Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Timid Line w/ TP Mid-kicker..?

Old
Timid Line w/ TP Mid-kicker..? - Mon Feb 21, 2011, 02:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I think I played this hand too timidly.. My question relates to the soft-line i took post-flop.. Should I have played this hand w/ more aggression, or is it fair to be cautious being 4-handed..? (Edit: This is a PSO SL tourney)

I'll at least say that maybe I should have bet the flop to say, two-times the BB and further bet the turn card to buy out any drawing hands.. But being in the BB I was corncerned I'd get little respect for betting out and likely been called-down by an OE str-draw and definitely something like K-T/K-9.. There had been a bit of slow-play action already taking place and it was still a possibility.. Someone could easily have been on K-Qs the way things were going..

Anyway, opinions/suggestions/comments..?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 125/250 Blinds 25 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button (t1730)
SB (t485)
Hero (BB) (t3009)
UTG (t5930)
UTG+1 (t2145)
MP1 (t3160)
MP2 (t3757)
MP3 (t8588)
CO (t5385)

Hero's M: 5.01

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, K
4 folds, MP3 calls t250, CO calls t250, Button calls t250, 1 fold, Hero checks

Flop: (t1350) 3, K, Q (4 players)
Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks

Turn: (t1350) 3 (4 players)
Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks

River: (t1350) J (4 players)
Hero bets t250, 2 folds, Button raises to t1455 (All-In), Hero calls t1205

Last edited by ClubbedNuts; Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 02:45 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Being first to act in a four way pot, I tend to check a marginal hand. K7 here has a good chance of being best against 3 limpers, but suited Kings and K9o are in some limping ranges. You are way ahead of small pocket pairs and mid suited connectors. If you bet, and the action goes fold, raise, re-raise -- you are going to have to fold and lose the amount you bet. If you check the action would have been check, bet, raise and you can fold without putting more into the pot. There are not many scare cards for your hand. The only carsds you don't want to see are A, J, T and 9. You don't want to play a big pot with top pair weak kicker. So I like the flop check.

But once it's checked through on the flop and the turn is reasonably safe, a value/protection bet is in order. I'd bet 700 and fold to a raise.

As played, on the river I would check and decide based on the size and source of any bet.

Last edited by DLeviathan; Tue Feb 22, 2011 at 12:10 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Thanks for the input, D..

As it turned out, your assessment makes complete sense.. Had I bet the t700 you recommend here on the turn I may have been able to buy out the (gut-shot) straight draw that eventually stacked-off came the river.. After realizing my mistake by checking the turn and getting raised on the river, my emotions got the best of me and I called..

Oops..!

Last edited by ClubbedNuts; Tue Feb 22, 2011 at 12:23 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com