Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Poker on TV

Old
Poker on TV - Fri Feb 18, 2011, 05:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
I was listening to the online poker show last week, before the freeroll, and found out that in season 9 of the WPT they will be showing the whole tournament, not just final table(s). I'd like to ask if you think that this may change the way some people play? Personally, I think tv has added donkeys to the game, by showing final tables, where players are pushing in with almost any 2 cards, because of their SS or because of their playing for 3 or 4 days(or more) and they are getting tired. Whatever the reason, the donkeys don't take things like this in to account. Maybe now people will see the hours and days of tight agressive play to get them to that final table.

Any thoughts, plz post.
Stake

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 06:01 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
this would great because i'm more interested in begining play than the shoves and risky calls made at final table

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 07:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2010
Sunday Million

This is a good tourney to watch the pros

Have watched Kidpoker ^^^^^^^^^^^him above , liv and marcel

If newbies want to learn how to go deep into a tourney

I would advise them to pick a few pro's that are in it and watch them play

Will give a great idea of card range , bets and position

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 08:13 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8998 View Post
Sunday Million

This is a good tourney to watch the pros

Have watched Kidpoker ^^^^^^^^^^^him above , liv and marcel

If newbies want to learn how to go deep into a tourney

I would advise them to pick a few pro's that are in it and watch them play

Will give a great idea of card range , bets and position
Thanks for the idea. I'll use it.

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
If the pros are shoving left and right at the final table it is becausee the blinds got too high to correctly do anything else. If clueless people think this is a good strategy for the whole tournament, all the better for the less clueless. Just tighten up and wait to stack them with a premium hand. It doesn't really get easier than that. The more 'donkies' the better! All you have to do is adjust your gameplay to exploit their massive mistakes.

Personally, I always love to see more than just the final table. You can gain insight in good players early, mid, and late tournament strategy then instead of just final table play. I think this is exactly why it isn't shown though, because the more you see someone play the more you can pick apart their strategy. You can use that info to improve your own game or you can use it to find and exploit weaknesses in the players your watching.

Regarding Spikes post, that is a fantastic idea. I was actually trying to do that this past Sunday. I will be doing it again this Sunday as well. I'm not 100% sure how to find pros in the 8900 player field, seems like most don't show up on the search.... even if you happen to already know their exact screename. I don't know their screenames anyways though?

Last edited by RockerguyAA; Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 01:44 PM..

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 02:14 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
you also have to remember, that they don't show 90% of the hands on tv.. only the ones with action.
If they actually showed those, then you'd lose almost all their audience..... BUT.... it would be a ton more realistic.

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 05:18 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
If the pros are shoving left and right at the final table it is becausee the blinds got too high to correctly do anything else. If clueless people think this is a good strategy for the whole tournament, all the better for the less clueless. Just tighten up and wait to stack them with a premium hand. It doesn't really get easier than that. The more 'donkies' the better! All you have to do is adjust your gameplay to exploit their massive mistakes.

Personally, I always love to see more than just the final table. You can gain insight in good players early, mid, and late tournament strategy then instead of just final table play. I think this is exactly why it isn't shown though, because the more you see someone play the more you can pick apart their strategy. You can use that info to improve your own game or you can use it to find and exploit weaknesses in the players your watching.

Regarding Spikes post, that is a fantastic idea. I was actually trying to do that this past Sunday. I will be doing it again this Sunday as well. I'm not 100% sure how to find pros in the 8900 player field, seems like most don't show up on the search.... even if you happen to already know their exact screename. I don't know their screenames anyways though?
If the Pro is a PokerStars Pro, then the red Spade Logo shows next to their name in the Players list in the Tournament Lobby.

Just scroll down the list until you come across the PokerStars Logo

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curran View Post
If the Pro is a PokerStars Pro, then the red Spade Logo shows next to their name in the Players list in the Tournament Lobby.

Just scroll down the list until you come across the PokerStars Logo

Awesome ty.

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
When you're looking at the player list in the tournament lobbies, Pokerstars Pros will have the Pokerstar logo next to them, signifying that they're a Pro.

Also, under "Requests" in the main lobby, you can select "Find Team Pokerstars Player." This brings up the full list of Pokerstars Pros and tells you if they're online or not, and selecting one of the online Pros will list all of the tables they're playing at.

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 05:49 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
personally, when watching the main event on tv, i much prefer to watch the early stages of tourneys. also i enjoy watching bubble play(where i try to pay more attention to).

final tables, are pretty boring to watch on tv honestly. its just waiting for a hand that is shove worthy, and flipping coins.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com