Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

new scoring system ( anaylisis comments ? ) n

Old
new scoring system ( anaylisis comments ? ) n - Tue Feb 15, 2011, 03:32 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2010
BronzeStar
Cote broke 1900 points today, mid-month , I guess presbonehead made another ill fated prediction when he said the 1900's would be gone.

So how do you like the new 10% ITM.

I like it, why give all those points away like they used to do to people who could get 5000 - 7000 or so chips and stall and fold to itm , now one must play and get around 10,000 - 13,000 chips to itm.

I know i have had to play better poker than i did before the change.

Before on the first hand you could go all in and if four people called you and you won you could sit out and itm, now you cannot do that. how can that be bad? unless you suck at anything other than mincashing.

I have had to totally rework my pso game plan and it has taken me a few weeks to get it together, i had the last system pegged.

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 04:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
lol, going all-in on the first hand was part of your strategy?

Looks like you're right, though. If I recall, things started to toughen up around the 15% mark when the old system was in place. If you wanted to break 10%, you had to have a really big stack, or you'd have to play really, really good.

Lucks to all in making the money this month! I'm just doing the multi-table sit&go's, still trying to learn how to compete with you all.

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 04:45 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2010
i've won a pso with the new scoring system
thats all i can say really....

but yes i agree the pso are making the league tougher which is a good thing as those top guys have to work hard to get the top prizes

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 06:16 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Bowie View Post
Cote broke 1900 points today, mid-month , I guess presbonehead made another ill fated prediction when he said the 1900's would be gone.

I like it, why give all those points away like they used to do to people who could get 5000 - 7000 or so chips and stall and fold to itm , now one must play and get around 10,000 - 13,000 chips to itm.

Before on the first hand you could go all in and if four people called you and you won you could sit out and itm, now you cannot do that. how can that be bad? unless you suck at anything other than mincashing.

I have had to totally rework my pso game plan and it has taken me a few weeks to get it together, i had the last system pegged.
First off, Cote is a machine. I don't know how he can do what he does. He is head and shoulders above the rest of the league IMO.
Second, I like the new system. It is way harder to place in the money so I think that helps negate volume a little bit. Volume can still help you, especially in the early part of the month, but now it is now more important to do well in the ones you play. It gives those who cannot play in 4 or more pages of PSO a chance to compete.
Best of luck to everyone.

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 06:42 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
i like it.makes me play better.and cote is the man.good luck to all

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 08:57 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Bowie View Post

The change has had no impact on me, as far as my play goes, only thing is like u stated its harder to get ITM/fullPoints, so i am playing like i did before changes and hope my solid hands that i do play hold up vs the bad play. GL and see ya at the tables!

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 12:11 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
beginning of the month when i found out about the changes, i looked at my previous month, and i barely had any itms that werent in the top 10%.
so i figured i would just bring the same approach. but it hasnt worked out well so far, since ive played pretty poorly this month

Old
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 01:12 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I already wrote something up, on the sticky thread in the League Forum.

Cyclist has charted score distribution based on the new 10%...

NOTHING has essentially changed.

All the move to 10% ITM does is MARGINALLY effect the Score-Per-Pay-Levels needed to make each pay out spot.

Consider...

Most RANKED players have already learned that "going for cashes" is not the way to score "big" in the PSO league. The true way to make points in the PSO league is to AVOID NEGATIVES first, then make ANY small amount of positive points.

Per Cyclist's research, it is no more difficult to make the plus points transition this month, than it is last month. This means a strict "ladder climbing" strategy is as likely this month to net you score increase as is it was last month.

The major difference is the difficulty in reaching ITM...

So...

1) For "ladder climbers", a higher ITM point has little negatie effect. They will tend to see fewer cashes, far fewer negative scores overall, and make their points with SMALL point gains.

2) The riskier strategies, "going for cashes" to accumulate points, will not be nearly as effective. It will be HARDER to make points via cashes, and there is no additional "point benefit" to off-set the additional chip accumulation risk needed to still cash frequently. You WILL hit you plateau even harder...

So I expect to see the overall score per pay level to FALL about 10% or so of the DIFFERENCE between pay levels (for explaintation, see scoring analysis thread in League Forum). This means the "par score" for a given pay spot will probably fall between like 4 to 10 pts, depending on level...

NOT "a total elimination of 1900's" by a long shot.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com