Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

MTT + R with 60min ext reg help

Old
Question
MTT + R with 60min ext reg help - Mon Feb 21, 2011, 05:41 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Intro part, skip down for actual question.

I hope the title made sense.. Pretty new here. I was refering to big tournaments with option of rebuy and addon as well as 60min extended registration. Mainly ones in the low buy-in range of 1$-5$.

I'm pretty new to playing poker except for casual fun play with friends, I recently joined PS and I'm reading all the courses thoroughly as well as trying to join all the live training sessions and watch tournaments on pokerstars.tv.

I'm still trying to find a playstyle I like and refine my strategies. I don't look a lot at my results hand by hand, but I try to analyze how I played overall in everything I play in. I only play tournaments and sit&go.

My playstyle right now is trying to play a decent number of hands in the beginning of the tournaments as long as all the stack sizes are pretty even. If I go a bit under I play tighter and more aggressive with good hands and if I go big I try to play the same as when I started. I avoid dangerous risks and I virtually never call super-aggressive play from anyone, especially not all ins until at least itm spots, and 90% only when I know I have the nuts or I have a good read on my opponents style.

Question: For my playstyle and since I'm new, does it matter at all if I register late or early in these tournaments? Since I'm playing kinda tight I'm thinking playing for 1 hour less would mean less chips lost to blinds since I'm playing relatively few hands and folding easily without the nuts or very strong hands against big aggression.

Same question for tournaments with different kinds of turbo.

Since I haven't dedicated a very big bankroll to playing as I'm rather new and still learning I want to avoid buying in again and try to avoid addons unless I see it as a clear benefit.

Or should I just generally avoid these kind of tournaments until I'm more confident with my play?

Edit: My bankroll is planned to be no more then 50$ a month, then playing with what I win or adjust down if I lose.

Last edited by Mewlove; Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 05:43 AM..

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 05:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Hey Mewlove! I know I've seen you before, but I'm not sure where. I think I might have played against you recently...

That's a new avatar, right? I'm sure I've seen you in the past day or two...

Anyway, if you're pretty new, you might want to avoid the rebuy tournaments. I haven't played them much, but I'm pretty sure the $1 rebuys are like the $10 regulars. They're pretty difficult. Practice is great though! I enjoy it a lot. If you're doing MTT's, maybe try the 55 cent ones with money added for the first little while. They're cheap enough to not destroy your bankroll while you improve, and since there's money added, your buck goes farther if you do cash. What do you think of that?

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 06:06 AM
(#3)
Sounds good. And yeah, I only play in the added tournaments because I assume better players play in the other MTTs.

All the MTTs I play I try to get the best practice out of it possible and still play it to win. I'm not really thinking much about the itm spots unless I get unlucky before the spots, then I usually try to survive to get the entry fee back at least in order to try again without any losses.

The avatar is the one I've had since the day I registered, so sounds unlikely ^^

On a side note: In all the tournaments I've played I've done somewhat like:

60% placed itm.
20% in top 20.
10% placed in top 7,5%
5% final table. Placed 7th in a 6k added rebuy and 9th or something in another tourny.
5% lost very early. Trip J vs trip J with lower kicker then the other guy comes to mind.. sigh

Not saying I'm good at all, quite the opposite, but just to give an idea.

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 06:08 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2010
new player with small BR

AVOID AVOID AVOID rebuys donkfests grind the 25 cent 90 man SnG's if your BR is bigger than i assume try the $1.10 SnG's

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 06:18 AM
(#5)
Ok, I think I'll avoid those tournaments until I have at least a month of experience and then try some of the 1-2$ ones. Right now I'm a bit free with my bankroll because I won about 500$ in the two tournaments I placed final in, but I'm being very hard on myself so I don't get a big head from it.

On later thought though. I would make the same question for non-rebuy tournaments.

With my playstyle and limited experience, would it be an advantage to start late or would it make no difference?

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 06:28 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewlove View Post
60% placed itm.
20% in top 20.
10% placed in top 7,5%
5% final table. Placed 7th in a 6k added rebuy and 9th or something in another tourny.
5% lost very early. Trip J vs trip J with lower kicker then the other guy comes to mind.. sigh
That's a really good record. It might just be luck that you've done so well to start, so definitely take it easy until you know for sure that you're good enough to sustain positive results.

I can't really comment on when to buy in, because I never start late. I figure that I'm either going to do well in the first hour and get my stack far enough off the ground to make it deep, or I'm not. If I'm still at the starting stack after an hour, I get pretty depressed. :p Buying in late does save you time, so you're investing less time to make whatever you get paid out, but you're at the disadvantage of starting with a below average stack. I prefer to just get the benefit of time on my side, and start at the beginning.

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 06:47 AM
(#7)
Yeah, I'm taking being a luckbag into concideration. ^^

I think my playstyle is starting to become a bit solid though. I started poker after I started finding my other hobbies rather boring and I've always been good at math and those classes in school. Moved here from strategy games like Starcraft 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I figure that I'm either going to do well in the first hour and get my stack far enough off the ground to make it deep, or I'm not. If I'm still at the starting stack after an hour, I get pretty depressed. :p
I know what you mean, but it seems to me like at the 60min mark, the average stack has only gone up by about 1k, which is basically just one good pot won.

What I'm doing to improve while not playing is watching the pokerstars.tv matches and I also try to predict how the hands will play out.

Last edited by Mewlove; Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 06:50 AM..

Old
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:06 AM
(#8)
I started playing 0,01/0,02 tables as well just to practice hand reading and so far after playing with someone for 10-20 hands I was able to place everyone on their exact hands every single time it went to showdown, and I was 80% sure of what they had and how I could either gain value or bet them off a pot every time. And how to cut my losses of course.

Old
. - Mon Feb 21, 2011, 02:14 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you need to look yourself up at oprankings.com. It's a good tool for following your ups and downs as you continue to play. I follow my stats there pretty regularly, and I've found that my perception of how I'm doing and the actual stats sometimes are very different.

Also, try the PSO 1K added sattys, with solid play you can cash in these quite a bit. The ticket you win is worth $11, there's no limit to how many you play, and there's three every day. PS adds 1 ticket to the $0.55 buy in, and 3 tickets to the $1.10buy in. See you on the felt.

Good luck!!

Old
Tue Feb 22, 2011, 05:59 AM
(#10)
Thanks joy. After looking at that I got a needed reality check. Thought I was doing way better then what that told me. xD Gonna take my practice more seriously now and bookmarked the site for the future.

Love Mew

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com