Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

PSO Skill Numbers Dwindling?

Old
PSO Skill Numbers Dwindling? - Mon Feb 21, 2011, 12:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
So, I've noticed we are getting fewer runners in the skill league as of late. Last month we were getting closer to the 2K mark. Wonder if the ITM % change was that big of a deterrent? What are everyone's thoughts? Do you think they'll go back to the old system? I for one, don't see that much of a difference, but, I like huge fields and the old ITM % was better for my game I think. As the PSO is as much as a marketing tool, as it is a school wonder what the powers that be think. -shark

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 12:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If by lowering the ITM%, you get rid of a bunch of the push donks... I'm all for it.

No problem with the changes and think it makes for better games.

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 12:11 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
If by lowering the ITM%, you get rid of a bunch of the push donks... I'm all for it.

No problem with the changes and think it makes for better games.
I likes all the donks, fish, and shove monkeys, also a special place for mokeyskunk4 ( he cracks me up ). If not for them, I'd have to play some poker. We all know I can't do any of that.
-shark

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 12:14 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
the numbers in these also have gotten less and less the further into a month that you get. It's been like that every month so far. Lots more at the beginning, less at the end.

Old
numbers shrinking - Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:10 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
From what i can tell pso is another system to reward bronze vip's and up and an attempt to lure others into makeing deposits. and when the non vip's realize that they have to earn a top 200 spot and make chump change after many hours of play.Then they lose intrest and walk away
Do you really think they will stick around.I for one am not a vip,however i do play many hours on pso and freerolls and win pennies if i am lucky.i am better off collecting bottles on mars lol.
Seems vip's and chip leaders do get the better hands in the pso tournies and if not, they out draw you anyhow.Really what can a silver or higher vip really learn from pso that he should not already know.
To see a silver star recieve 4 pp aces in less than 90 hands and then out draw players with 8,3o and 9,4o in that same span tells me he is just oozeing with skill.LOL
By decreaseing the ITM% just encourages people to be shove monkies and donks so as to build chip stacks and then sit out and get into the positive points.
Besides vip's already have their month end bonus tournies to play.
pso should be a 2 tiered system with freerolls for bronze and non vips with a little more $$$$ to attract more depositing players.Incude a ticket to the silver and higher league to the top finisher in the lower teir.
Create a silver and higher tier with a buy in.
This should attract more player and improve the games being played.
Well Ps is a business, guess they don't want to piss of the higher paying customers
Some of you flamers go ahead.I don't care because there is nothing more you can do that i haven't seen on the tables or in the many forums i have read.
have fun

Old
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Funny shark. I was thinking exactly the same thing tonight. This looks like an experiment gone wrong to me. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the system revert to what we had come April. Irrespective of whether the games are better, which I would dispute anyway, fewer people logging on is not good business.

mudzlinger. Oh never mind. You know anyway.

Old
No donk dwindling noticed - Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:40 PM
(#7)
Nope I still see the great number of donks on the tables as before and anyone who says donks are great for the chip count should think back to the last time some jerk called all in on a A 2 os vs your AK suited and flopped a 2. As for PSO itself I still think it should be tiered in regards to placings not overall points - set up levels for top finishes say you finish in the top 30 4 times or something like that you go to a lvl A play off round etc. Anyone can grind out 200 games in month if they have the time and finish within 100th place each game to gain positive points .
Grrrr hate donks
Hamster

Last edited by CDNHamster; Sat Feb 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM..

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 08:16 AM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
(Shouldn't this be in the pso skill league area?)

It may be that some just get fed up with grinding against so many loose maniacs and find other games and sites in order to enjoy their poker.

I know I have played less this month and the less I play pso tournies the more I play elsewhere. One can only learn so much from one format at the end of the day. Lessons learnt and put to use here and elsewhere.

MB

Last edited by wwwMBeecouk; Sun Feb 27, 2011 at 08:24 AM..

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 09:56 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
The first part of the equation is the game itself. PSO has tightened the number of players winning any financial incentive. As far as the point system goes, that has not changed.

Reducing the number paid is a positive thing. We all have listened to those players at the tables who will tell you their only reason for being there is the free money. These are the same players relying on the ATC system. We have all read enough threads about the bad beats to last a lifetime. If tightening the payouts removes their incentive by making it too hard, I say that change was overdue.

Points remain unchanged. At least mine have. This might still be needing adjustments, but as I have noticed, the positive range begins when twenty-five percent of the field remains. Considering it takes to Round Eight or Nine to eliminate those sitting out the entire game, and the positive points starts after that, I have no complaints.

I will also plead guilty regarding the scoring system. Been in this thing since it started back in June or July, and yet to understand it. It isn't my bad, I find no interest in learning the hows beyond learning where the positives begin for me. And therein lies the key. Players who are consistently in the higher range no doubt can tell you how many points and where by grinding on a calculator. I consider myself fortunate breaking 1750.

As noted earlier, the game has increased as far as player count per game. The reason we see such a drop between the first five days and the last five days can be seen on the leaderboard. The initial rush has everyone vying for a spot in the money. Around the middle of the month, the field has broken into three distinct groups: Never-gonna, Long-shots, and guaranteed-but-not-sure-wheres.

The Never-gonnas stop playing, or become the ruiners for the last half of the month. You know these guys. They want to ruin your status by forcing you into overbidding or by stealing your stake. Long-shots will either dig harder, or give up as the last days draw near. They are the black queens from Alice in Wonderland who run so fast, but go nowhere.

Now some nasty things have been said regarding those of us who have become bronze or silver. To be honest, I cannot understand how I got bronze since I got it without ever playing one cash game. As to rewards, getting a chance to play in a turbo game, read play bingo, is not what I call a reward. I looked into the bronze star game section and the only thing available is either the turbo, or hyperturbo. That is no reward, it's an insult to anyone trying to play a serious game.

Silver players fascinate me. Considering how many vpps they must earn each month, I wonder why they even waste their time freerolling.

And a special word to our current conspiracy fan, not true. I can tell you I had a run on pocket aces that ran three hand, and when I became the big blind, hit quads with a hand I wouldn't play in any other position. Cards run hot, and they run dead. We all experience such things. We all have experienced the rare times when everything turns golden. Can also tell you about those times gold became worthless.

If you honestly believe the site targets certain classes of players for better hands than the other players, look for the exit. Do not walk. Use warp speed to escape. Saddly, the truth is even harder to take. The site could not care about you any less than it does. There is no incentive to make Player A win, or Player B to lose.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
Now some nasty things have been said regarding those of us who have become bronze or silver. To be honest, I cannot understand how I got bronze since I got it without ever playing one cash game. As to rewards, getting a chance to play in a turbo game, read play bingo, is not what I call a reward. I looked into the bronze star game section and the only thing available is either the turbo, or hyperturbo. That is no reward, it's an insult to anyone trying to play a serious game.
You've completely lost me here Cairn. As far as I was aware, ALL players are at least a Bronze Star

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudzlinger View Post
From what i can tell pso is another system to reward bronze vip's and up and an attempt to lure others into makeing deposits. and when the non vip's realize that they have to earn a top 200 spot and make chump change after many hours of play.Then they lose intrest and walk away
Do you really think they will stick around.I for one am not a vip,however i do play many hours on pso and freerolls and win pennies if i am lucky.i am better off collecting bottles on mars lol.
Seems vip's and chip leaders do get the better hands in the pso tournies and if not, they out draw you anyhow.Really what can a silver or higher vip really learn from pso that he should not already know.
To see a silver star recieve 4 pp aces in less than 90 hands and then out draw players with 8,3o and 9,4o in that same span tells me he is just oozeing with skill.LOL
By decreaseing the ITM% just encourages people to be shove monkies and donks so as to build chip stacks and then sit out and get into the positive points.
pso should be a 2 tiered system with freerolls for bronze and non vips with a little more $$$$ to attract more depositing players.Incude a ticket to the silver and higher league to the top finisher in the lower teir.
Well Ps is a business, guess they don't want to piss of the higher paying customers
Some of you flamers go ahead.I don't care because there is nothing more you can do that i haven't seen on the tables or in the many forums i have read.
have fun
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I see we've found another clown who equates VIP status to skill level.

And of course... anyone who's ever played a cash ring game, sng, or mtt is automatically a bronze star... so not exactly sure what you're complaining about.

That's about all I got out of your incoherent babbling.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 11:39 AM
(#12)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
You've completely lost me here Cairn. As far as I was aware, ALL players are at least a Bronze Star
All REAL MONEY players are atleast bronze star.

Regarding the PSO freeroll, the varying numbers could simply reflect the time of the year maybe? I don't think you can come to any conclusions about the cause of varying participation levels only after 1 month.

I took my shot at the freeroll. Didn't end up where I hoped to, but not a bad run for my first month. I could focus on the league again in march and place much higher, but I think I will simply move on to other things. The PSO freeroll can be rewarding to real money players just as much as whitestars, but proper time needs to be sheduled to play the PSO. I feel like I wasn't able to spend enough time on it this month and that is why my top 100 goal was not met.

I should be here to stay in the PSO for a long time though. I really love the live training, the SNG course, and getting advice from masters like Dave and Randy. I mean seriously, the cash game master himself Nanonoko might give you FREE advice and tips.... that is just so amazing it makes me sick. Point being, no matter what changes are made to the freeroll, the PSO will continue to thrive thanks to the great content they provide.

Old
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 12:22 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Most of the players I see do not have the bronze star. I do know you can block it, but cannot see the sense to it. Personally, I became a bronze star somewhere after my sixth month here playing nothing but freerolls. Then one day I come online and there it is. Been there ever since.

If everyone is bronze, it sure removes the reward feature. Speaking of which, I did find one non-turbo, non-hyperturbo game for the bronze player. For 50 Fpps, you can play in a Sunday game for a prize fund of $2,000. That game has fifteen minute rounds and no rebuys. Now all I have to do is figure out a way to get those Fpps each week.

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 02:41 AM
(#14)
Can't remember when the bronze star popped up, in fact I'm fairly certain it was there from day one.

I choose not to display VIP status simply on the basis of it being information and I try not to give any information to an opponent unless its mis-information.

As for the dwindling numbers it may be a case of a lot of peeps playing a little extra online poker over the Xmas / New Year break stumbled across the PSO and tagged on into early Jan, found it wasn't quite the goose that was going to provide them with a golden egg and moved on.

The changed ITM structure may have something to do with it but again I think many join up thinking there is lots of free cash to be won and when they see that the real cost is time and effort they give up.

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 05:21 AM
(#15)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudzlinger View Post
have fun
Why flame someone who's engaging in self-immolation?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old
Mon Feb 28, 2011, 07:46 AM
(#16)
I don't care if a supernova elite plays here doesn't make him a better player, just means he spent a lot of cash playing don't mean he has a billion dollars from great poker playing abilities, here i play solid and bad beats r bound to happen and rank will hurt, so playing here i hope my premiums hold vs some silly hand and do my best. GL all

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com