Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

let's discuss downswings and staying positive

Old
let's discuss downswings and staying positive - Sat Feb 19, 2011, 02:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
what do you guys think a typically amount of buy-ins be when you're in a downswing?

do you get worried and play smaller games when you're in a downswing?

do you tough it out and just play through it without taking a break?

how do you stay positive and play "your game" that made you a winning player before your downswing?

Old
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 02:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Good question, typically I dont grind enough to have a bad down streak.... but if I lose 3 or 4 in a row I usually take a day off. Now if I notice that my playing style has changed while losing I will take a few days off and try t remember what was working while I was hot

Old
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 02:11 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.duce View Post
what do you guys think a typically amount of buy-ins be when you're in a downswing?

how do you stay positive and play "your game" that made you a winning player before your downswing?
I know when I hit a downswing in the PSO, I usually take a day or two off without playing any. It gives me a chance to clear my mind, and re-evaluate my play. I can see where a downswing is because of variance and where it is a bad decision on my part. Then I jump on the horse again and avoid previous mistakes and hope that variance has moved on to the next guy for awhile. If you are scared about entering a tourney then you should not be entering it at all.

I usually only enter real money tourneys when I feel I am playing my best poker of the month. If things ae going badly, then it is time to take a break and re-evaluate there as well.

Old
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 02:13 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2010
ok i admit it!!!

if i have a downswing i take it out on the poor pso warm up guys

sorry y'all

Old
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 02:15 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.duce View Post

My games changed some in the pass 6 months, but one thing I've done always is try and play my game consistently. I try to limit myself by a schedule. I'll break it only if I'm running good, or running bad. Meaning I play about 2 hours a day of cash, if you I'm running good, I could play for 2 and a 1/2 hours, if I feel I'm playing badly, I'll quit after 30 minutes. Especially if I do things I know are mistakes.

-shark

Old
?? - Sat Feb 19, 2011, 05:25 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
imo-- if ure runnin bad - well then ure runnin bad- only reason i would drop buy in levels - is because i felt i was playin the same- was enjoying playing-(not tilted) and in a downswing-- so as to limit my losses- not to ward off the evil variance witch- that animal u cant kill--gl .. monk..

Old
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 07:20 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2010
Ditto

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com