Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

what am i doing wrong?

Old
what am i doing wrong? - Sun Feb 20, 2011, 05:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
i must have the most erratic score sheet in the whole pso.....my ranking isn't as steady as anyone's i've seen...it goes up and down by thousands. up to 3000th...followed by down to 9000th.

what, if anything can i do to be consistent? is everyone's scoring like mine? is it just that practice is the answer?

Old
?? - Sun Feb 20, 2011, 06:03 PM
(#2)
Early outs are the reason why- if ure gonna play a pot early- try and keep it small - unless u have the nutz-- avoid multiway pots- and keep an eye on the sitters- no reason to go out of a tourney b4 them- that will gain u 50 or 100 spots right there- lots of other things too- read the posts on using ure clock- take notes on players marking their scores from previous months- etc.. gl -- monk...

Old
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:08 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree. You have to learn alot more patience early in the tournies, so you do not get early busts. Anything in the bottom 50% of a tourney will cause you to drop like a rock.

another thing to look at... how many hands are you in? your flop % seen should only be in the 20% range (+/- 5%). My guess is that you are probably trying to play too many hands and need to fold the marginal ones earlier in a tourney.... based on what I've seen from random other people in the same situation as you.

Last edited by JWK24; Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: added in flop %

Old
Wed Feb 23, 2011, 10:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
In an average pso tourney there are aproximately 1400 people.

multiply this times 1500 starting chips equals

2,100,000 chips divided by nine people at final table is

233,333 chips to reach final table as an average chip stack.

How many double ups do you need starting from 1500 to get to 233,333?

double ups... therefore, technically and within reason... you only need to play 9hands in any one tourney to get to final table?

first person that starts blathering about yes but... can leave. i am trying to illustrate a point here?g system actually works and play the system...

another thing for you to conisder is find out how the scoring system actually works and play the system...

as you climb the ladder, you need to finish within a certaintop percentage of people to gain plus points....

i am not sure if thenumbers here are absolutely correct, but here someone that knows for sure please correct me the

below 1650 points you need to finish in the top 35% to start getting plus points.
below 1750 top 30%
below 1800 top 25%
below 1850 top 20%
below 1900 top 15%

the scoring systemis an inverse logarythm in that the higher you climb the more points youloe if you do not finish above your plus point number.

the biggest jump in points begins when you reach the money but as long as you get within your plus points percentage each time you will steadily climb the ladder...

it is conceivable that someone tha never reaches the money all month but always made their plus points every sinle time, cold actually win the first place postion.

thisis the system, love it or leave it, but by all means play it to your advantage.

this is not the place to suggest changes nor criticise the system, wehave been through all that before...

add further suggestions how the OP can improve her score

stay on topic and do not turn thisinto a thread arguing the scoring system?

and dont flame me, insult me, call me a pedophile or garabge, either because i will report you, since i am specifically forbidden to ever defend myself around here or i get perma banned.

Old
??? - Wed Feb 23, 2011, 10:40 PM
(#5)
solid point-- yet aiming too high for consistency-imo-- average chip stack at itm = amount of chips in play /spots in itm-- averages usually between 9500 and 11000- so for consistent PSO and pso only- not playin to win-- satellite strategy- and i hate saying this - but if you got 7000 chips -100 from the money-- you can probably post and fold your way to good positive points-- thats the pso way-- gl run deep-- monk

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 03:39 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull_2005 View Post
In an average pso tourney there are aproximately 1400 people.

multiply this times 1500 starting chips equals

2,100,000 chips divided by nine people at final table is

233,333 chips to reach final table as an average chip stack.

How many double ups do you need starting from 1500 to get to 233,333?

double ups... therefore, technically and within reason... you only need to play 9hands in any one tourney to get to final table?

first person that starts blathering about yes but... can leave. i am trying to illustrate a point here?g system actually works and play the system...

another thing for you to conisder is find out how the scoring system actually works and play the system...

as you climb the ladder, you need to finish within a certaintop percentage of people to gain plus points....

i am not sure if thenumbers here are absolutely correct, but here someone that knows for sure please correct me the

below 1650 points you need to finish in the top 35% to start getting plus points.
below 1750 top 30%
below 1800 top 25%
below 1850 top 20%
below 1900 top 15%

the scoring systemis an inverse logarythm in that the higher you climb the more points youloe if you do not finish above your plus point number.

the biggest jump in points begins when you reach the money but as long as you get within your plus points percentage each time you will steadily climb the ladder...

it is conceivable that someone tha never reaches the money all month but always made their plus points every sinle time, cold actually win the first place postion.

thisis the system, love it or leave it, but by all means play it to your advantage.

this is not the place to suggest changes nor criticise the system, wehave been through all that before...

add further suggestions how the OP can improve her score

stay on topic and do not turn thisinto a thread arguing the scoring system?

and dont flame me, insult me, call me a pedophile or garabge, either because i will report you, since i am specifically forbidden to ever defend myself around here or i get perma banned.

Constructive post Gull,good to see this again.

I think 2 things I would want to point out though are these:

1. Focusing on FT's in PSO is pointless. Worry about 3 things mainly--A. Don't finish bottom 50% of the field,you'll get dinged hard on points for that. B. Know your "Zero out' number--i.e.where you have to reach to flip the script form a negative to a positive score. Anything within 2 points +/- is really basically a wash anyways,but you want to know what this number is going in. It's your first real "goal" number to reach. C. After you have reached your zero out,or at least close to it it's time to open it up a bit and start looking to chip up and make it to ITM. And monk is dead on in his post here--you have say 7000 chips and it's 100 from the money,clocking it and turtling your way to the money is a solid play in PSO. It disgusts me somewhat to say that but this league plays as a series of Satellite tournaments and NOT like a traditional MTT. That's if finishing high on the leaderboard is your goal.

2. As to the "zero out" number--what you need to reach to make it to a positive score,Gull you said you were'nt sure and I think you're off a bit on your numbers here. If I remember correctly the first throttle starts at 1660 points for the month and before you reach that number you have to make top 33% of the field to be in positive points. I've heard it was 30% also but I'm pretty sure it's 33% and I'll use my result in my tournament on the 22nd to illustrate this:

There were 1617 runners and at 33% my zero out number to reach was 534 (slight fluctuations for relative field strength unaccounted for of course) and I went out at 546 losing 1.18 points. If the number was 30% I would have needed to reach 485 to break even and I think being 61 away from that number would score a little worse than -1.18. I'm sure that your 35% figure is too high as my number there would have been 566 and I would have scored + points going out at 546. Also there is no new throttle at 1900 points,the final throttle kicks in at 1870 points for the month and the number to reach is 22.5% of the field. I have heard plenty of other numbers bandied about in 6+ months playing here but these are the ones I remember as being correct and I do know this--they are what I make MY projections for where I need to finish in a given PSO going in and I can usually predict my score (or anyone elses if I know their point total for the month) within 1 point,+ or -,once they go out of any given PSO and usaully a little tighter than that even. But then again this is'nt exactly a trait that I alone possess. Show me a PSO sicko and I'm betting they can do it to.

Since you made a plea at the end of your post I'll make one at the end of mine----Please,please,please go back to making posts like these (look monk played nice here to ) and that way I can pretty much wager that you won't need to put the little "warning labels" on the end of your posts that you felt compelled to do here.

Not a flame,burn,joke or anything but a request here Gull. Hope it's received with an open mind so all this can stop from all sides and we can get back to poker and good clean fun charcacter assasinations in this forum. (Like if you lose that bet with eff? Well you know the bunny ranch outside of Vegas I'm sure---well if eff wins that bet with you he'll be at the "Sheep Ranch" outside fo Mississauga. I think $4 may even get him a rematch,so to speak).

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 03:42 AM..

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 09:22 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
MMMMMMMMM sheep and totally agree with ya Moxie, very nice post Seagull no ranting nobody taking shots at you.. just like when you blew onto the scene here

Old
Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:12 PM
(#8)
Some examples of close to and right on zero for a few throttles
seagull is pretty close on his math, the higher ranges are a little lower

02/22/2011.....10:00.....PSO Skill League.....No Limit.....1057.....151.....2.86.....1904.57.....19 07.43 14.3%
02/21/2011.....20:00.....PSO Skill League.....No Limit.....1767.....390.....0.1.....1892.91.....189 3.01 22.07%
01/19/2011.....20:00.....PSO Skill League.....No Limit.....1717.....433..... 0.....1800.88.....1800.88 25.22%
01/09/2011.....13:00.....PSO Skill League.....No Limit.....1683.....517.....0.09.....1651.35.....16 51.44 30.72%
02/02/2011.....13:00.....PSO Skill League.....No Limit.....1753.....612.....0.34.....1537.74.....15 38.08 34.92%

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 05:23 AM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
i always start by trying not to make any mistakes... (not losing ur chips is just as important as winning some) ...and that begins by anyalyzing everything i do, before i do it. not just doing it. its easy to get into a rut. i.e. instead of just automatically calling i ask myself, should i fold instead or maybe raise instead? then i really think about my play after the turney. and if i screwed up and know it, i dont do it again im buying a book, that cant hurt either. (recommendations welcome..thinking about doyle's)

Old
making adjustments - Fri Mar 04, 2011, 06:35 AM
(#10)
to be a good poker player you have to make adjustments,because if you play the same style off play on every table your chances off getting knocked out early increase,i put tables in 2catagorys!loose and tight,most tables in the first 3rounds in tournaments are loose which meens you tighten your play, when blinds get bigger most tables are tight so making preflop raises at least 3x the big blind is what i do just to see if a you steel the blinds or b you get a caller,if you get a caller and see a flop dont over play your hand,as for aces iv folded ace on the flop in the last week because the board paired and i knew i was beat,and one off the players had the guts to show me i was right,his trip kings were better then my 2pair which were aces and kings

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com