Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

A-K Blunders

Old
A-K Blunders - Fri Feb 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I seem to be having difficulty playing my A-K hole cards lately and I'm looking for a little advice regarding how to better play my premium holdings.. In my first example it is the second hand of the PSO SL tourney and I flop a MONSTER..! It is evident that I made a poor decision (primarily pre-flop, but likely post-flop as well) on how I played this hand.. To take such a small pot w/ a monster like this is frustrating.. I will indicate that the pairing of the board on the turn coupled w/ the potential for a flush prompted me to bet the turn card the way I did.. It was obviously too early to formulate any sort of read on my opponents and whether or not I'd be able to bleed them of more chips.. Furthermore, I believe that one of the places I'm struggling is in losing value when holding hands such as these.. I'm typically too concerned w/ being drawn out on to play these cards for value..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

http://www.flopturnriver.com/Poker-H...CO-1328138.php

Hero (CO) (t1500)
Button (t1490)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1360)
MP1 (t1910)
MP2 (t1260)
MP3 (t1500)

Hero's M: 50.00

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K
2 folds, MP1 bets t40, 2 folds, Hero raises to t100, 3 folds, MP1 calls t60

Flop: (t230) K, 6, A (2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t230) 6 (2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero bets t230, 1 fold

Total pot: t230

In the second example it is clear that I made a mistake by re-raising the pre-flop aggressor in the way that I did.. I'm not sure if a flat-call was more appropriate or perhaps maybe a shove.. Although it's fairly early into the tourney, there had been much action both pre and post-flop.. The flop on this particular hand was terrible for me, as would fourth and fifth streets had I elected to continue.. However, w/ A-K developing into TPTK ~50% of the time (if my source is, in fact, correct), perhaps I did make the correct play..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

http://www.flopturnriver.com/Poker-H...P1-1328141.php

MP2 (t885)
MP3 (t1445)
CO (t1510)
Button (t1005)
SB (t990)
BB (t1470)
UTG (t1380)
UTG+1 (t3290)
Hero (MP1) (t1525)

Hero's M: 33.89

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, K
UTG bets t105, 1 fold, Hero raises to t240, 4 folds, SB calls t225, 1 fold, UTG calls t135

Flop: (t750) 7, 5, 2 (3 players)
SB bets t750 (All-In), UTG calls t750, [color=#666666][i]

Any advice here would be helpful.. Suggestions as to how you would play the hand(s) from their respective positions and the pre/post flop bets you would likely make (or maybe not make in the case of the second HH) would be helpful..

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by ClubbedNuts; Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM..

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 02:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I've got no problem with the way you played the 2nd one. raising preflop is fine and IMO it's a correct fold after the flop. As long as the two that were in after the flop were legit players, I'd put them on either a high/mid pair or low trips. Either way, your AK is in DEEP trouble.

If you pushed preflop in the 2nd one, you're more than likely now a railbird and it's way, way too early to be pushing without a made hand.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com