Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Serious players in the warmup?

Old
Serious players in the warmup? - Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
this is my first post, just one question. Im losing my enthusiasm for the regular daily PSO tourneys and would like to know if the warmup is taken more seriously by the entrants. I mean will I still get called by 3 or 4 donks with my AA or KK because I would prefer to not waste my time if this is so ?

Old
Welcome - Wed Feb 16, 2011, 03:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
I'm afraid you find those shove monkeys everywhere - worse than dandelions lol. Generally, you tend to get more serious players in the games with an entry fee, although the first little while can be hairy.

You just have to get past the first hour and play tightens up in most cases. Welcome to the forum, there's lots of helpful people here and tons of info.

Good luck!!

Old
Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:45 PM
(#3)
Thanks joy7108, it just amazes me how many people can pass the core quiz and then play completely contrary to what they were taught in the lessons. I would hate to have to sit out the first hour of every tournament or time down the clock but if this is what it takes....... see you all on the leaderboard and gl

Old
Wed Feb 16, 2011, 07:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster2 View Post
this is my first post, just one question. Im losing my enthusiasm for the regular daily PSO tourneys and would like to know if the warmup is taken more seriously by the entrants.
I know I speak for a number of people when I say, NO.

Those that shove relentlessly in the league don't know how to play any differently. And a fair number of the more "serious" players use them as their "revenge" game and quite happily shove back light. So if anything, I would say the standard is probably worse.

Old
Wed Feb 16, 2011, 07:21 PM
(#5)
Thanks for the heads up Darkman, i guess I will just have to adjust my play. great promotions tho, the free sng's ticks were a great way to build my roll, c ya's around

Old
Thu Feb 17, 2011, 02:45 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Actually early in the warmups, you are more likely to get called by only 1 or perhaps 2 donks as opposed to 1/2 the table like the PSO.
The fields are considerably smaller than the league games and once play settles in, there is some fairly solid poker played, particularly in the final 4 or 5 tables.

Shovers are a part of poker and are found at nearly every buy in level.
The internet allows many different economic groups to compete together.
Take a $5 buy in tournament, for example.
While to 1 person at the table that $5 entry represents a substantial investment, to the person seated next to them, that $5 is less than they spend on a cup of coffee in the morning and means nothing.

Yes shovers are more frequent in the PSO, but just remember they are still found at virtually every level of the game so an effort should be made to learn how to recognize and deal with them.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 03:58 PM
(#7)
Well I'm happy to report that I didnt run into any donks at all in this weeks warmup. right from the very first table everyone played suprisingly tight which made for a lot of fun. I had to buy in because im new but it was well worth it. Came in 7th and the final table featured some very good poker players. I was short stacked and well.... you know. good luck in the sunday million Brad wicker, Ruiten7, and superbald.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 04:28 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
this is my first post, just one question. Im losing my enthusiasm for the regular daily PSO tourneys and would like to know if the warmup is taken more seriously by the entrants. I mean will I still get called by 3 or 4 donks with my AA or KK because I would prefer to not waste my time if this is so ?
With the field much greater than in months past. These tourneys are much worse. Why wade thru a field of 4 or 5 hundo for 6 to get tickets? Jam it up and move on.

GLA
JT

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 04:33 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
If my experience is any measure, I would call the warm-up games a step up in quality from the regular league games. Yes, the early rounds still have the maniacs. They do tend to fall out faster as players in these games tend to have better fundamentals. That said, exercise the greatest care during the last week of the month. Players who will not qualify the following month act like spoiled children and will shove just to ruin everyone else's game or chances at the prize.

I think I would quickly tire of the league if this wasn't offered. I just wish they upped the score from 1525 to 1600 points. It would make it even more competative. Just my opinion.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 04:53 PM
(#10)
Ya, I found out the hard way that you needed 1525 points in a mth to qualify for the next mth's warm up sat tickets. as you can see I played the last tournament of the mth in january and fell short without realizing what I had done untill it was too late. oh well, lesson learned

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 08:36 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Well I'm happy to report that I didnt run into any donks at all in this weeks warmup. right from the very first table everyone played suprisingly tight which made for a lot of fun. I had to buy in because im new but it was well worth it. Came in 7th and the final table featured some very good poker players. I was short stacked and well.... you know. good luck in the sunday million Brad wicker, Ruiten7, and superbald.
I think we were talking about two different beasts. Yes, you'll find the play of a far better quality in the weekly final because there's a substantial prize awaiting. But it was the $20 FR's that I was referring to.

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 01:40 PM
(#12)
Yes your right Darkman, I was refering to the warmup final. But its good to know what to expect in the satelites to the final. so thanks on the heads up on what to expect in those "lessor beasts" lol.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com