).
Outcome: Panicky won t10655

I fold in the small blind next hand, then...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.4 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds 25 Ante (7 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (t4177)
MP1 (t15585)
MP2 (t4719)
CO (t3743)
Panicky (Button) (t12765)
SB (t3470)
BB (t5064)

Panicky's M: 26.87

Preflop: Panicky is Button with 7, 7
UTG calls t200, 2 folds, CO calls t200, Panicky calls t200, 1 fold, BB checks

Flop: (t1075) J, 7, 2 (4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Panicky bets t800, 1 fold, UTG calls t800, 1 fold

Turn: (t2675) A (2 players)
UTG checks, Panicky bets t1600, UTG calls t1600

River: (t5875) 3 (2 players)
UTG checks, Panicky bets t2000, UTG calls t1552 (All-In)

Total pot: t8979

Results:
Panicky had 7, 7 (three of a kind, sevens).
UTG had A, 6 (one pair, Aces).
Outcome: Panicky won t8979

Thanks guys! If you have any questions about my thought process, just post and I'll answer.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Sun Feb 13, 2011 at 10:00 PM..

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Love the check in hand 1. Then perfect. Hand 2, I may have jammed it post turn to try and prevent flush draw. However, it worked and you got paid. Well done in both hands.

JT

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
(#3)
Thanks. I thought the check was pretty safe on hand 1, since there wasn't a whole lot to be afraid of. Figured I might chase the guy away if I barreled twice, and I might get weaker to call on the river. I was surprised that I got that much weaker to jam, though. (edit: nm, the guy had trips)

On the second hand, I just wanted to price the guy out on both streets. The intent was so that my value bet on the river wouldn't really pay the guy off if he was drawing. I was trying to avoid a repeat of the WTF? I got from JDean in a prior post of mine. I was also guessing that since a flush draw wasn't really likely (edit#2: it was likely, but not guaranteed. I was planning to value bet regardless. Not sure if that's bad.), I was probably betting for value even if a third club came, and if he had a flush, nh. Jamming would have made perfect sense, though.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Sun Feb 13, 2011 at 10:29 PM..

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:39 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Extremely well played, both hands.

Both flops you see some "threat" on the board (poss. STR in hand #1, and Flush draw in Hand #2), and in both cases you make what I think is a pretty solid assessment of your "threat level", and size your LEAD BET accordinly...

Hand #1, you lead bet a tad over half pot. PERFECT.

If someone is in this pot for a Straight, this protects you a bit from losing a ton, but it is nicely sized to make hands like A3/A4 THINK they are getting a nice price to draw. Fact is, unless someone is on a small over pair, or 2 pr hand (or a BETTER set), this flop probabl hasn;t connected "worse" than you. That argues for a smaller lead to deny odds for any raggy draw, and to get the value you want in there.

Hand #2, you led bet right around 3/4ths the pot. There are fewer ACTUAL "threats" on the 2nd flop, but there is more potential hands that CALL this larger bet. This should actually turn on the "green light" for a LARGER bet on this flop. Tons of people fall in LOVE with their flush draws, and also THINK only a pot bet "denies" them odds...WRONG.

Nicely done pre-flop.

Hand #1: Great oop check to control the pot. Sure, you COULD have fired again, but if he were on a draw that connected he isn't folding, and if he isn't he probably isn't paying you. No sense giving him a shot to pressure raise you here...

Your check works perfectly when the riv pairs the board. Your riv bet now looks a lot like a busted draw, and you get the guy who tries to "take you off" the hand. Too bad his cheese improved, but not enough!

Hand #2: Awesome recognition of the value of your hand, and the fact that the A may have IMPROVED a flush draw to a 2nd best hand. Barrelling every street here is great imho, as if he DID have the A hi flush draw, he now has every reason to call. If stayed for running clubs, he will lose his chips back to you anyway, so the club club turn and riv is pretty moot...

All I can say is: Well done.

FYI...
My opinion:
Jamming the turn with a big bet is entirely contrary to what you should do. The Villian, if he is on a draw, has a bit under a 20% chance to hit. I love your turn bet size in Hand #2, as it got value in excess of the odds denial, and also should have signalled to him you aren't folding the riv. HE shoulda shoved you on the turn TBH, and you shoulda called.

Last edited by JDean; Sun Feb 13, 2011 at 10:44 PM..

Old
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:59 PM
(#5)
Thanks a lot, J. You might give me a bit too much credit for the #2 hand though, since I didn't recognize the possible (and very real, in this specific case) value of the A to my opponent. My ranging still needs work. I hadn't given specific consideration to suited Ax hands. I definitely need to pay more attention to ranging my opponents on every street to see with more specificity where I'm at.

In response to above edit:

So, if I had jammed the turn, it would have been a minor WTF?

Old
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 03:07 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Thanks a lot, J. You might give me a bit too much credit for the #2 hand though, since I didn't recognize the possible (and very real, in this specific case) value of the A to my opponent. My ranging still needs work. I hadn't given specific consideration to suited Ax hands. I definitely need to pay more attention to ranging my opponents on every street to see with more specificity where I'm at.

In response to above edit:

So, if I had jammed the turn, it would have been a minor WTF?
There are "big" mistakes, and "small" mistakes in a poker hand.

A BIG mistake is jamming a pot when the only thing that can call you is a hand that has you crushed.

A SMALL mistake would be denying yourself additional value potential by way of giving your opponent "wiggle room" to fold.

With just a gut shot and bottom pair, it is quite likely your opponent folds if you put him in on the turn.

Seriously though...

The fact he called off about half his remaining chips (without over shoving you on the turn) means he is probably VERY weak. His straight draw was useless too him, as filling it would have counterfeitted him on the board anyway (by putting a 6 hi STR on the board).

Versus someone with a leak this bad in regards to stack management, you MIGHT have gotten a call with a turn shove. But on the other hand, it may have awoken him to the "loss" of his straight draw outs when it means his remaining tourney "life", and he might have folded.

As it worked out, your bet IS getting called when he improves to 3 of a kind anyway, but it was aqll but ASSURED by not putting him in tat you get the call you want even if that deuce does not pop...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com