Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Favourite Format: Sit & Go, MTT, or Cash?

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Single-Table Tournaments 4 16.67%
Multi-Table Tournaments 15 62.50%
Cash Games 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old
Favourite Format: Sit & Go, MTT, or Cash? - Sun Feb 20, 2011, 06:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
I want to try a poll for once. Just to get an idea of what people's interests here are, I'm asking what your favourite game format is. Do you prefer single-table sit & go's, multi-table tournaments, or cash games? Feel free to post why you prefer them, and any other details you want as well.

Personally, I like MTT's the best. I like the stress of working my way through a large field, where any single bad play can sink you. I also really enjoy the feeling of accomplishment from making a final table. I like to continually practice and find ways to better my tournament game. I've been sick the past week and haven't been able to work, so I've been playing four per day.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 06:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
I voted for MTT's as I LIKE them the best. But for turning a consistent profit so far SNG's have treated me the best. Mainly because it's been my rotten luck that all my wins in MTT's so far have been in freerolls---2 PSO's,a Hubble's and a Ptolmey's 2-7 SD. I think as I move to higher levels I'll enjoy the rings more than I do now. Still very much feeling my way and want to try and find time to get a real grind going on the .10-.25 games,get a large sample and then see where I stand. Am actually starting to get antsy to move up to the $1.00 ABI level games as there are alot I'm interested in checking out,including the 1,2 and 3 table SNG's but I'm sticking to my plan.

And this time of the year my thoughts are more do you prefer mixed leagues or AL/NL only,LOL.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 06:53 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2010
I'd have to say single table or small field SnG's, play tends to be more in line with real poker and time spent making notes on opps pays off as you or they aren't going to change table every 5 mins. You also tend to bump into the same players regularly.

Also good practise for final tables of MTT's and a greater chance to experience HU play.

That combined with the fact the payout odds are far better tahn any MTT would have to put it top of my preferred play list.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:22 AM
(#4)
Yay for discipline, Moxie. What does AL mean?

And I really like your point about more FT and HU action, bogweed. I might play more of the multi-table sit & go's just for that. I do find that MTT's generally have better quality late game action though. And the opportunity to practice is added incentive just to get up there. Also, to add to your payout odds point, MTT's generally only pay the worthwhile prizes to the top 1% of the field. It takes an insane amount of skill to be a pro MTT player, I imagine. The top 3 spots are really worth getting to, but with a field of 5000 or so, it's kinda hard.

If I could be that good though, it's worth the time spent practicing!

Old
Voted Cash. - Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:29 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
I voted Cash, because I want cash. Is that what you meant? j/k.

I love playing MTT's over anything else in terms of enjoyment. Which is saying a lot, because, I'd prefer not playing over anything else. But, for overall, winning money, I prefer cash, 6 max limit tables. Rush OK too, if I'm FTP Grinding, or rakeback grinding as well. -shark

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 09:46 AM
(#6)
Looks like MTT's are winning. I have a feeling though, that as soon as the Gold Star players wake up and find this post, cash is gonna win. Guess we'll see.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
here's the correct answer..... ALL OF THE ABOVE

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:00 AM
(#8)
Unfortunately I did not allow for multiple responses. So there.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
I prefer larger MTTs but i find if i want to make fast consistant profit i should play cash games

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 04:56 PM
(#10)
Profit is definitely not consistent in massive field MTT's. So much fun to play, though. I'm still a little surprised that cash hasn't picked up, given that so many people play ring games for the consistency and rakeback.

I think MTT's should award more VPP's to make them more rakebackable. Might just be me, though.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 05:48 PM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2010
i like multtable sngs the most, then probably large MTTs and i'm "up" on everything i play... but f**k cash ring

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:01 PM
(#12)
Well, as I suspected, all the Gold Stars seem to prefer the cash games.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:13 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
check out dino4312396 playe 36 tourneys at a time... $16-$110

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:14 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Yay for discipline, Moxie. What does AL mean?

And I really like your point about more FT and HU action, bogweed. I might play more of the multi-table sit & go's just for that. I do find that MTT's generally have better quality late game action though. And the opportunity to practice is added incentive just to get up there. Also, to add to your payout odds point, MTT's generally only pay the worthwhile prizes to the top 1% of the field. It takes an insane amount of skill to be a pro MTT player, I imagine. The top 3 spots are really worth getting to, but with a field of 5000 or so, it's kinda hard.

If I could be that good though, it's worth the time spent practicing!

AL is American League,NL is National. I'm a huge Fantasy baseball junkie.

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:16 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
thats where ya been huh?

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:25 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogweed1964 View Post
I'd have to say single table or small field SnG's, play tends to be more in line with real poker and time spent making notes on opps pays off as you or they aren't going to change table every 5 mins. You also tend to bump into the same players regularly.

Also good practise for final tables of MTT's and a greater chance to experience HU play.

That combined with the fact the payout odds are far better tahn any MTT would have to put it top of my preferred play list.

Don't leave out that you'll see alot more bubble plays to bog. Even in the 45 and 90 man's I play the oppurtunity to see the bubble more often and hopefully improve your play there is much more prevalent than in an MTT.

I just like MTT's better,but feel that for me SNG's are where I can get my most consistent money.MTT's are more about the occasional "Big Pop" which can really impact your BR in a positive way. For me at least I try to fund my MTT entries through SNG winnings. I kind of think that at every level this will most likely be my best path,rings swing too hard variance wise at the mini-micro levels for my taste as far as relying on them for anymore than my VPP's and FPP's right now. But that's just me,I know others swear by the rings.

Whatever works for you is what you should do but if you don't enjoy what you're playing,at least a little,it will probably negatively impact your results.

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 05:27 AM
(#17)
Looks like tournaments are the favourite. Yay MTT's!

Thanks for everyone who voted. And feel free to vote if you haven't yet.

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 05:47 AM
(#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Looks like tournaments are the favourite. Yay MTT's!

Thanks for everyone who voted. And feel free to vote if you haven't yet.

I think part of that is that PStars basically caters to MTT and SNG players with all the games they offer,especially at the micro and mini-micro levels that you simply don't find elsewhere,at least not anywhere near as much volume as PStars.

So I think a fair amount of players are here to begin with becasue they favor PStars for that and I think other players have come to appreciate all the MTT offerings PStars has.

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 05:59 AM
(#19)
That's probably true. Also, PSO seems to cater to tournament players. The courses seem to focus on tournaments in general, and the league is a giant set of MTT's, too. I'm also thinking I might have sold MTT's a bit too much in my initial post, so there might have been some bias added there.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com