Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Calling Raises From the Blinds

Old
Calling Raises From the Blinds - Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm wondering what you guys think of flatting preflop raises in the blinds. As a general rule, I raise/fold from the blinds, unless I'm in the big blind and the pot was opened by the small blind. I think that almost any holding would only play better out of position if you just stuck in a little 3bet preflop, but that's really just a guess of mine. Any opinions?

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 05:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
it really depends on the size of BB and amount of raise
if it's early still and it's a 2.5xBB raise you being on BB with suited/connectors and a stack that is better than when you started you should call just to see if you can hit the flop
but on the flip side if the raise is 10% of your stack and your holding is marginal at best it pays to just let it go

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 07:30 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I'm wondering what you guys think of flatting preflop raises in the blinds. As a general rule, I raise/fold from the blinds, unless I'm in the big blind and the pot was opened by the small blind. I think that almost any holding would only play better out of position if you just stuck in a little 3bet preflop, but that's really just a guess of mine. Any opinions?
Well your original question asks about flatting in the BB to a pre flop raise and of course the way you play is going to be read dependant always.
Let me explain..... depending on where they raise from and how much they raise is important. In addition if you have any reads or notes with this person it will make your decision as to how to play easier.
Why do we bet? We bet because we want to ask a question and giving you info? The original raiser says to all those after him/her " are you willing to gamble with your hand... because I am?" Now we still don't know what they are raising with but this is why we have our own question and answers.
If i fold i am saying "no" if i flat i am saying "I have a hand i want to gamble with" but then we can ask our own question by raising " are you willing to gamble with your hand"
You must keep track of how many times you three bet someone and how many times they fold to that three bet. Your play from here is all dependant on what you know of them if anything. General rule of thumb for me is if I don't know them I won't give them credit! But keep in mind I don't three bet bluff often so when i re raise it is becasue i have a hand I am willing toplay.
As was pointed out above it will also depend on blinds and stacks meaning I play this different if I have 10 bb's than if i have 45 bb's

Gidee Up!

Old
Tue Mar 08, 2011, 08:22 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2007
I think playing the blinds is an art in itself and I often 3bet raise with air if I feel someone is trying to steal blinds at the cash tables. It works an astoundingly high proportion of the time.

In tournies, especially the PSO league, I am much more prone to fold, flat call if I have a drawing hand and raise with something decent. Strangely, when I raise the original raiser often folds. So I realise I should be raising with more marginal hands.

The difference in tournies, I feel, is that the blinds are always going up: so if it is 300/600 and someone raises 2,400, I would have to raise 7,200 to get him off, which in this situation, means I would quite often be pot committed. And honestly, I don't want to be pot committed with air.

It is probably a failing in my tournament play to be honest. I think I need to grow a set and raise if I really believe the preflop raiser is stealing. I also notice that the raises normally come from UTG or the cut off and the same players repeat the play nearly every round when they are in those positions. Definitely stealing on most occasions, I think.

TC

Old
?? - Tue Mar 08, 2011, 08:46 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
i wont flat the bb from the sb- less i kno the guy - if he an auto boxer- i raise atc (if my stack permits)- if i in the bb and have a raise in front of me- i use the5/10 rule- less than 5% of my stack i call with any 2- between 5 and 10 % i call with suited connectors small pairs etc-more than 10% i will fold marginal hands--if i have a big hand- ima 3 betting----gl monk..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com