Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Bad beat or run good?

Old
Bad beat or run good? - Fri Feb 18, 2011, 12:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
A friend of mine I discuss hands with shared this hand with me. He was on the receiving end of a really massive run good as you will see.

This was really brutal for the villain. But it reminds of a good point... for every player's bad beat, another play received a run good. And, half the junk that gets posted in the bad beat forum isn't even truly a bad beat! But this, yeah, this qualifies for the villain. Think about this the next time you think you've just taken a "bad beat" as a 60/40 favorite.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($121.35)
SB ($98.70)
BB ($99)
Hero (UTG) ($126.05)
MP ($101.50)
CO ($51.55)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A, A
Hero bets $3, 1 fold, CO calls $3, 1 fold, SB calls $2.50, 1 fold

Flop: ($10) 3, 3, K (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $6.50, 1 fold, SB calls $6.50

Turn: ($23) A (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $16, SB calls $16

River: ($55) A (2 players)
SB bets $73.20 (All-In), Hero calls $73.20

Total pot: $201.40 | Rake: $3

Results:
SB had 3, 3 (four of a kind, threes).
Hero had A, A (four of a kind, Aces).
Outcome: Hero won $198.40

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:14 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I think this hand has as many quads as I've personally seen at the tables since I started playing poker.

I think your friend didn't win enough.

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:22 AM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I saw a hand once in a pso game that had a board of 9 9 10 10 A and three people went all-in.
AA, 99, 10 10. Only time that I've seen two quads in a texas hold-em game on pokerstars.

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:33 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
hmmm...now I have to ask you a question. I personally think hero played the hand from his stand point, but had the villian played differently, could he have made the hero fold his AA? I think it might be hard to push AA off this hand here but it is possible. I really think the villian should have played mroe aggresively but it appears as though he was trying to trap and it back fired...Im sure 33 was not in the heros mind but KK could have been...and with the villian commiting his stack..he should have re raised earlier to try to make those AA fold...

of course this is after seeing the showdown...so really I guess they both played it right...IDK but thats why Im asking...

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:35 AM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2010
In my local pub 1 friday playing poker

I had 10 10 utg raised 5bb everyone folds except the bb

Flop = 10 10 A

I'm all in Quad 10's lol

BB after some thinking calls

BB shows AA

Turn = blank

River = Do I need to tell you

Yip you guessed it only one card can kill me and there it appeared

Last ace in the pack

All out

LOL

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:42 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8998 View Post
In my local pub 1 friday playing poker

I had 10 10 utg raised 5bb everyone folds except the bb

Flop = 10 10 A

I'm all in Quad 10's lol

BB after some thinking calls

BB shows AA

Turn = blank

River = Do I need to tell you

Yip you guessed it only one card can kill me and there it appeared

Last ace in the pack

All out

LOL
Now thats a horror story but at least you got one to tell these naysayers that it actually does happen in live poker too...

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 02:08 AM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2010
Now thats a horror story but at least you got one to tell these naysayers that it actually does happen in live poker too...

Thats poker hehe

After that I got absolutely rat arsed

Old
hmmm - Fri Feb 18, 2011, 02:33 AM
(#8)
l think it was back in August, could have been Sept.

l ran my 1st contest,

it was something like, tell me why l don't get bad beats,

l think it was bill curran that won it, for some reason he could not receive transfers, but that's another story, bill, after l finish this post l will try to ship it again,

Because l'm lazy, l don't want to look for it,

So the 1st person that can find that thread, and post it's link here,

wins a free buy in to a Friday night Drunk Fest,

cheers

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 04:16 AM
(#9)
Since: May 2010
verdugo how can you possibly play this hand aggresively???

when you flop the stone cold nuts like quads you want to suck your oppenent dry...

i see hero leads out so as villain i would assume my oppenent has AK or KK at worst.

i agree maybe all the chips should have gone in on the turn on villians behalf to gain a snap call if you assume your oppenent has AK two pair or full house Ks with 3s but as for the river jeez i dont want to even boggle my mind with the odds of flopping quads let alone a board with 2 quad hands

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 04:55 AM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2010
If you want the odds Hero had 0.10% chance of hitting quads after the flop, rose to 2.27% after the turn.

If you were in the Villains shoes you'd have needed your bumps feeling to re-raise Heros flop and turn bets, why stop him doing the betting for you, as for the river, if you ain't calling you may as well not be playing.

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 05:02 AM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
here you go eff

hiccup

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...had-a-bad-beat

Old
yahoo - Fri Feb 18, 2011, 06:29 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker41673 View Post
way to go joker,

cheers

pm is on its way with club info, also shipping buy in

hiccup

Old
cool - Fri Feb 18, 2011, 06:39 AM
(#13)
Quote:

was very cool looking back at this,

cheers

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 06:46 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
was very cool looking back at this,

cheers
Yes it was
it was before i showed up here so i missed it the first time
i agree with bills answer too i don't whine or cry about losing to any hand no matter how "bad" it might have been

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 06:50 AM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
way to go joker,

cheers

pm is on its way with club info, also shipping buy in

hiccup
recieved and aplied for club membership
i will play in tonights tourney
thanks effsea

Old
very cool - Fri Feb 18, 2011, 06:54 AM
(#16)
Quote:
recieved and aplied for club membership
i will play in tonights tourney
thanks effsea

very cool, a lot of great peeps in the drunk tank,

you should have fun, and maybe win a few bucks,

cheers

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 06:59 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antlovesang1 View Post
verdugo how can you possibly play this hand aggresively???

when you flop the stone cold nuts like quads you want to suck your oppenent dry...

i see hero leads out so as villain i would assume my oppenent has AK or KK at worst.

i agree maybe all the chips should have gone in on the turn on villians behalf to gain a snap call if you assume your oppenent has AK two pair or full house Ks with 3s but as for the river jeez i dont want to even boggle my mind with the odds of flopping quads let alone a board with 2 quad hands
Well its simply my own opinion and of course this opinion is derived from my own experiences online playing real money cash games and tournies and even the PSO league.

In all of these types of play I have been the victim of running suck out quite often especially when flopping a great hand, I would definitely want to let my opponent trap himself but these experiences would have caused me to reraise to get my opponent questioning the strength of not only his hand but my possible hand and i never rule out the possibilty of my opponent having AA. but we all know slow playing and trying to trap can be self destructive and back fire just as in this case. And please remember I say this from my own experiences that its better to win a lil than to lose a lot...

Also poker is VERY situational...you can have the same hand (even a great one) but will play it differently given the stage of the tourney, your stack size or other players involved...

Really how many times have you seen AA get sucked out cause someone slow played em?

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 08:11 AM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
effsea, I think you should ship Sully Erna $1 too.

http://www.cardplayer.com/cardplayer...o-and-bad-beat

Old
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:10 AM
(#19)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERDUGO77 View Post
hmmm...now I have to ask you a question. I personally think hero played the hand from his stand point, but had the villian played differently, could he have made the hero fold his AA? I think it might be hard to push AA off this hand here but it is possible. I really think the villian should have played mroe aggresively but it appears as though he was trying to trap and it back fired...Im sure 33 was not in the heros mind but KK could have been...and with the villian commiting his stack..he should have re raised earlier to try to make those AA fold...

of course this is after seeing the showdown...so really I guess they both played it right...IDK but thats why Im asking...
Why would we ever want anyone to fold when we flop quads?

Old
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 01:10 AM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Why would we ever want anyone to fold when we flop quads?
no...Im saying the villian who flopped quads should have played more aggressivley and maybe could have made the AA fold...

...but i do uinderstand the idea of trying to trap here...but IDk...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com