Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

When to move up in stakes?

Old
When to move up in stakes? - Fri Feb 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Ive been doing really well lately at the .01/.02 nl he.
but for a player that used to play .10/.25 regularly im having trouble realize when one should be going up in stakes.

i play the penny stakes now due to a much diminished bankroll, but would like some feedback on when to move up in stakes

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
how many hands have you played at 01/02 level? whats your winrate like?

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 03:05 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2010
you should have at least 20 BBs to move up stakes

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 03:29 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
how many hands have you played at 01/02 level? whats your winrate like?
im not much of a statistical player, as in retrieving stats of past sessions.
i'd just like some feedback for when a player should jump up in stakes.

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 03:34 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
lol well thats what you base a movement up on....if you are getting at least 10bb/100 with 25000 hands then its time to move up...or if you have 100 buyins for the next level then consider it

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 03:42 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
Since you have experience at the higher limits,I would ignore how many hands you have played and just move up if you have 22 buyins for 5NL($110).

Get out of 2nl as fast as you can,it is really bad for developing bad habits.
Usually people say to play 25k in hands at that lvl to see if your a winner,but there is no point at this lvl.

Bankroll is important but you also have to know your skill lvl and your comfort zone.
I made the mistake of testing the waters at 50NL and I absolutely love how people play at this lvl.
25NL is still kind of nitty and not really a big fan of.So now I have that urge to play 50NL all the time and made a plan to add funds so I am rolled for it.

2NL= Waste of time...Your just going to take to long to get rolled and move up.
5NL=Is a lot better than 2NL since you can now play abit mor post flop
10NL= For some reason I like this lvl more than 25NL
25NL= I think I hate this lvl,because it is the last place nits can get away with being nits.
So they multi table and just kill the flow of the game.

Alittle of track but wanted to post that,especially getting out of 2NL as fast as possible.

Here is a few posts that might help:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/78...ncement37.html

This is a bankroll one...
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/32...gement-197887/

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 03:44 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherethesoda View Post
Ive been doing really well lately at the .01/.02 nl he.
but for a player that used to play .10/.25 regularly im having trouble realize when one should be going up in stakes.

i play the penny stakes now due to a much diminished bankroll, but would like some feedback on when to move up in stakes

Lots of ways to go here with BR but here is a basic rule of thumb for cash BR management that I have used with some success.

My rule for cash Buy-ins is 5% of my BR. So if you have $100 you can buy-in for $5 per table. Now what stakes you play is up to you but I prefer having at least 100 BB's when I sit at a cash table so in this example I would play at .02/05 stakes. This would give me 20 buy-ins at this level. If my BR goes below $50 I would drop down a level and when my BR reached $200 I would look to move up a level to .05/10

BR management is about one thing - it requires discipline, whatever plan you decide is best for you the key is to stay with it and not get away from it when you hit a bad stretch.

Good luck I'm sure you will be back up to 10/25 soon.

Last edited by freddysw; Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: edit

Old
Fri Feb 18, 2011, 04:24 PM
(#8)
bankroll management is something that when i first made a deposit on here i didnt' give two craps about. but since having a lot of big swings with my bankroll, ive set the bar low, and winning very consistently at the 01/02 stakes is what keeps me there right now.

i think if i do alright in the pso this month, ill play 02/05, and see if i can dominate at that level

Old
. - Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:45 AM
(#9)
My bankroll management is pretty simple, but it's way below what you guys talk about. I use 10 percent, that means if I have a BR of $150, I don't enter anything more than a 1.10 entry fee. If I lose 3 entries, I'm done for the day. I keep a running total for the day, and don't ever exceed my limit.

Using this method, I've built my bankroll from 1.02 to 150++. It's been slow but steady. One thing I have noticed, I can win a lot faster in cash games, The downside is you can also lose a lot faster. You need to set limits and quit while you're ahead, or if you lose a certain amount .

It all boils down to discipline in the end, and if you can control yourself.

Good luck!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com