Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

My first sunday million

Old
My first sunday million - Mon Feb 14, 2011, 04:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
OK, so I played my first Sunday Million (won the ticket at the WBCOOP) and the terrible one – I bearly lasted 45 minutes. But, to tell you the truth, my game wasn't all that terrible. The good news is, I got to play at the same table as Marcel Luske and I got knocked out by Marcel Luske!

Anyway, I'm gonna show you the hands I played and PLEASE let me know what you think – what were my mistakes (obviosly there were plenty of them, so I'd be grateful for some feedback).

So here are the hands my stack was little over 10,000 - MP minbet and MP2 called (both played fairly lose at that point). I raised the pot and MP just called, everyone else folded – I had KQs and was on the cut off. P.S. I hoped everyone would fold and I collect some dead money. The flop was K and two low cards all hearts. Now I made a c bet little over ½ of the pot. MP just called. The turn was a blank (certainly no heart). MP checked and i did too. River was also low card, not a heart – there was no strait potential but a flush draw. MP made a bet (1/2 pot). I called and as it tourns out, he was slowplaying KK. My stack was 7,700+. Obvously a bad hit.
I know I could have folded this hand preflop, but with minraise and the call and the pot of 600 chips I tried to take the shot at the potential dead money in the pot. As it turns out it cost me dearly.

Another hand I took a bad hit was a JTs (diamonds) with four callers of another minbet – agian I was in late position (not the button, but after the flop I was the last to act).
The flop was Ad 7d 9h. Flush draw and the gutshot strait draw for me. Everyone just checked and so did I. The turn was another diamond. MP, one to act before me made a ½ pot size bet and I raised. He called, everyone else folded. The river was a blank and the MP just checked. With A on the board I had a J high flush and the only hand that could beat me were Q and K high flush. I bet the pot size and MP called with a Q high flush.
If I was raised here probably would have called to be honest as I thought my JT flush was good enogh to take down the pot. Although my friends who were with me during the game suggested I should just check, but I was a bit steaming from the previous hand I lost and made, well, obviously, a donk bet on the river. Again, it was perfectly OK at this stage of the tournament to just fold preflop, but I still feel calling with JTs considering the pot size seemed legitimate. The river bet, however was not (on microstakes where I played, this was a winning hand more often than not, but at this level I just lack the experience to realize the turn bet by MP should have been a warning sign of a bigger flush, or at least a flush).

Last hand, that cost me my torunament life was one where I had 64o and I was a BB. Someone (it was Marcel Luske from the UTG) minraised and with four callers i called half the bet.
The flop was K94 with two diamonds (those crazy diamonds) and I checked, ready to fold to anyones bet. My stack was little over 4400 at this point. But it was checked all the way and the turn was 6 (no diamon). With no strait or flush my only fear was someone having a set or bigger two pairs so I decided to bet the pot, which left me with little over 3000 chips. Only Luske made a call and the river was a third diamond. Luske bet what was basically all in for me and after some thinking and the fact that pot was bigger than my stack I felt commited so I pushed all in. Luske called with A high flush – absolute nuts. I was out.
When I made a turn bet I had a best hand – and for betting that particular time I had no regrets, but I feel I should have just pushed (or checked and hoped someone bets to raise all in) since I was pretty much pot commited after that. With the flush draw on the turn I'm pretty sure Luske would had to fold, cause he would have risked most of his chips too and had no pot odds to call. This way, with implied odds, I take it, he had justified reason to call my turn bet – althoug only diamond would save him (he didnt even have a pair). Again this was an early stage of the tournamnet and I didn't even have to be involved at all preflop (althogh I was getting great odds to call).

It's a bitter feeling that I lost hands maybe I shouldn't have been involved in the first place.

After that, a bit on tilt –with the early exit and my friends with me I played a couple of more tournaments which were little over my bankroll, made a total loss of 15$, but earlier that day made around 12$ in cash game, so it wasn't all that terrible – as far as my bankroll is concerned.
Anyway - PLEASE, feel free to comment, would like to aviod SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAYS like these in the future – I have one SM ticket left and I'll use it next week again!

Last edited by Byxl; Mon Feb 14, 2011 at 05:30 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 05:16 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Nice post. IMO, getting knocked out by Luske would be worth the buy-in by itself. I'd be reviewing those hand histories for awhile, and with particular attention to his play.

Sometimes we do badly in tourneys. I was out of the 1/4 Million earlier in less than an hour, and at one point I had a pretty large stack. I'm just going to keep practicing and try again next week. Good luck to you in your next one!

Old
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 10:38 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2010
the first 2 were just unfortunate and the jack high Dia flush one no one is ever gonna fold there.. u didnt make mistakes 1st 2.. but the last one i know it s very risky when u got 2 low pairs because u often can lose to a better 2 pair, (ace rag used to kill me a lot vs my bb 2 PAIR).. with that low stack after hitting 2 pair on the TURN i d of made a hefty bet to get him out because of those diamonds, once he called and hit and considering u were nearly out and perhaps frustrated its tough to fold at the end.. gl next one

Last edited by andrewj50050; Mon Feb 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
With 3k left after 45 minutes with a fifteen minute clock (as I understand it) I think you had plenty of time to play yourself out of the hole.

Hope you enjoyed the experience. I hope to play one this year some time. Maybe my birthday.

Good luck

Old
Good experiences, byxl - Mon Feb 14, 2011, 08:29 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
I can't blame you on the first hand. Hard to fold KQ with a K on the board and nothing else. The last thing you would expect in that instance is for somebody else to have the other two Ks.

As for J-10, I no longer play that. I just don't see what the allure is any more.

For the last hand, I would have done the same thing. He was chasing a flush and got lucky. Your stack probably wasn't large enough to do him significant damage if he lost, so he took a shot.

Good luck next Sunday. I hope I'll be able to join you. I had to miss this past one because I was taking the missus out for an early Valentine's dinner.

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 04:01 AM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2010
Can't say that I've enjoyed it that much, due to an early exit. For 45 minutes of play I was involved in 4 hands total.
JT - I don't play that either, usually, but with so many players involved It was kind inviting to take part (it cost 200 chips for a pot of 900- i think) - well it eventually cost me much more. Next Sunday I play, I'll be playing premium hands for the first couple of hours. When I get to the last 3000 (if I get) I'm playing the game I usually play. I just don't want an early exit - I'll settle for anything else. 300$ is nice for my bankroll, but I'll take a shot at lifestyle changing money ! Same goes for the SCOOP this May.

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 12:32 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepack View Post
I can't blame you on the first hand. Hard to fold KQ with a K on the board and nothing else. The last thing you would expect in that instance is for somebody else to have the other two Ks.

As for J-10, I no longer play that. I just don't see what the allure is any more.

For the last hand, I would have done the same thing. He was chasing a flush and got lucky. Your stack probably wasn't large enough to do him significant damage if he lost, so he took a shot.

Good luck next Sunday. I hope I'll be able to join you. I had to miss this past one because I was taking the missus out for an early Valentine's dinner.

J10 suited in position is a premium hand.
every straight u hit when ur holding and using the j10 hits the nut straight

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com